January 2016 Moms
Options

Husband: Am I being over sensitive?

So I'm 14 weeks pregnant. I had weight loss surgery so I eat small meals often throughout the day and snacks as well. We ate an early dinner, about 430pm; our nephews choice, Friendly's. I had about 2 chicken strips and maybe 5 fries. So, at 7 I was hungry again, my husband was out already and I asked if he could swing by the local diner that I love and get me Cream Of Turkey soup (they only have on Sunday's) and I've been craving all week. He made a big thing about it saying that I can just make something at home, I'm wasting money and I need to stop eating so much. Well, it's $4.... Your wife's happiness... And I lost 15 pounds this trimester already. I see a nutritionist and he was with me when she said I needed to be eating more. I could of went myself, but I figured he was already out and it was on his way. Needless to say, after a huge fight, and at 9:30pm, I still haven't had any thing to eat. My stomach is flipping. I snacked on 5
Cherries, and a cheese stick.

It's not like we're poor, or even in poverty. He owns his own business, he's successful. He already put away $6,000 since we found out we were pregnant, so I'm like what's the big deal over a $4 soup? Am I being unreasonable? This could be the hormones but I was seriously ready to strangle him.

Answers

• Options
    I get annoyed when I have to make extra stops when I just want to get home so I *kind of* see the get it yourself attitude. He was way out of line telling you that you need to eat less though. I would have my husband backing that shit up really quick.
  • Options
    I think your husband just didn't feel like running the errand, which I get, but once in a while you should indulge your sick wife.

At the same time, if you want something and he's drawing a stupid line in the sand, you can go get it yourself. All you're doing at this point is getting worked up even worse because you're starving.

I also have to eat every two hours so I am sympathetic I'm just trying to be realistic with you too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I see his point - you had already eaten and he would have needed to go out of his way for it.

At the same time, I also see your point. I also had weight loss surgery and 100% know the struggle of trying to get enough calories, carbs, protein, etc in now that I am pregnant.

My husband has always been very understanding of the whole eating deal bc of surgery and will usually go out of his way to do whatever it is he needs to for me. I can be a bit demanding, so I cut him some slack. If this was a one time thing and he normally is super conscious of what you need, you're probably being sensitive. I had a meltdown last week when he told me I should 100% not be drinking ginger ale. He was correct but in my mind it was the only thing I could tolerate at that very moment. Completely and 100% hormones on my end from that one.
  • Options
    Yeah I can't lie. I don't see his point. My husband and I always stop for one another. It makes sense if one of us is out to accommodate the other. But that's us and every couple is different I suppose.

Also, I wouldn't even speak to him if he commented on the amount of food I intake. None of his business! :)
  • Options
    cjd&kcjd&k member
    Nope. I'd be infuriated. Mainly because he said something about what you eat. You should be able to eat as much as you'd like. Even if you just ate 3 chicken strips or 15, you wanted soup. It he had just said "I would like to just come home" then fine. I for one, also don't like when my fiancé tells me that we need to be more careful with our money when I want something to eat or anything really. Unless we're unable to pay bills and what not, no need to be so up tight. I hope you've eatin and you guys are getting along now. Have a good night OP.
  • Options
    Do you have joint accounts? Does he get upset about your spending normally?

I would try to find out what the real issue was. Who care how much you eat, or about $4, so I think there must be an underlying issue.
  • Options
    What he said about your eating was totally childish and shouldn't have even been mentioned. I would definitely let him know that it was out of line.

His point about money is valid. Just because he owns his own business, doesn't mean you (collectively) should be frivolous with money. You had already dined out once that day, and yes your soup may have only been $4, but all those little incidentals really add up. Have you talked about your baby budget? If you plan on going back to work, I know daycare here runs about 13k/year for babies and toddlers. Not to mention all the extra food and diapers and wipes and, and, and... Money is a finite resource. I think you two should sit down and really talk about the money. We aren't in poverty, but we adjust as needed to live comfortably within our means and still be able to save.

Also, If you're craving something all week, let him know on Monday so he won't be defensive on Sunday when it comes time to enjoy your treat. Proactive communication works wonders!

8 Years
    2 Miscarriages
    2 Ectopic Pregnancies
    1 Round of Clomid
    1 Fresh IVF Cycle
    1 Bean and 5 Frosties!
  • Options
    shrsrishrsri member
    I can't deal with hunger and if my own spouse were to refuse me food honestly I would have lost it and set something on fire ...
    I'm 14 weeks as well and get hunger pangs often .. This is hardly the time to tell a pregnant wife to eat less..
    Is he worried that the eating will reverse the effect of the surgery ? If so you need to explain that once a baby is in the picture your priorities have to change !!!
  • Options
    I have my own bank account, so does he, and we have a joint one as well. He was literally down the block from the diner which is what pissed me off the most. And, he took my car out instead of his. I could of taken his car, but I figured he was out getting himself an Italian Ice, which I usually love, but I can't stand them now. And if he wanted to not pay for my soup himself, he also has an extra debit card from my account. I cook dinner Monday-Friday. Saturday is his late night working so we just do our own thing, and Sundays is our nephews choice. We don't have a budget. My husband grew up beyond poor. He had nothing so he wants to give our child everything he can. I have a sense of what is important and not with this, so I don't think spending what he wants to on a nursery is realistic. We also have to redo our floors before the arrival of our baby so the budget also goes into the house.

I have a 4 month maternity leave from work, and may or may not return back depending on what I want to do. I basically work just for our benefits. So it doesn't really matter if I work or not. We can get benefits through a private insurance. And my mom was a SAHM and we all turned out awesome so I mean, even if I go back to work when the baby is in school, it's not a big deal.

I also have a hard time eating greasy fries foods. I get cramps, diarrhea and nausea. Usually I get the Asian salad from Friendly's, yet they no longer offer it (how rude!) so I picked on some tenders.

His mom is dying. So I understand why he's been overly rude lately. We did move his mom into our house and she's in hospice here. She's in the hospital at the moment so he's been frustrated with the whole situation.
  • Options
    Well after your new post it sounds like he was just aggravated and didn't want to run an errand for you that he thought was unnecessary. Like I said before, I get that.
  • Options
    I don't think 2 chicken strips and 5 fries is considered a meal!!!! And a soup on top of that for $4 for your pregnant wife is NOT much to ask for...my DH would go out of his way to get me something I'm really craving if he is already out. I do understand if he had been working a day... But he has your car and was right around the corner ?? Sounds inconsiderate if you ask me.

We have a joint bank account... I take $ he takes $. It's our money he says even though he works 2 jobs and I DONT work. We both agreed that I would be a stay at home mom. After DS was born he realized how much work it is to be a stay at home mom. He is not very organized. He has a hard time paying bills on time, grocery shopping,scheduling doctor appointments, cleaning, hates laundry, gets impatient with DS a little too much.... He is grateful and happy to be the "provider" and had expressed how happy he is to have me at home. So we work out fine. Don't get me wrong. I don't go spending $$$ on just anything. Only the stuff we absolutely NEED!

I think you answered your own question though.... He may be stressed because of his mother. Especially if he is really close to her. Knowing a relative is dying is really hard emotionally.
  • Options
    I think that in addition to the stress with his mom dying, he may not be handling the stress of a new baby well. Men tend to worry not about the health of day to day of the pregnancy, but of supporting their new enlarged family and being the "provider" of said family. I would probably be lenient about him stressing out, but the commentary about how much you are eating is out of line, particularly since you went through the surgery and CAN'T stuff yourself at every meal. 

I think it is likely that he spoke out of stress and frustration, and didn't filter anything. Have you talked to him about how much his food comment upset you? He may not even realize it, but once pointed out he might apologize and you could have a really good discussion about how he is handling the stresses of his mom and expanding family. If he feels like he's being heard and supported, he might chill out.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    I have been eating breakfast at Tim Horton's literally every morning because it's all I can stomach, but it comes from my own account, so SO doesn't care. We both pay a percentage into our joint account, which covers all family and household expenses (including groceries), and then the remainder becomes an allowance for whatever we want.

We made a deal that solo meals out and treats are always our own expense, so I can't get mad when he spends $10 on junk food at 7/11, and he can't get mad when I go out to a restaurant for lunch with cco-workers. What I'm saying is that you might benefit from clearer "rules" or budgets for money, even if you share.
  • Options
    shrsri said:

I can't deal with hunger and if my own spouse were to refuse me food honestly I would have lost it and set something on fire .

Lol! This ^^
  • Options
    cawalpcawalp member
    shrsri said:

I can't deal with hunger and if my own spouse were to refuse me food honestly I would have lost it and set something on fire .

Agreed.

Just going to throw my experience in here. It does sound like he was worried about more than your $4 soup. Sometimes if I'm eating out a lot, DH will get a little upset and ask why I even bother to buy groceries. We put tons of money into savings every month and he still freaks out over money, it's just a guy thing. They need to provide for us.
    Last night I wanted spicy nuggets from Wendy's and he got all annoyed because I didn't want anything we have at home so I didn't go. About 30 mins later I was throwing up and he went to get me nuggets. They always come around.