January 2016 Moms
Options

Maternity leave questions for HR

I've read through other articles and posts about maternity leave, but didn't see any that really addressed this.  I am a teacher and I have a meeting with HR next Monday to discuss maternity leave.  I thought it would be a good idea to go to the meeting prepared with a list of questions to ask.  For those of you with experience (and those with good ideas!), what are some questions I want to make sure that I ask HR next week?  I want to make sure that I cover all of my bases and don't forget to ask something big.  

I'm also possibly thinking about quitting and not returning to work when the baby is born... but I want to know what the consequences are (sometimes a teaching license can be suspended if a teacher quits mid-year).  Is there a way to tactfully ask about the consequences/possibilities of doing this?

Re: Maternity leave questions for HR

• Options
    Ask how long you're given leave and if it's paid and at what percentage of your normal pay. Ask if the leave time is different if you deliver vaginally or have to have c-section (it is where I work). I'll try to think of anything else but baby brain is kicking my ass right now.
  • Options
    steph_pegasussteph_pegasus member
    edited July 2015
    Ask about FMLA too.

Eta have a friend who is on long-term disability now after having pelvic complications from her vaginal delivery - you just never know what's going to happen when it's go time.
    I got confused, sorry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a section for policy notices on my company's intranet. I am able to use 12 weeks for FMLA, and then I can also request a personal leave of up to 3 months. I know I'll use more than my 12 weeks with possible home rest/bed rest/ unforeseen complications- so it's nice to have option for leave too.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    Hrc724Hrc724 member
    If you have short term disability, you will probably get 6 weeks for vaginal and 8 weeks for c-section. Find out if there is a waiting period before benefits kick in. Usually there is a 7 day calendar wait for sickness but accident/surgery kicks in immeditely. Find out if vaginal counts as sickness and c-section as accident. Then if you have been in your job for a year you should be able to use FMLA for up to 12 weeks. Ask if FMLA runs concurrent with STD, it probably will do you will get 12 weeks total. Find out if you have to use any available vacation time during your leave, will it also run concurrent? Ask for the paperwork for both STD and FMLA. You should also ask what is required of you while you are off, in terms of follow up paperwork. There may be none, your STD carrier may want doctor's notes from visits, and no that is not protected by HIPPA, you will have to sign a HIPPA waiver as part of you disability paperwork.
  • Options
    skfgskfg member
    If you have short term disability and long term disability insurance, I'd ask about the details ie how long before std and ltd kick in (not sure if it differs by policy/state laws). Are you part of a teacher's union? If so, your union website/rep should also be a good resource. Also any questions you thinks may be red flags, I'd hold off on asking until later on. Better to share too little than too much w/HR.
  • Options
    tjlfy6tjlfy6 member
    I am a teacher and our school district has a sick leave pool that you are able to request days from as long as you donate at the beginning when you began teaching. I would ask if you have this available, because it definitely helps offset the cost. I would also ask if you are only docked for days that are contracted or do long weekends/ holidays count toward your pay. I only know about Misdouri but if you don't finish out your contract the district has the option to contact the state and have your certificate revoked so that is something I would definitely ask about.
    BabyFruit Ticker TTC: 2011 BFP: February 10, 2012 Natural M/C: February 28, 2012 BFP: June 3, 2012 EDD: February 1, 2013 Pre-e diagnosis, est. delivery date Jan 11th
  • Options
    I recommend supplemental long term disability. You should be set short term but long term DI thru the school isnt easy to financially plan on. In Ohio, you get 45% pay (also depends on how long you've been teaching- you may have 5 or 10 years of no coverage before it kicks in). That 45% is taxable so it's going to feel like 30% after taxes. If you're unable to go back to work, that insurance company your school uses could deny your long term disability claim because you never returned to work (group insurance policies cut a lot more corners than personal policies)

So get a personal long term disability plan- as long as you get it while employed, it will continue to work after employment ends and it can either supplement or replace the benefit you'd get thru the school (depending how much coverage you get). Teachers tend to be rated favorably so it's not very expensive.

** hopefully youll have a great recovery and won't even need to use long term disability but it's important to be familiar with it. Ask HR if you're covered under group LTDI and what % of pay you'll receive, as well as when it kicks in (usually after 91 or 181 days)
  • Options
    If you're a teacher on a contract, all of your leave benefits should (?) be outlined in that contract. Ours says specifically how many paid days we can use our sick days towards for FMLA, how many unpaid semesters off we can take following the birth and still have a position, etc.
    -LJ
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AnEarthenVessel YES!! Props to you for being so proactive, I don't run into many people that plan ahead like that. No matter what profession, the own occupation definition is so crucial. My dad was a sportscaster, and when he had cancer, his DI through work wouldn't pay out because of the "any occupation" definition. He would've had to prove that he couldn't do ANY job in order to get the benefits (plus, he could still watch sports and speak, so they said he didn't qualify). If he had an own occupation definition via a personal plan, he would've been covered.

*note some work plans offer an own occupation definition but only for 2 years, after that it switches to any occupation.
  • Options
    Just as a forewarning- if you're thinking you aren't going to return to work and that's what ends up happening, you will also most likely be required to pay back the health premiums your employer paid on your behalf while you were out on leave. I would definitely ask about that. 
  • Options
    I'm a teacher as well and just met with HR today. Unfortunately we can only use six weeks as paid (through saved sick days) unless I get written consent from my doctor. I'm having anxiety about attempting to pump at school without any breaks until my lunch at noon. I just can't imagine going from five-six hours and then needing to pump through my lunch break, so I'll definitely be talking with my doctor in hopes to get approval to use all of my saved days to take the rest of the year off. Good luck with your meeting!
  • Options
    willashbabywillashbaby member
    edited July 2015
    @KTLynn19 they do need to provide you with time and a private place to pump. That's law depending on what state you live in https://breastfeedinglaw.com/articles/pumping-9-to-5/ If you don't live in one if these states (and even if you do) I would discuss this with your supervisor before you go on leave so something is in place when you return.
  • Options
    @willashbaby -I was just reading that. Too funny! I know they would accomodate. I think it would actually be harder for me. I'd meet with my other classes full time but then would have to have some one cover/teach part of each day. I know it can be done; I just really don't want to lol
  • Options

Just as a forewarning- if you're thinking you aren't going to return to work and that's what ends up happening, you will also most likely be required to pay back the health premiums your employer paid on your behalf while you were out on leave. I would definitely ask about that. 

If that is the case, maybe go back for a week and then quit. ;)
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    KTLynn19 said:

I'm a teacher as well and just met with HR today. Unfortunately we can only use six weeks as paid (through saved sick days) unless I get written consent from my doctor. I'm having anxiety about attempting to pump at school without any breaks until my lunch at noon. I just can't imagine going from five-six hours and then needing to pump through my lunch break, so I'll definitely be talking with my doctor in hopes to get approval to use all of my saved days to take the rest of the year off. Good luck with your meeting!

Like, you need your doctor's permission to have a baby and then take time off for it? What madness is this?!

• Options

If that is the case, maybe go back for a week and then quit. ;)

Lol unfortunately, that's not how it works. You could certainly go back and quit, but it doesn't matter because you'd still have to pay back the amount they paid on your behalf while you were on leave. Health care premiums aren't taken out of short term disability or during unpaid maternity leave, but the company still paid on your behalf and expects to be reimbursed for the amount of time they covered you.
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and thinking about not returning as well. To make sure I don't have to pay back employer paid benefits, I will have to go back to work for one day before summer vacation. Do you have other new mommies at your school? They have been my best resource.
  • Options
    So, I know most of you ladies are teachers, I am not, but I was wondering if any of you more experienced moms could help the FTM navigate through this! :)  I am a worship leader who works for a small church. We do not have a maternity leave policy for employees at all. Our handbook says I need to write a letter to our church council (they handle most HR stuff) for "personal leave" requesting what kind of leave I would like to take and what I'm hoping for. I honestly don't know what to ask for! The only other person on staff that has had a baby was 9 years ago, and there was a different pastor, council, and almost the whole staff was different! I do know that she negotiated some kind of leave where she got some pay, but things are really different now. 
    Any advice on what I should include in my request? How long I should ask for, and what kind of pay I should expect. I have no idea on standards and since the USA has no federal maternity leave (ugh, come on congress) I don't know what to ask for! Help!