May 2015 Moms

When to start putting baby in crib!

When did you guys start putting your little one in his/her crib at night and what is the best way to go about it? My baby is 7 weeks old and currently sleeps in her rock-n-play in our bedroom!

Re: When to start putting baby in crib!

• My LOs just turned 3 mo and I did it last week. The week prior, I started putting them in their cribs periodically for naps during the day. Then we just set up a good nighttime routine (bath, bottle, swaddle, book) and then put them in their cribs with ocean waves on the sound machine. They are usually either completely conked out from the routine or so drowsy that they don't mind going down for the night. I am so happy we did it - we went from 4 hours in between feedings to 6-7 hours! Good luck to you!
  • I've also been trying to put LO in crib for naps. They usually go okay but he most definitely needs to be swaddled to tolerate it. We still use the RnP at night because he still wakes for feedings and it's so much easier to get him back to sleep when he's right next to me and I breast feed. Once he sleeps for longer stretches we will put him in the crib (he's 8 weeks).
  • Loading the player...
  • We did awhile ago. We made sure to swaddle since he was used to feeling snuggled in the rock n play. He slept longer immediately in the crib. It was nice!

Now he's reverting back to sleeping shorter. . Ugh!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • erin79erin79 member
    We started putting DS in her crib for naps around 7 weeks, and then went full time crib at 8 weeks.  I wanted her in there by the time I went back to work, so my alarm wasn't waking her up.  Plus, I sleep much better when she's not right next to me, because I would wake up too easily with every little move she made.

Mos def still using the swaddle in the crib.
  • DS is 11 weeks old tomorrow and he's been in his crib since he was 2 weeks. He sleeps on his belly (I'm aware it's not recommended) but it totally works for us. He usually sleeps for 8 hours, nurses, then gives me another 2 or 3 hours.
  • We put LO in his crib, in his own room, at two weeks. Mommy sleeps better and so does baby man. Doesn't give me 8hr stretches but still sleeps good.
  • DMELDMEL member
    I did it at 4 weeks. We all sleep much better since
  • I'm planning on putting DS in his crib for naps starting at 3 months. He's taken the odd nap in there now (he's 8 weeks). He will transition fully to the crib at 6 months.
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I put my first in the crib at 3 months, once I went back to work and plan to do the same for this LO. My issue is the girls will be sharing a room and I'm afraid they will wake each other up...trying to figure what to do about bedtime.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We started at 3 weeks for naps, then the first stretch of the night and finally all night. We all get more sleep now that he is fully in his crib at 6 weeks.
  • Kye042Kye042 member
    I wanted to wait until LO slept through the night but my mother forced me at 4 weeks and let me say I am so thankful she did! I slept so much better which made me a better mom since I wasn't waking up to my very noisy sleeping son lol.
  • DD has been sleeping in her crib since her first night home. The nursery is adjacent to our bedroom, and with a video/sound monitor we can see and hear her without having to disturb her by sneaking in the room to check on her.
  • DD has been in her crib since day one. Haven't had any problems with her being upset about laying flat as long as she's swaddled. She usually takes her naps either in the rock 'n play/mamaroo/my chest tough. 

Us: Me (27) Hubby (27) Married since 7/24/10

BFP #1: 10/30/2007    DS born 06/20/2008

BFP#2 09/11/2014      DD born 05/01/2015

• jtay85jtay85 member
    My LO transitioned to the crib at about 6 weeks. I didn't want to keep him in the Rock 'n Play b/c he was unable to stretch his legs out. Also, the hard, plastic backing could cause flat spots on their head. IMO the crib is the most comfortable (and safest) spot for them.
  • DMELDMEL member
    Keep in mind the rock and play presents some SIDS risk with all of the padding on it. Just something to consider
  • I put my LO in her crib, swaddled, at 4 weeks. She didn't seem to like the bassinet and she slept so much better in the crib. I didn't do any sort of transition I just put her in the crib one night and she was fine. Now she loves to lay in there by herself and put herself to sleep with just her pacifier. In the morning she wakes up and babbles to herself for awhile before crying.....so happy we switched!
  • We had to switch at 4 weeks. This itty bitty girl started rotating herself in the bassinet while swaddled. We might have the next Houdini! She got herself lodged with her feet in the air. Anyway - pediatrician said to move her right away.
  • We're half and half. For the morning nap DS is usually in the front carrier because DD is up and I'm taking care of her. For the afternoon nap they both sleep so DS naps in his crib. It's his best nap of the day. Then DS goes in his crib for the first stretch of sleep in the night - which is around 5 hours - and when we wakes up I bring him into my room to spend the rest of the night in the bassinet. After that first longer stretch he's up every couple hours and I don't want to be going back and forth that often. I think I fully transitioned DD to the crib when she was 5 months old.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My baby slept in her room in her crib from day one. She now sleeps a MINIMUM of 8 hours straight but typically 10 hours a night. Just establish a bedtime routine like giving her a bath and listening to some lullabies before bed. I got an amazing mobile from babies r us and it has a projector that keeps them occupied and soothed of they wake up or have issues falling asleep. It also has lullabies and classical music that automatically turn off after 30 minutes. good luck! :) not having her in our bed has been my husband and I's only way of staying sane! We love her but mommy and daddy need quiet time too :)
  • My LO was in his crib at 5 weeks. He kept waking up when he was in his bassinet. He's now three months and is sleeping eleven hours straight every night. He does so much better in his own room in his bed.
  • My lo is 10 weeks. Hates sleeping on her back. Loves her side and belly. Any time for the crib?
  • My LO is 11 weeks today, and tonight is the first night she's in the crib. I pray she sleeps good, she's normally in the room with us and sleeps all through the night. So just gotta hope! Lol
  • I love this thread because this is my one and only issue right now!! Unfortunately around 2 weeks my girl started to hate her bassinet and would only sleep in my arms in my bed.. I was so upset because I didn't want to have to sleep with her in my bed cause of the dangers but it was the only way to keep us all from sleep deprivation.. She will be 10 weeks on Wednesday and I want to get her in her own room now because she has started tossing and turning which wakes me up makes me toss and turn which wakes her up and it's a terrible cycle. I try putting her in her crib for naps during day but she wakes up within 5 mins :( I want to try this noise machine thing everyone's talking about or maybe Mobile as she likes the one on her swing (which she sometimes sleeps in) ahhhhhhhhhh why are babies so complicated????
  • I love this thread because this is my one and only issue right now!! Unfortunately around 2 weeks my girl started to hate her bassinet and would only sleep in my arms in my bed.. I was so upset because I didn't want to have to sleep with her in my bed cause of the dangers but it was the only way to keep us all from sleep deprivation.. She will be 10 weeks on Wednesday and I want to get her in her own room now because she has started tossing and turning which wakes me up makes me toss and turn which wakes her up and it's a terrible cycle. I try putting her in her crib for naps during day but she wakes up within 5 mins :( I want to try this noise machine thing everyone's talking about or maybe Mobile as she likes the one on her swing (which she sometimes sleeps in) ahhhhhhhhhh why are babies so complicated????

Your little one sounds just like mine!!
  • pepperpup said:

I love this thread because this is my one and only issue right now!! Unfortunately around 2 weeks my girl started to hate her bassinet and would only sleep in my arms in my bed.. I was so upset because I didn't want to have to sleep with her in my bed cause of the dangers but it was the only way to keep us all from sleep deprivation.. She will be 10 weeks on Wednesday and I want to get her in her own room now because she has started tossing and turning which wakes me up makes me toss and turn which wakes her up and it's a terrible cycle. I try putting her in her crib for naps during day but she wakes up within 5 mins :( I want to try this noise machine thing everyone's talking about or maybe Mobile as she likes the one on her swing (which she sometimes sleeps in) ahhhhhhhhhh why are babies so complicated????

Your little one sounds just like mine!!
    Let me know when you find the solution lol
  • OMG UPDATE!! Sooooo I took advice on here for practice.. I swaddled her put lullabys on iPad for temp solution until I can go shopping tomorrow.. Turned lights off walked with her till she fell asleep then carefully put her down with out fussing with her too much and she's asleep in her crib for the first time woooooo it's 5:30pm here so if she doesn't end up sleeping 8 hours she will still be up 1:30am.. Probably won't sleep that long though.. I will have to sleep on a matress on the floor though because I don't have a baby monitor yet
  • OMG UPDATE!! Sooooo I took advice on here for practice.. I swaddled her put lullabys on iPad for temp solution until I can go shopping tomorrow.. Turned lights off walked with her till she fell asleep then carefully put her down with out fussing with her too much and she's asleep in her crib for the first time woooooo it's 5:30pm here so if she doesn't end up sleeping 8 hours she will still be up 1:30am.. Probably won't sleep that long though.. I will have to sleep on a matress on the floor though because I don't have a baby monitor yet

We use a cheap fan for our white noise! When we put her down we turn it on and it's on until we go to bed. Then we turn it on so we don't have to listen to it over the monitor all night lol it sure has helped us!
  • I'm so jealous of all your LO that are sleeping all those hours. No matter what I do my little girl has a really hard time settling at night and wakes up a few times after we put her down before what I can only assume is her giving up. We have gotten 4 hours stretches out of her after it takes sometimes 2 hours to get her down for the night. So 4 hours the first stretch and 3 hours the second.
  • kt1244kt1244 member
    Does anyone's LO suffer from acid reflux and you have moved them to a crib? Mine still sleeps in the Rock and play because I'm nervous about the acid reflux. She's 9 weeks today.
  • My kiddo just turned 2 months old and we've been having him sleep in his pack n play since day 1. He's been sleeping through most of the night for about 3 weeks now (falling asleep at 10p after a feeding, then walking up between 5-6a). We live in a cape style house, so our bedroom is on the main floor and his is on the 2nd level. I'm not sure when to move him cause it's just so convenient to have him right there when I get up, instead of going upstairs. Any thoughts?
  • Wow I feel like we are on a completely different page than everyone here. We don't do naps in a crib or have any type of bedtime routine and we are still cosleeping at 10 weeks. But it works for us because we do a lot of traveling and I think if we had her on a set schedule it would make all of our adventures around Europe really hard. For the most part we just let her tell us what she needs and we adjust accordingly, but baby wearing and our uppababy vista make that really easy when we are out and about. And as long as she is close to me at night she sleeps like an angel! I wonder if I'll ever be revisiting any of these tips later (;
  • SarahBethDSSarahBethDS member
    edited July 2015
    Mine just turned 8 weeks. She has slept great at night since the beginning. Her stretches are getting longer and longer. Currently we swaddle her, feed her, then once she falls asleep nursing we put her in the bassinet with her white noise. She's going on average 6-8 hours the first stretch. If it's 8 it's hard to get her back to sleep. I think we could switch to the crib but I have the separation anxiety. She is my first and I like her close. :( I have one month left before I return to work so we will probably start the crib within the next 2 weeks. I promised my husband we would before I went back to work. Thank goodness for video monitors. I have a feeling I will sleep worse.
  • mars8kmars8k member
    I put DD in a play pen at my sister's which is where we stayed for 3 weeks after delivery and when i moved back home i put her atraight in her crib, i didn't even get her a rock 'n play i didn't know it was so popular until i read posts here lol

Thinking back maybe she would've slept a little longer had i got her 1 but now she's used to it
  • This is a great discussion because I had so much anxiety about switching from the rock n play next to our bed to her crib in her own room. We ripped the band aid off last night and she did ok I think (better than I anticipated). She slept from 10-2:30, but then kept waking up because of her legs being able to move. She woke up at 3:50. I put her down again by 4:15 and she was up at 5. Finally I put her in her rock n play in her room and she slept until 7:45. She was doing 6-8 hour stretches when in rock n play. I hope it gets better. It's great to have her in her room though. Does anyone have advice on keeping her legs from waking her? She was swaddled in a halo sleep sack with the swaddle arms. I've heard wonders on the magic Merlin but she is not big enough yet (have to be 12 pounds).
  • I am nervous to put my LO in his crib as well. He's 11 weeks old I try to put him in his crib every day for 15 to 20 mins some times longer I have tried to put him in there for naps but every time I put him in there he wakes up. Every one in my family is pressuring me to do it. I feel like he's too little and I like him close to me. At night he sleeps in his rock and play next to my side of the bed. I am trusting my instincts because I know what's best. But I worry I am going to have a hard time with him later on. Am I just being a nervous nelly? Any thoughts ladies
  • @flutterby120 - I completely agree with you. I am not planning on having DS sleep in his room until 6 months. I plan to start getting him to nap in there at 3 months to get him used to it. He's 2 months today and I've only laid him in the crib for the very odd nap (maybe one a week). I know of a lot of parents who waited to transition to the crib much later. I'm not too concerned. Maybe I'll regret my decision later but for now I feel a lot better having DS in our room. Plus he just looks so tiny in that big crib right now.
  • I am so glad I am not the only one
  • I'm planning to have my lo cosleep in her pack and play until around 5 to 6 months. I think I might be in the minority. We are breastfeeding and it's just too easy to have her right there. She goes right back to sleep too. Whatever you feel comfortable with.
  • Ha. Yall make me feel so much better... I honestly don't know when I'll feel good about moving my girls into their own room. I like to hear them breathe in the middle of the night. I love it. They are still in their bassinets but I know they'll grow out of them soon. I am just gonna move their cribs into my room. Haha.