July 2015 Moms

Membranes

39 weeks and getting my membranes stripped today.......i did nt get this done with baby no.1 so i really don't know what to expect

Re: Membranes

• I had this done yesterday at 38+4, it was uncomfortable but I figure it's nothing compared to the labour that's coming. I spotted for a few hours after as well and now I'm pretty sure my mucous plug is coming out. Hurray for baby coming soon! Good luck :)
  • aliehowardaliehoward member
    edited July 2015
    My doc will not do this for me until I reach 39wks. Ughhh..I have no progress. Cervix closed 50% effaced. I am 38.2 as of now. A few days early wouldn't have hurt anything. Ready to hold my baby boy. Plus he is huge!! But they won't take him yet. :( plz lmk if this worked ladies.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had one done today at 38 weeks. I'm a little over 2 cm dilated & 50% effaced. I'm really hoping it works, I'm miserable..
  • Any update? How do u ladies feel?
  • @aliehoward irregular contractions, cramps, and I just had my bloody show... Hoping it means labor is soon!
  • I had one on Monday. It was fine. But hasn't resulted in anything :(
  • Had mine yesterday (38+4) and I had a little spotting, some bad cramps and irregular contractions...but nothing else! My dr also told me to have sex to help the process (which I did) so I'm hoping this baby will be here soon! I'm so over being pregnant! 
  • I'm probably getting stripped today (37+6days) doctor last night couldn't do it after a trip to the hospital. Found out I'm 2-3cm dilated 75% effaced almost consistent contractions. Had to schedule my 38wk appointment early so we will see...
  • Just like @hendS731 I've got irregular contractions, I lost my mucous plug, and feel drained and exhausted. Shouldn't be long now, will update if anything changes! :)
  • Does anyone know how many cm you need to be dilated to have it done? I am 39+1 today- doctor Said I am 1 cm (finally) and soft . Cervix is still posterior though. I go back Tuesday (on my due date), hoping doctor can do it then
  • babydubabydu member
    I got mine done today at 38 weeks and I was 1cm and 60%, it really didn't hurt, a little uncomfortable but that's about it
    She said it probably won't start labor but would help move things along since I've been at 1cm since 35 weeks
  • I got mine swept today also! I am 38+1 3cm dilated and 70% effaced. I've progressed 1cm each week since 36wks.. So I guess I mean I'm in the right direction. So I decided to get them swept.. Ahh it hurt pretty bad not going to lie, didn't last to long but I remember thinking to myself I needed to ask her to stop... But I just took deep breaths and finished. I mean it's tolerable but painful. (Some ppl say it didn't hurt). The doc told me she feels like she has a 20% success rate and a 24-40 hour window it will work. If nothing happens then it did nothing ! So I'll be back to update you (hopefully telling you I had my baby girl!) ;)
    I've had inconsistent contractions, had the "bloody show" right after she was done and I've been cramping all day since (it's been 8 hours) !! So hopefully that worked for me !! I am so wanting to have this baby !! Good luck though !!! :D
  • I'm scheduled to have mine sweeped this afternoon, 39 weeks today. Dilation and effacement have no inpact on when for me, they don't want me going over (AMA), if it doesn't work scheduled induction next Friday.
  • I've had mine swept twice now, the 2nd time being 3cm dilated and 75% effaced as well. Aside from some spotting and cramping, nothing. It'll only work if your baby is ready! They want to do it a 3rd time on Monday, but I am passing on that. I have my induction scheduled for the 28th.
  • aliehowardaliehoward member
    edited July 2015
    @SewSewBlessed that's great...congrats!! So were u already dilated or effaced any before your doc swept your membranes?
  • I was 3.5/4cm and 80% when she swept my membranes.
  • Went to the hospital Wednesday with unrecognized pain and was dilated to 1cm barely 2cm had my 38wk visit yesterday and was 3cm so he swept mine. Crampy all day with very little spotting then irregular contractions all night long. Had my bloody show today. Let's hope this babe is ready to come out. Her big sister can't wait to see her.
  • Does anyone know how many cm you need to be dilated to have it done? I am 39+1 today- doctor Said I am 1 cm (finally) and soft . Cervix is still posterior though. I go back Tuesday (on my due date), hoping doctor can do it then

They like you to be at least a cm dilated so they can get a finger in there but I actually had mine done last time when I was only a "fingertip" dilated in hopes of starting labor before an induction for preeclampsia. Hurt like a bitch, wouldn't recommend it if you're not already dilated.
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member
    edited July 2015
    I had mine done at 37 weeks hurt like crazy. I was 1 1/2 cm dilated. I has contractions all day but then nothing. I have to be induced for medical reasons so the doctor is trying to get me ready in hopes I'll go in on my own before then, if that wasn't the case I don't think they would normally do it that early.