October 2015 Moms
Options

Baby Showers for Team Green

it was left up to me when I'd like to have my shower- it has been suggested I wait until after baby is born because we don't know the sex.
What is everyone doing?
(I'm due oct 25 and don't want to contend with Christmas parties either)

Re: Baby Showers for Team Green

• Options
    We're team green and having 1 before and 1 after. My mom's friend is hosting one before for family and old friends, and my sister is hosting one after birth for my friends. I think either option is great! Most items are easy to buy in gender neutral options, and clothing can be found, too, just a little harder.
  • Options
    I'm having a shower thrown before team green baby's due date. For me it's not that hard since I don't want a bunch of gender-specific items (especially if I have other children I want to reuse, not feel like I have to buy new crib sheets). Clothing is the toughest, and most I plan on doing after birth. Just register for enough basics for the first few weeks. I like the idea of a before and after shower if you're fortunate to have two!!
    fail halloween fall costume minions GIF
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My hosts are throwing one for me before baby is born. I registered for everything gender neutral. I didn't find it very hard to find some cute gender neutral clothing. They grow out of it so quickly anyway. It was offered to me that I have a sip and see shower after the baby is born in addition to the one before but I politely declined. One shower is enough for me.
  • Options
    knottymommaknottymomma member
    edited July 2015
    We are doing our shower before baby arrives. I didn't see a whole lot in the way of gender neutral, so I registered for all white clothing. Mostly onesies, pants, socks, and hats. My plan is to dye them the colors we want after baby is born.
  • Options
    I attended one today for a friend who is team green. There was no shortage of gift options, I promise! She didn't get many clothes, but that tends to be overbought for new moms anyway. Some gifts she received: nursery decor (neutral, green I think), nursing cover, books, diapering items, a car seat base, a few baby toys, plates/sippy cups...there was plenty! I would do it before in order to have time to organize everything before baby arrives.
  • Options
    We are also having ours before. I don't want that many people around the baby at once after
  • Options
    McRadMcRad member
    Ditto doing one before. I registered for all neutral things and have zero clothing items on the list- besides a few sleep sacks and two swaddle blankets. I have been finding clothing on my own and love that I'm not bursting at the seams with pink/blue clothing. Like others have said, there's a ton of gender neutral options for everything.
    Plus if you do it prior, you've got everything set up and ready to go rather than waiting until after.

I will do a sip and see after-- no gifts at all-- just so family can meet baby but we also live away from, literally, every single family member on both sides.
  • Options
    crbpjbcrbpjb member
    My shower is in a little over two weeks. That wasn't even a question for me or my family I guess. I don't need people to buy baby clothing. I like gender neutral and there are certainly less gender neutral clothes but there are still plenty of cute ones.

I like all of the other stuff neutral anyway. And I can easily get some gender specific clothes after the baby is born. I may just give my sister or mom money and have them run to target. I trust them.

I am glad to not be swimming in pink or blue after a shower (even though any gift is greatly appreciated). I just don't love other people's taste in clothing always so I'm really okay with not getting it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having mine before. I've had no problem finding stuff to register for. Clothing I can get afterwards for the first month or so it'll be onsies and sleep sacks.
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies, great suggestions!
  • Options
    We have our shower coming up on Sunday. It looks like pretty much everything on our registry has been purchased. I'm sure we'll probably end up with some neutral clothes, but I figure we'll get the necessities handled and a few outfits. I know the grandparents are going to buy a ton of clo
  • Options
    I'm having mine before (in about two weeks). I registered for some gender neutral swaddles and some white onesies, but that is the only clothing. Everything else is gender neutral gear. I figure I will still get some gender neutral clothing, as some friends and family have already mailed us some.

My mom is staying with us for a few weeks after the baby is born so she will get a lot of baby clothes then. And I've been promised hand-me-downs from people depending on the sex. 

I thought about doing something about baby is born but I really did not want a party so soon after delivery.
  • Options
    VioletandRoseVioletandRose member
    edited July 2015
    Mine is before...everything I registered for is gender neutral. I'm not big on girl/boy specific items anyway. I didn't register for any clothing outside of some plain white kimono shirts, not because of team green, but because I know people will buy clothes and cutesy stuff anyway. Personally I'd rather have them buy off my registry, so I'm hoping that by not knowing the sex it will lead them to buy more useful items. Between me and my mom, the baby already has a ton of unisex clothing for the first few months, and I know as soon as the baby is born my mom will go to the closest store and buy all kinds of gender specific clothing...
  • Options
    We are having ours before and we are team green. We registered for all gender neutral items and it seems like lots of stuff has already been purchased. We didn't want lots of clothing because we will buy that as soon as baby arrives. I think it's smart to do it before. I feel like we are getting more of what we NEED instead of either pink or blue clothes! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Team green! Having one before, again hardest part is clothes but from what I hear you will get flooded with clothes after baby arrives ;) enjoy!
  • Options
    Having mine before and I found it really easy to do the registry. I'm with most of the others since this is my first so I really don't want all pink or blue items anyway. Also there's a lot of gender neutral clothes out there that are super cute especially the burts bees collection that target has and all the little animal clothes are adorbs.Also as soon as people find out what you had, you will get plenty of pink and blue clothes! 
  • Options
    casserole27casserole27 member
    edited July 2015
    I will never understand why people think they can't get you a gift if they don't know what sex you are having. 
    Baby showers have been around for WAY longer than ultrasounds, and everyone got along just fine. 
    I'm not going to change my mind on waiting just because it's convenient for someone else.

My mom and sister are throwing me a shower in September, I'm due Oct 24th.
    I did not know this but I guess my MIL is wanting to do one as well, and was talking to DH about it.  She wanted to do it after the baby was born which my husband is really not ok with.  He doesn't want a bunch of people around our new baby during flu season, and told them if they want to do one they have to do it before.  I love having him in my corner before I even say anything so I never have to be the "bad guy" with the in-laws. It will also be nice to get neutral things that we can use for future babies.
    Oct15 October Siggy Challenge: Maternity Costumes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't need one at all because we saved most of the stuff from our previous kids, but the church ladies really wanted to do one so I conceded to doing one afterwards.  I even had a couple of them suggest last Sunday that they come to the ultrasound and I turn my head so they can find out the sex of the baby...uh no!  This way they can buy clothes (which is really one of the few things I could use since my other two were spring babies) in gender specific colors.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I don't need one at all because we saved most of the stuff from our previous kids, but the church ladies really wanted to do one so I conceded to doing one afterwards.  I even had a couple of them suggest last Sunday that they come to the ultrasound and I turn my head so they can find out the sex of the baby...uh no!  This way they can buy clothes (which is really one of the few things I could use since my other two were spring babies) in gender specific colors.

I cannot count how many people have said this to us. My favorites are "You can tell us! We won't slip and tell you", "It's selfish to make everyone wait like that", "I'll just come to the ultrasound and find out so I can buy you things. I'll hold on to them until after so you won't know!" and my absolute favorite "Well, I'll just wait until after the baby comes and buy you a gift then."

If not finding out is such a burden on you, please don't feel the need to celebrate with us. I am looking forward to the moment where I hear my hubby say the words "it's a boy" or "it's a girl" and seeing the look on his face as he sets his eyes on his first biological little one. I don't feel that my thoughts on that are anyones business but ours and if it's inconvenient, you can go kick rocks! My life, my baby, my body - MY DECISION!
  • Options
    I'm not team green but I think it's a good opportunity (if you want to have a shower before) to get neutral basics you can use for future children and stock up on diapers of all sizes and wipes.