January 2016 Moms

Vbac mamas check-in

we haven't had one in awhile so wanted to see how you all are doing! I'm a little emotional today as I picked up my surgical records from my old hospital. It was hard to read them, and brought everything flooding back. Extra hard cuz dh is great and supportive of vbac but doesn't get why my section was so hard - "you and baby are safe" and all that. So I try not to talk to him about it.

How are you all?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Vbac mamas check-in

• Hi @MarleneG88! It's hard to have all those feelings and experiences brought back to the surface. While I am at peace with my c/s, I still get so so sad when I think about how DS and I were separated for 8 hours after he was born. I had complications so he couldn't come to recovery with me.

I had my 12 week appointment Monday. We got the results of the cfDNA testing (I'm 35 so insurance covers it), everything looks great with baby and we are having another Boy. I'm so so excited, I always imagined being a boy Momma. :)

However, another boy means another (most likely) giant baby. DS was 9lbs 14oz and 22". I'm trying to be realistic about a vbac actually happening (or not) with a 10lb baby.
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • @RunnerMeg I'm sorry you went through all that. It sounds much worse than my experience, so I have a lot to be thankful for. I hope you have a beautiful and wonderful birth, however it turns out. I'm also having to be realistic about a vbac happening, and it's a hard pill to swallow. I'm glad we're all in this together!

Also congrats on the boy! Bet big bro is super happy to have another boy to play with :D

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, can I take a seat here! I just started snooping on this board today and would love some VBAC support. I am pregnant with my third, due 1/25. My son was a c-section, born at 41 weeks after induction and long labor, he was 9lbs 4oz. 18 months later by daughter was born via successful VBAC at 42 weeks, she was 8lbs 5oz. I am really hoping for another VBAC this time around.

I need to quit giving into my food cravings and cut my sugar intake so I don't end up with another 9+ pound baby, but that is so hard for me!
  • @jeanbug12 welcome!! I love to meet new vbac hopeful mamas. I don't care how anyone chooses to birth, but it's so nice to meet and talk to and plan with other ladies who are trying to go down the same road. Good luck! I'm so jealous you've already done the hardest part, your first vbac! You've definitely gotta drop some hints and tips to us along the way :D

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hey ladies!

@MarleneG88 it's hard, but try to come to terms with the previous one. It was difficult for me to find the words to explain to my H why I was so devastated to have a c/s. I didn't even get to try laboring; it was a total slap in the face to find out DD was breech with no hope of turning. Felt like I was robbed, you know? But I've come to terms with it, and talking to my new OB definitely helped there too. I hope you can find some peace, put it behind you. Another baby is another chance :)

@RunnerMeg a vaginal delivery is possible, I believe in you! :) glad your LO is healthy!

Everything's going great here, I hit 13 wks tomorrow and most of the 1st tri symptoms I had are fading or already gone.
    I read The VBAC Companion by Diana Korte and that's helped me to feel fairly prepared and know what I want to happen this time around.
    I had a little bit of scar tightness when my uterus was stretching a little earlier but I found that massaging gently helped it.

Wow, that was a novel! Here's a cookie if you made all the way through ;)
  • @StephPegasus I also have been having scar pain. How do you massage it correctly? My paranoid self is worried about, like, puncturing my uterus or something equally impossible and ridiculous. But I really wanna do it effectively.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh and also @StephPegasus thanks for the encouraging words. It's so hard but I'm trying to come to terms, especially as it's definitely a possibility, and who knows it may be likely, that I'll need another section.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't know that it's correct, per se because I just kind of went with what felt the best. It tied into the round ligament pain across the right front side of my pelvis, so I used the first 3 fingers to press gently and rub in a circular motion across the painful spot.
  • @MarleneG88 I don't think I truely came to terms with my c-section until after the birth of my second. And I was so so scared going into those late weeks with my second pregnancy. My husband supported my decision, but at the same time wondered why I just wouldn't go for the repeat c/s. I was seriously starting to doubt whether my body really even knew how to birth a child, especially as I approached 42 weeks with no sign of baby! But it does :) You can do this!
  • Oh and also @StephPegasus thanks for the encouraging words. It's so hard but I'm trying to come to terms, especially as it's definitely a possibility, and who knows it may be likely, that I'll need another section.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? C/s is always a possibility (though sometimes very remote), but why do you think it's likely you'll need another?
    And how supportive of VBAC is your husband - is he saying "do what you want, you got this" or is he telling you he believes you can and will have a vaginal birth?
    Those are really important questions to talk about with him, because he should be your biggest supporter.
  • @jeanbug12 that sounds just like how I'm feeling this pregnancy. I'm hoping that even if I have another section, it will be less traumatic and will help with the healing

@StephPegasus I have not really discussed with my doctor yet. I'm part of a huge practice (kaiser) and have been seeing different ones til I find one I really click with, and of course the first two I saw don't even work in the hospital anymore, so I didn't want to discuss it with them. My next appt is with a np, and the one after that with a midwife, so I'm planning to being these things up with them. I would like them to help explain my surgical report too, even though they didn't perform it. As far as why I feel like a section is likely, I guess to be honest I'm just scared, and I'd rather have it in mind that it's a possibility than have it be a surprise to me and feel as traumatized as I did with my first. I think it's purely mental, since I'm healthy and vbac is definitely a good option for me so far.

As to dh, his mother and sister have had only sections and are of course fine, so I believe he's of the mindset that there's nothing wrong with a section. Which of course there isn't, but it's not what I want. Also, he's the "as long as everyone's healthy" type, and I honestly feel like he doesn't care how I deliver, and he's leaving it all up to me. He supports me no matter what, but really feels it's the end product that matters, not how we get there

Sorry, novel long lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MarleneG88 have you mentioned to the doctors that you want to do a VBAC? I had my daughter at a large practice too and found that only 3 of the Drs there were big supporters of VBACs, one of them even warned me that if one of those 3 were not on call the day I delivered that the attending may try to talk me out of it. I was able to request only those 3 during my pregnancy and lucky one of them was on call the day I delivered. They were all really encouraging and supportive. (And my L&D RN was AMAZING!) I am with the same Drs this time but one of the 3 has left the practice, so I have already put my request in to see only the other 2 :)

I think I had such a hard time coming to terms with my c/s because I felt pretty blindsided. I hadn't read a single thing about c/s because "I wasn't having one" , the thought never really even crossed my mind. Then I did have one and I felt so helpless and unprepared. Going in for my second pregnancy I was a lot more educated about c/s and delivery in general. I refused induction at 41 weeks and I didn't get an epidural, which I feel were both factors in my c/s. I felt like I was more in control of the situation, I think even if I had ended up with a c/s I would have felt a lot better about the birth.

• @MarleneG88 that is frustrating, my DH had the same attitude because his mom had c/s for 2 of her kids too. I had to sit him down and explain in detail why it was important to me to have his support and understanding of the vbac. Also, your husband may have some concern for either your safety or the baby's if you attempt a vbac, so be sure to talk about the risks of both vbac and ercs with him.

As far as the c/s being a possibility, well you've already had one so you know how it goes. Nothing to fear there, even if you end up in an emergency situation after being in labor. Unless you're planning an HBAC, which I strongly advise against. Its the worst case scenario, recovering will be even worse because you have a toddler now along with a newborn, but you and the baby will be fine :)
    It really helped me to read some vbac success stories too, the book I mentioned has quite a few.
  • @jeanbug12 you seriously sound just like me! Haha. What I'm told is my whole practice/hospital is supportive of vbac, so when I ask for the more supportive ones, I just get a "they all are" type answer. I want to try no epidural as well, or at least go half way without one. I also never did research in csections and was so unprepared for one.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love everything you said there @StephPegasus Birth without fear is a personal fav of mine to read vbac birth stories, though I haven't in awhile and should read some. I personally will never do a hbac, as the fear of complications, rupture in particular, make me definitely want to be in a hospital. I think you're right, and I definitely need to sit down with him. I'm hoping I can really get into detail in one of my future appts and have the dr/np/midwife really explain the benefits of vbac so he sees it from a medical standpoint as well.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • steph_pegasussteph_pegasus member
    edited July 2015
    Yes. Also what really assuaged my fears was talking with the ob about the acog recommendations/findings regarding successful vbac labors - not induced, not supplemented with pitocin, and not set with any arbitrary time limits for labor progression.
    Perfectly in line with the labor I wanted with DD, natural and non-medicated.
    Eta as well as what I want for this one.
  • Yes. Also what really assuaged my fears was talking with the ob about the acog recommendations/findings regarding successful vbac labors - not induced, not supplemented with pitocin, and not set with any arbitrary time limits for labor progression.
    Perfectly in line with the labor I wanted with DD, natural and non-medicated.
    Eta as well as what I want for this one.

I love all of that!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh, hey!  I totally need this thread!  A quick backstory: After a terrible labor and an emergency c-section (after trying so hard to avoid one), I'm struggling with planning for this labor.  Long story short, the delivery was terrible and there were complications for both me and my son.  He was tiny, only just over 6 pounds, so it wasn't like I had a huge baby trying to squeeze out.  I think they said something about the angle of my cervix or something, but they didn't explain much.

I didn't get to see the OB that did my delivery at my first appointment and the OB that I met with looked at my chart and left her answers about a VBAC very open-ended.  I can't wait to see my regular OB.  They don't seem confident in a VBAC for me but I still want to try.  Their answer was "maybe we can talk about you trying for a VBAC"...  not too encouraging.

My check in: I'm excited to finally be able to eat again- after nearly 7 weeks of not being able to look at food without gagging, I've actually had 2 days of real meals.  Hooray!  Other than that, I'm still super tired all of the time.

• Welcome @Cailin+Deas+Rua and @Jeanbug12! @Jeanbug12, I'm due January 25th too.

@Stephpegasus, thank you for the encouragement! :)

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • I met with my new OBGYN, and was shocked when he said I can still try for the VBAC this time. I figured because I already had 2 sections, and had to be induced with my daughter (although she was a successful VBA2C), that he would just say - automatic repeat.
    We didn't really get that much further into my birth plan yet. So. I guess that's a positive!
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • Hopeful for a TOLAC. My first was an unmedicated Bradley birth at 40w5d, and my twins were an unexpected (but not emergent) Cesarian at 38w1d. My previous OB, who has since retired, told me I'm a good candidate for a VBAC at my 6w appt. following my section, and my new OB within the same practice is supportive as well. Planning on an unmedicated and intervention-free TOL, but we all know how the best laid plans often turn out. My OB isn't too keen on me going past my DD, but at least is open to alternative induction methods like miso sticks and the Foley bulb. Surprisingly, Pitocin isn't contraindicated, but I'd really like to avoid Pit-induced contractions w/out an epidural.
    BFP #1 10/27/2009 ~ DS1 ~ BIRTHday 7/16/2010 ~ med-free Bradley birth @ 40w5d
    BFP #2 1/22/2012 ~ DS2 & DD ~ BIRTHday 9/13/2012 ~ unplanned C-section @ 38w1d
    BFP #3 5/4/2015 ~ EDD 1/7/2016
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Welcome new ladies! Love to grow our little community within a community :D

Ok so make fun of me all you want, but every time I hear Katy perry's roar I can totally imagine playing it on repeat during labor. It feels inspiring to me. I feel a little lame haha but whatever works to pump us up right??

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DH is also a little nervous. He wants to be cautious and doesn't like the risks of uterine rupture. My doctor, while supportive is very realistic about it and is kind of like we will have to wait and see. She said we will have to see how big baby looks (DS was 8lbs 7oz) and how labor progresses and if the uterus grew into the scar or something like that. I appreciate that she isn't getting my hopes up but I wish someone would just say "you can do this!"
  • @katiedid0907 I totally feel you. I have my mom who supports me, since she's had total of 3vba2c but I'm not super close with her. So this is why we're all here!! We can all do it!! But on the low chance that anyone ends up with a birth they weren't hoping for, we all will give it our all and that's what matters most. :D

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know this is back 3 pages now and a day old but just had to say @MarleneG88 you should definitely play whatever music inspires you. :)
    As much as I hated having the c/s, it was a great experience because the dr let us play our own music in the OR. We listened to oldies, which really helped me stay calm. Planning on that pandora station for labor with this LO too :)
  • @katiedid0907 just looking for more specifics, I'm definitely the enabler sort of support person. :)
    What doesn't your H like about the risk of uterine rupture? That it can happen? If you're planning a hospital labor & delivery they should be well prepared for an emergency of that sort, and if they aren't then nobody has any business delivering a baby there, let alone a vbac attempter. The risk of uterine rupture is about .7-.9% according to ACOG. The risk of uterine rupture for an ERCS is .4-.5%, which is not significantly lower.
    ACOG also recommends that suspected macrosomia alone should not exclude the possibility of TOLAC.
    If you would like me to share my ACOG article with you I am more than happy to. Maybe have your H read it as well.
    Also, don't be afraid to find a more supportive provider if you feel like this doctor is going to push you toward a repeat c/s. Yes, the possibility is there for all of us, but if you feel like your doctor is discounting the reasons you are a good candidate for vbac then it doesn't hurt to get another opinion. Another doctor may tell you the same things this one is, but they may not.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :D
  • SovvySovvy member
    I'm a little stressed. I'm switching practitioners here shortly and need to decide who I want to go with. I really like my OB but she's too far. My doula has helped me figure out who I want to go with but it still feels like this decision is weighty.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • @StephPegasus thank you for bringing the thread back. I love talking with you all and I love that we get new ladies looking for support!! You are a fountain of knowledge and I thank you so much! I also want to point out that women with no csections also have the possibility of rupture, and also that the rate of rupture with one prior section has the same risk % as some other labor complications, such as shoulder dystocia and a couple others I can't remember. (I gotta catch up on my research all )

@je&moeder I'm so sorry you're going through that. One of my biggest fears was having to switch providers. I can't imagine the stress in that! Good luck, and hopefully some ladies here can help you if they're in your area!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MarleneG88 it was important to me to know what I needed to make an informed decision but I think that @RunnerMeg actually has a lot more data on hand, I remember being surprised by how much she was quoting a while back in a vbac vs ercs thread :)
  • CaroBaby2CaroBaby2 member
    edited July 2015
    Thankful I found this posting. We recently moved so most of my support system is 10 hrs away. My hubby does a great job supporting me with trying for a vbac. However, he does not have the same fears or understanding how I do not want another c/s. My blood pressure went up at 33 weeks last pregnancy they induced me at 37weeks. The induction did not go well and I had an emergency c/s when I turned eclamptic. It was a whirlwind of activity. I am glad to see I am not alone in my fears or determination to have a vbac!

Thoughts: Since I am so far away from my mom and girlfriends I am thinking of getting a Doula. Anyone have one for a vbac? I am hesitant about the money in case I end up needing a c/s. Some give a portion fees back if you do end up with a c/s. Pros/cone.
    Thanks!
  • SovvySovvy member
    @CaroBaby2 a doula is a great idea for a VBAC. I'm having one.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • @CaroBaby2 I am also planning to have one. Not only are they there to support you & your H during labor & birth but there are numerous resources that show births that doulas attended used less medical interventions. @RunnerMeg can probably point you in the direction of some great research on this too :)
  • Happy Sunday ladies! Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend. Today is my birthday (shameless toot my own horn lol) so we've had a lot of fun this weekend. @StephPegasus thank you for the data shoutout!

Here are some extensive data regarding vbac. I'll post some data about the use of doulas later, but yes doulas are fantastic! I'm in a great evidence-based vbac group on Facebook. I've learned so much from the group (it has a lot of L&D nurses, CNMs, OB providers & residents, and regular Mommas in it). If anyone would like to join, PM me and I can send you the link. :)

Vbac data - These rates come from peer reviewed studies (Guise study, MANA study and Lieberman study)

The mortality rates (for babies) are as follows:

Hospital TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean)/vbac mortality rate = 1.3/1000
    Hospital ERCD (elective repeat cesarean delivery) mortality rate = 0.5/1000
    HBAC (home birth after cesarean) mortality rate = 4.75/1000
    VBAC in freestand birth centers mortality rate = 4.82/1000

According to ACOG, "at an individual level VBAC is associated with decreased maternal morbidity and a decreased risk of complications in future pregnancies."

The maternal mortality risks are as follows:

Hospital TOLAC/vbac maternal mortality rate = 3.8/100,000
    Hospital ERCD maternal mortality rate = 13.4/100,000

Since maternal deaths are so rare, they are measured per 100,000, whereas infant deaths are measured per 1,000. The risk of death for a baby born to a mother attempting a VBAC is an increase of 0.08%; the risk of death for a mother who attempts a VBAC is a decrease of 0.0096%. In other words, there are approximately an additional 9-10 deaths per 100,000 for women who choose ERCD and there are approximately an additional 80 deaths per 100,000 for babies whose mothers choose VBAC in a hospital setting.

A primary concern for repeat cesarean sections is the potential impact on future pregnancies. With each cesarean section, the risks increase. According to Silver RM, et al., "The risks of placenta accreta, cystotomy, bowel injury, ureteral injury, and ileus, the need for postoperative ventilation, intensive care unit admission, hysterectomy, and blood transfusion requiring 4 or more units, and the duration of operative time and hospital stay significantly increased with increasing number of cesarean deliveries."

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • I love you all and I love this thread! Thanks @RunnerMeg for all the wonderful info. I did so much research after dd was born and haven't brushed up yet. I am going to pm you about that group, cuz I'm in a few but none sound as knowledgeable as that one!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh and happy happy birthday @RunnerMeg !!!!! <:-P I don't know how to do gifs or I'd totally find one for you!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Happy birthday @RunnerMeg glad you're having a good weekend!!!
  • Aww thanks ladies! @StephPegasus I'll be coming back to toast with a giant glass of bubbly after January 25th (or whenever DS shows up lol). :)

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • RunnerMeg said:

Aww thanks ladies! @StephPegasus I'll be coming back to toast with a giant glass of bubbly after January 25th (or whenever DS shows up lol). :)

I can't wait for a drink after baby comes! I was so naive last time, and thought ebf = no alcohol, period. Now I know better, and will have my drink once in awhile lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • First timer here! I've just started coming back to TB with my second pregnancy. I had a really scary c-section with DS, but I also have a severe anxiety disorders which makes unfamiliar situations really hard for me to handle, so I almost decided to just do another damn c-section. Then I thought about being strapped to a table, and then being in the hospital for a whole week away from my son and I decided I was going to give VBAC a try since my doc said I could. Because of my anxiety, no matter what I choose, I'm gonna be terrified so I'm glad there's a group for this!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for posting here too @kristenhdavis . :) I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your previous C/S but if you really want a vbac then this is the best place to talk about it. Collectively we have quite a few different resources at our disposal so feel free to ask any questions!