January 2016 Moms

A bowel discussion

Sorry, not the classiest question, but anyone have any advice for constipation?  It's something I've dealt with my whole life, but my normal routine is no longer working.  I eat oatmeal in the morning, eat yogurt and add benefiber, drink lots of water, and eat fruits/veggies.  I feel like nothing is working.  I even tried some yoga moves last night that supposedly help with digestion.  When I spoke with my doctor over the phone (asking if benefiber was ok), they specifically said no laxatives, which I'm totally cool with, but haallllpppp!

TTC #1 10/2014
Low progesterone
BFP 05/2015
Baby boy born 01/2016
Currently: NTNP

Re: A bowel discussion

• Have you tried a cup of coffee in the morning?
  • Paige6410 said:
    Have you tried a cup of coffee in the morning?
    I have.  Coffee has never had that effect on me (which is awesome, but sucks in this scenario).

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Loading the player...
  • @nlwz123 there are a few threads about it a few pages back on the board with lots of great suggestions, so you may also want to look there.

Maybe a stool softener and/or herbal teas? I've seen those suggested before.
  • nlwz123nlwz123 member
    edited July 2015
    @nlwz123 there are a few threads about it a few pages back on the board with lots of great suggestions, so you may also want to look there. Maybe a stool softener and/or herbal teas? I've seen those suggested before.
    Thanks.  I had tried searching and I wasn't finding much, and I didn't want to resurrect a zombie thread just to say "well, none of these work for me, SO HELP!"  I have tried several herbal teas, and they definitely USED to work for me pre-pregnancy, but not anymore.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Totally get it, glad you tried. Pregnancy just effs everything, and I know I've read that your digestion does get impacted because the body is trying to withdraw as many nutrients as possible for the fetus.
    I read somewhere that warm (not hot) water with fresh squeezed lemon juice in it first thing in the morning might help.
  • daisymomof3daisymomof3 member
    edited July 2015
    Look up a squatty potty. Lots of science behind these stools, cheap, and people swear by them.

https://www.squattypotty.com

ETA: to add link
  • Also (& you should check with your doctor on this as I'm not sure of any implications it may have when you're pregnant) I have a holistic nutrition book that recommends a magnesium supplement for constipation.
  • Colace! I want to shout it from the rooftops! I have been taking one daily with my vitamin since about week 8 and it has made all the difference in the world. I also do culturelle and fiber gummies.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hrc724Hrc724 member
    I am having this problem too and now I have to take iron 3x a day! I fear I might not poo till my child is in high school! I am taking 100 mg of colace twice a day and I'm drinking Metamucil. Tonight I will try MOM as that is on a list of safe medications my doctor gave me.
  • Thanks for all of the suggestions!

@MrsBeyl, those are kind of hilarious to me. lol.  I'm definitely going to try it just with a regular stool at home to see if helps, though!  It's worth a shot at this point.

Also going to try the warm water and lemon juice, mostly because it just sounds good!  Also going to give the metamucil a shot!

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• I know someone who swears by a melted pat of butter in their coffee. NO thank you, but apparently it works wonders.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • nlwz123 said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

@MrsBeyl, those are kind of hilarious to me. lol.  I'm definitely going to try it just with a regular stool at home to see if helps, though!  It's worth a shot at this point.

Also going to try the warm water and lemon juice, mostly because it just sounds good!  Also going to give the metamucil a shot!
    I know! I laughed hysterically. My husband has IBS and constipation and using a stool helped tremendously. It doesn't fit around the toilet, but it does it's duty (ha!).

I thought the illustrations were funny. Hope you for a giggle.
  • Bahahahhahah
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't has this issue pregnant.. baby has been a wonderful regulator for me. But prior to this I would sometimes get early relief from a warm bath. Not hot, obviously, but nice and warm seems to help relax and loosen everything. Acupuncture helped me a lot as well.
  • nanampnanamp member
    @Beverly0628 - I've been taking 3 a day!
  • I've used Culturelle in the past too...incredible!
  • skfgskfg member
    Warmed prune juice worked for me when everything else failed. It doesn't need to be super hot. Not the most pleasant, but it did the trick.
  • This is not a miracle solution, but in my case I find that I have to take metamucil everyday first thing in the morning, plus coffee. Tons of water. And something butternut squash-based (soup mostly, sometimes puree like for babies) at noon always. All of this has to be done in order to have some hope of things ever moving, but doesn't necessarily work everyday. I'd really suggest give the butternut squash a chance.
  • At work we give post op ppl who's bowels take a while to regulate again a colace and warm prun juice with MOM mixed in. It normally dose the trick for them
  • Also (& you should check with your doctor on this as I'm not sure of any implications it may have when you're pregnant) I have a holistic nutrition book that recommends a magnesium supplement for constipation.
    Magnesium supplements will definitely help and they're safe in pregnancy when taken at the recommended dosages. I'm taking them for migraine prophylaxis and they've definitely kept me on the regular side. 

Also, if your fluid intake ok? Dehydration definitely worsens constipation and its very easy to get dehydrated if you're having MS too. 

Are you taking DHA? I know some FP docs that recommend fish oil (which we can't take) to help with constipation so the DHA may have the same effect.

Thanks! Yes, I am very well hydrated and haven't thrown up at all from MS, and yes, my prenatal has DHA in it.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• I started using colace Monday. HUGE difference!!
  • JAGClark said:
    I started using colace Monday. HUGE difference!!
    Did you ask your doctor before you started it?  My concern was they specifically told me not to take any laxatives.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• What about fiber gummies? I got some at target after reading those might help. I don't want to go there, but I had this problem for weeks, it was miserable. The lengths I went to just to poop!!! I would try fiber gummies which hopefully give you the urge then do a glycerin suppositorie for just that extra reassurance if it's been a few days.
  • Hrc724Hrc724 member
    nlwz123 said:

JAGClark said:

Did you ask your doctor before you started it?  My concern was they specifically told me not to take any laxatives.

Colace is a stool softener, not a laxative.
  • Hrc724 said:
    JAGClark said:
    Gotcha.  I've never taken a laxative, so I must have misheard my doctor when she was quickly listing off the meds.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• nlwz123 said:
    Hrc724 said:
    JAGClark said:
    Gotcha.  I've never taken a laxative, so I must have misheard my doctor when she was quickly listing off the meds.
    Oh wait, nevermind.  Now after looking it up I see that she must have said peri-colace (both a stool softener and laxative).

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• gdazegdaze member
    Mineral oil helps me out but I wouldn't do it all the time ( not to be confused with castor oil)
  • These ladies have put some great suggestions out there, I'd like to add one more. When you eat fiber it is the "broom" that kind of sweeps everything together and gets it ready to exit, but you need some fats in your diet to move things along (fats are like the lube of the intestines). Sometimes I find that fiber is enough to get things moving, but if I have been low on fats sometimes I need a little bacon to get it happening down there lol. Good luck!
  • Dulcolax has come out with a 'stimulant free' stool softener which works for me. I am good taking one gel cap every other night with my vitamins. I checked with my OB upon making a decision and was told it was okay.
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Mmmm bacon....
  • Maybe try the sugar free Haribo gummy bears. ;)
  • I struggled with this same issue and talked to my doctor about it. She said it is often the iron in prenatal vitamins. I switched to a vitamin without iron and also added a cup of fiber one cereal into my daily routine (her other advice). It has made a world of difference and I am back to going once a day. Good luck!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • mvhydemvhyde member
    mesamyt said:
    Maybe try the sugar free Haribo gummy bears. ;)
      This article for the best reviews
  • claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited July 2015
    Iron free prenatals, fiber gummies, and Colace as previous posters said. Since no one else said it yet, celery and other high fiber veggies help. Maybe celery (fiber) with peanut butter (fats) would help? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • I use citrucel pretty much daily and it usually does the job. If not, prune juice or colace. My doc also blamed the prenatal. She said since I'm in 2nd trimester I could take the prenatal every other day until symptoms subside. Good luck!!!
  • Have you tried glycerine suppositories!??? They'll work within 20 mins. They don't qualify as a laxative.

Kiwi and plums are the best fruits as are all that begin with the letter "p" according to my Dr. :)
  • Colace!! It's seriously amazing. I had baaaad constipation to the point that I was impacted around week 8. I'm 12 weeks now, and I've been taking Colace ever since. I go regularly once a day now. Life saver!!
  • girl I feel you an enema with coconut oil once in a while works wonders my doc gave me the thumbs up on that
  • As a nurse unfortunately my work revolves around poop lol. My go to's are avocado (surprisingly high on fiber, also good fats) , flax (same as avocado) and berries (fibre) in a smoothie daily if you can. Also pay close attention to your movements and aim for one per day. Any less and they get harder and more difficult to pass. If I'm feeling a little backed up I take my hot cup of tea (or hot water with lemon, or herbal tea) with me to the bathroom, get out my stool (like discussed above) and drink the tea as hot and as fast as I can tolerate while sitting on the toilet. The combination of the heat in the tea and the squatting position works every time!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers