November 2015 Moms

Baby wearing question

Experienced Moms... Do any of you own a Tula or Lillebaby? I'm trying to decide which carrier to get and can't really make up my mind. First hand experiences would be great. Thank you!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Baby wearing question

• I would love advice too! I've been using a 40/60 cotton/linen wrap and thinking of going 100% cotton. A friend said she think it will be too heavy but she's never wrapped with it. Anyone have experience?
  • I wore my first DD with a 100% cotton wrap. It's not so much that it's heavy.. I just gets really warm. I know there's a Moby wrap that's made with some kind of mesh material. I have no experience with that one but sounds a little more breathable.
  • Loading the player...
  • https://babywearinginternational.org/about-bwi/chapters/ In a lot of areas there are groups of women involved with Baby Wearing International. The link above is a list of their chapters and ways for you to get in touch with them. For a $30/yr fee they allow you to try any of the carriers they have in their library for 1 month. You can also go to their meetings and get tips on how to wear your baby and trouble shooting if you're having trouble. You can see and try on any of the wraps in their collection with a doll so you can figure out some of this before baby. I learned a lot from going to one of their events. I have pretty much decided on the Beco Gemini soft structured carrier, but am still debating the Lillebaby All Seasons. The exposable mesh back on the Lillebaby would be great during the 9 months of the year that it's hot in this area.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I always wore my girls in a cotton sling when they were tiny and then used an Ergo when they were older. I just bought my first Tula this week and am stoked about it.
  • @VexedMommy I'm actually going to attend their meetings. I found their groups on FB and everyone seems so helpful. Upon their recommendations I opted to go with a woven wrap for our first carrier. I ordered a Oscha last night

BabyFruit Ticker
  • To piggyback on this topic, has anyone used a mei tai carrier? I *think* that's the route I want to take but unlike Tula etc they don't have a big following so there doesn't appear to be the same wealth of knowledge, experience, and opinions to tap into. 
  • To piggyback on this topic, has anyone used a mei tai carrier? I *think* that's the route I want to take but unlike Tula etc they don't have a big following so there doesn't appear to be the same wealth of knowledge, experience, and opinions to tap into. 

I have a few friends who love them.
    You get the feeling of both a wrap and a SSC.
    Join the baby wearing on a budget FB page. There's always women seeking some.
  • Thanks @pontot31, I shall add that to my list of FB groups to join once the real world knows about the Nugget. I know there are approximately 6264025430561538923 different baby wearing groups so it's tracking down the one that's right for me that's the toughie!
  • I used an ergo with baby #2, and I tell you -- best thing I could ever do! Made going out with 2 kids actually EASY! I didn't have to deal with a huge stroller, I was hands free, DS slept in it and DD could walk or sit in cart. I know a few moms who have Tula and they love it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Which are the wraps/carriers you can use from newborn to "too heavy to carry" lol?
  • Which are the wraps/carriers you can use from newborn to "too heavy to carry" lol?

Any woven wrap you can.
    I have a Boba 3G and it goes from 8 to 45lbs with out an insert.
    Ergos you can with a NB insert and same with Tuals, but they recommend waiting with a Tula until they can sit on their own.
  • I know you can use almost all of the soft structured carriers from infant to 30+ pounds.  The Ergos require an infant insert.  I was told the Beco can be used with a rolled up blanket at the bottom to position the baby correctly.  That may go for the Ergo too, but I decided against the Ergo so I didn't pay the alternative information on it much attention.  I would definitely advise going to a meet up and seeing what's available and talking to the ladies who wear their babies constantly.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• According to the website for BWI that @vexedmommy posted above, mei tais also work from newborn thru toddler. 
  • According to the website for BWI that @vexedmommy posted above, mei tais also work from newborn thru toddler. 
    You're right.  I think most of the wraps (excluding the Katan) can be used through multiple stages.  I don't think I'm going to go with wraps so I didn't pay much attention to them.  Didn't mean to exclude them.  Sorry. 

• I plan on looking at mei tais also when I want to get another carrier. I got a super girly woven wrap so I'll make the mei tai better for my DH to use :) I can't wait till my Oscha gets here! I ordered it last night and it shipped this morning.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I can be honest, I really want to try baby wearing but I have no idea where to start. Can any experienced baby wearers suggest a good wrap for my first time to try out?
  • I have 3 Tulas, a mei tai, a k'tan, ring sling and size 4 wrap. I loved my k'tan in the beginning it was so easy then I learned to wrap and will probably only use that with this baby. Mei Tai have a much easier learning curve than wraps but I do not think it is more comfortable than my Tula. I have a toddler Tula for my 2 year old a couple standards I'll use for this baby. For the first few weeks I'll probably just wrap then switch to Tula mainly because it is quicker. I do not have experience with Lillebaby but have been looking into them. I just love all the adorable choices of Tula and if you are lucky enough to score a wrap conversion Tula they are amazing!!
  • helskos said:

If I can be honest, I really want to try baby wearing but I have no idea where to start. Can any experienced baby wearers suggest a good wrap for my first time to try out?

Get a k'tan for a new baby. Super easy. Better than the moby. Even my mom could figure it out.

Then around 3-4 months look into a soft structured carrier like a Tula or a Boba.
  • Thank you @Pontot31! That's exactly what I need, something easy to figure out.
  • helskos said:

Thank you @Pontot31! That's exactly what I need, something easy to figure out.

You're welcome!
    I had a moby and always needed help wrapping so I looked into something that was easier. I loved the k'tan.
    I kept the directions with me at first but then I was easy to do. My mom came to visit once every month or 2 and would wear my daughter too. She loved it and could do it by herself.
  • @helskos sorry, mobile won't let me quote. I asked a FB group what I should start with and they all suggested a woven wrap. They said the SSC's might not be comfortable while your body is going through all the changes the first few months after birth. You can wear them a variety of ways. Just seems there is a learning curve. So that's what I'm starting with and im going to pay the 30.00 for a membership so I can figure out what carrier I want from there :) hope that helped!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @helskos sorry, mobile won't let me quote. I asked a FB group what I should start with and they all suggested a woven wrap. They said the SSC's might not be comfortable while your body is going through all the changes the first few months after birth. You can wear them a variety of ways. Just seems there is a learning curve. So that's what I'm starting with and im going to pay the 30.00 for a membership so I can figure out what carrier I want from there :) hope that helped!

Woven wraps are beautiful and I love them but there is a learning curve. I liked the k'tan because it's easier while you're learning.
    YouTube does help a lot for different carries.
  • @Pontot31 yes, I told my mom to bring over a couple of my old dolls so I could practice. I also plan to attend some BWI meetings to learn as well. And as you mentioned, of course you tube! Lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Great idea with the dolls @knolliepollie! Will have to try it. I am looking to purchase my first wrap within the next couple of weeks.

Good 'ole you tube. I learned how to fold a fitted sheet on you tube. Haha!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
  • Any ladies thinking about getting the Ergo baby carrier can receive a $40 Amazon gift card with purchase today if they're prime members.

• mmk29mmk29 member

Any ladies thinking about getting the Ergo baby carrier can receive a $40 Amazon gift card with purchase today if they're prime members.

Did the deal expire? I don't see it :/
  • I clicked the top centered icon that says Member Exclusive Deal 25% off Graco, Britax, and More.  Beneath the Graco and Britax stuff was the offer for the Ergo.  You have to add the $40 gift card to your cart as an addon to get it I believe. 

• I have a Tula and I talk about how amazing it is every time I use it. Super comfortable and I love that it is handmade in Poland and they come in great designs.
  • My advice is similar to what pp have said....

I LOVED my ktan for the first few months. Then we moved into a structured carrier. I got an ergo because that's the brand I knew. It was fine, then I tried a Lillebaby and it was way more comfortable. I'd love to try a Tula but I can't really justify buying one since I already have carriers that work fine.

I work at a baby boutique and we just started selling Bobas so I will probably get one of those when this baby is born because I get a discount. I might try and sell my Ergo but my husband likes it so maybe it'll just hang in the trunk for when he wants to baby wear.
    YCSWU
  • I registered for both a Boba wrap & a SSC. The Boba wrap is cotton & spandex so it has a little bit of stretch to it. Based on the reviews I've read, a lot of people preferred the Boba's material over the Moby wrap. I believe Boba wraps are a little cheaper, too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited July 2015
    I don't have a Tula but I have an ergo and lillebaby. I Loved my lillebaby and ice I got it I stopped wearing the ergo, because it is much cooler (I got the mesh one), I could wear facing out (didn't very often but sometimes baby likes that view, and it had nice lumbar support. The boba wrap is fantastic for around the house, not as much in te way as a soft carrier and easy to get baby in and out of. I saw a soft side baby wearing device at buy buy baby that had a removable hard frame and I was very intrigued, but I really don't need another carrier
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Has anyone tried the Infantino Flip Advanced carrier? The price being so much lower than other carriers makes me wary but I don't want to write it off just for that reason.
  • We were able to try a bunch of different carriers in the parenting class we took. DH is 6'2 and I am only 5'3 so there were some that just didn't work for us. We decided to go with the ring sling. We can both use it, it's easy and light and it can be used for up to 34 pounds. We figure if we find it too difficult when the LO gets bigger, we will get a more structured one.
  • Ceb2015 said:

We were able to try a bunch of different carriers in the parenting class we took. DH is 6'2 and I am only 5'3 so there were some that just didn't work for us. We decided to go with the ring sling. We can both use it, it's easy and light and it can be used for up to 34 pounds. We figure if we find it too difficult when the LO gets bigger, we will get a more structured one.

My DH is 6'2 and I'm 5'2 and we both share a Boba 3G and just got a Tula and can easily switch between. He loves the boba.
    He's never tried my ring sling.
  • Pontot31 said:

Ceb2015 said:

We were able to try a bunch of different carriers in the parenting class we took. DH is 6'2 and I am only 5'3 so there were some that just didn't work for us. We decided to go with the ring sling. We can both use it, it's easy and light and it can be used for up to 34 pounds. We figure if we find it too difficult when the LO gets bigger, we will get a more structured one.

My DH is 6'2 and I'm 5'2 and we both share a Boba 3G and just got a Tula and can easily switch between. He loves the boba.

Between the Tula and the Boba which one do you like better? My grandma is getting me a wrap and asked me which one I would prefer and I honestly have no clue about the different wraps as a FTM.. If I tell her I'm not sure she will get both but I don't want to overwhelm her at the same time if that makes any sense..
  • Pontot31 said:

Ceb2015 said:

Between the Tula and the Boba which one do you like better? My grandma is getting me a wrap and asked me which one I would prefer and I honestly have no clue about the different wraps as a FTM.. If I tell her I'm not sure she will get both but I don't want to overwhelm her at the same time if that makes any sense..
    Those are both soft structured carriers. We really loved the boba. I actually just bought the Tula a few weeks ago but I've worn my 3 year old a few times.
    They both seem very similar.
    I love the purse hooks on the boba. The straps adjusters seem to be better placed in the Tula.
    They are both 100 times more comfortable than my ergo.
  • Pontot31 said:

Pontot31 said:

Ceb2015 said:

Those are both soft structured carriers. We really loved the boba. I actually just bought the Tula a few weeks ago but I've worn my 3 year old a few times.
    They both seem very similar.
    I love the purse hooks on the boba. The straps adjusters seem to be better placed in the Tula.
    They are both 100 times more comfortable than my ergo.

Thank you so much!! I greatly appreciate it!!
  • https://babywearinginternational.org/about-bwi/chapters/ In a lot of areas there are groups of women involved with Baby Wearing International. The link above is a list of their chapters and ways for you to get in touch with them. For a $30/yr fee they allow you to try any of the carriers they have in their library for 1 month. You can also go to their meetings and get tips on how to wear your baby and trouble shooting if you're having trouble. You can see and try on any of the wraps in their collection with a doll so you can figure out some of this before baby. I learned a lot from going to one of their events. I have pretty much decided on the Beco Gemini soft structured carrier, but am still debating the Lillebaby All Seasons. The exposable mesh back on the Lillebaby would be great during the 9 months of the year that it's hot in this area.

Thanks @vexedmommy! They actually have a group in my area that I am going to look in to. None of my friends have little people so I am really stuck on places to turn for advice other than this board!!