Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

High need sensitive toddlers... Am I alone?

From Day 2 our son has cried. And cried. And cried some more. What was labeled as colic and was supposed to go away at 3-4 months stretched out to almost 8 months. After we got some minor breaks in the crying for a little laughter and some firsts but mostly crying. He cries when going to bed and cries when waking up (5 out of 7 days a week). Health wise he has been checked out thoroughly and we have even had several rounds of blood work done to check everything. For 7 months he refused to soothe with anything except a bottle and we finally got him to take a pacifier and we were so relieved! He mostly sleeps through the night so that isn't a huge issue its just Constant fussy/grumpy allllllll the time when he is awake. It's gotten to the point it is driving my husband bonkers because he thinks he will never be happy and is pretty much refusing to consider having another baby for fear it will be the same. I wear him, breast fed him, have always been as loving as possible but it wears on us so bad! That being said I love him more than anything and the brief shining moments are so amazing. I know this too shall pass... But when??? The best description I have of him is where Dr. Sears explains the high need baby/child. Anyone else out there have a child like this? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel where they mellow out a bit? Tia
BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: High need sensitive toddlers... Am I alone?

• Has he been tested for allergies? Sometimes the only reaction a kid gets for a long time is to feel crappy and act miserable. I'm sorry that I don't have any other advice or reassurance. I know when I was a baby/toddler I was pretty much that way, and I have a lot of allergies. Once they figured out my allergies, I was a totally different child.
  • I am sorry for all the tears (your child's and likely yours). I know we want our children to be happy, or at least content.

I have a co-worker who's child was colicky continued - until age 4 or so (sorry). Because of this they did not try for a second child. Then at age 5 it was clear it was past but they couldn't imagine starting over with a baby with a 6 year old, so have just the one. He regrets it a bit, but at the time could they have done differently?

Wishing your child more moments of peace soon.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • DS2 had colic but it passed around 6 months when he started eating solids. Have you tried Gerber Soothe drops (probiotic)? It helped us. Is he gassy? Breastfed or formula? DS1 was really gassy because we mixed his formula. We started buying ready to feed and it helped a little and also put Mylicon gas drops in his bottle. DS2 was Breastfed until 1yr and is really fussy when he first wakes up. He gets mad if I offer anything to him or try to put him down so this is what I do...get a sippy cup and snack cup while holding him and put it down on the couch and sit down and turn on a musical baby show on tv. He calms down and starts grabbing snacks and drinking and then slithers off the couch and starts playing. Distractions help a lot when he's fussy. I'll put a napkin on my head and play peekaboo, pretend to sneeze or drop things on the floor like it was an accident. He finds it hilarious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jmknoxjmknox member
    We tried EVERYTHING. Gas drops, probiotics, chiropractors, the works.
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jmknoxjmknox member
    Could consider allergies but other than crying there are no physical signs and symptoms just fussiness. And I am still finishing pumping for him,he stopped latching/refused the breast at 8 weeks old so I exclusively pumped for him as well as donated 2500 oz of milk to a baby with a severe dairy allergy so I know it wasn't my milk. I will talk to DH about it. Yes as Soon as he wakes up we have milk, pacifier and his favorite tv show on to help him "wake up". I feel like he is a little better than when he was younger and I am used to it but DH has a rough time with him bc he is a mamma's boy.

• I don't offer anything other than an I get you. We have a similar baby here and it's so so challenging. We have also tried everything including doctors, chiropractor, diet changes, baby wearing, etc. She will be two at the end of the month. I had a break down on the way to pick my husband up at work. I am so sorry you are going through this as well. I hope you find an answer and things start to get easier.   
    Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020