October 2015 Moms
Options

Weekly monitoring-baby 8th percentile

Hi all-
Had my 24 week growth check and baby was 1lb 5 oz. Doc said measuring about a week behind. This is about the 8th percentile. He said he's not convinced yet that the baby is growth restricted AKA small, but because of numbers has to see me weekly. Anyone else experience this? Good or bad results?

Re: Weekly monitoring-baby 8th percentile

• Options
    With my daughter I was always about a week behind. I never had to do weekly monitoring but they did an ultrasound towards the end and she was still on the smaller side. She was born @ 39 weeks about an ounce under 6 lbs but really healthy. Good luck! I'm sure baby will be fine. Some babies are just smaller. :)
  • Options
    That's how big my twin B was last week at 25 weeks, which I was told is 17ish percentile... so 8th doesn't sound right. She was diagnosed with AEDF. I'm already in the hospital for a short cervix, so they're checking her every other day. I'm sure it's more frequent because of the diagnosis, though... and yours is a week younger and bigger.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My one of my closest friend's daughter measured small too. Her OB would always say she isn't going to be the biggest baby. Elle is still petite but very healthy and smart!! I am sure it is hard not to worry, I hope you find some comfort in the extra care!
  • Options
    My friend just delivered her daughter a few weeks ago and had a similar situation. Her LO was measuring small from about 28 weeks on. She went for weekly ultrasounds and they consistently told her the same thing - baby was measuring small. She was born perfectly healthy and right around 6lb. Like @baconlady said, some babies are on the smaller side just like some are on the bigger side. I wouldn't stress too much!
  • Options
    We had an ultrasound at 24 weeks and we were at the 11 percentile. After that appointment, I was obviously terrified! I started on a higher protein diet - drinking ensure everyday and really tracking my diet.

We just went back at 27 weeks and are back up to almost 20%! The doctor was happy with everything and we no longer have to go back.

I'm not saying the ensure changed anything, the baby could just have had a growth spurt during that time. I guess you could ask your doctor and it doesn't hurt to try it!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    taralohse said:

We had an ultrasound at 24 weeks and we were at the 11 percentile. After that appointment, I was obviously terrified! I started on a higher protein diet - drinking ensure everyday and really tracking my diet.

We just went back at 27 weeks and are back up to almost 20%! The doctor was happy with everything and we no longer have to go back.

I'm not saying the ensure changed anything, the baby could just have had a growth spurt during that time. I guess you could ask your doctor and it doesn't hurt to try it!

Thanks- I actually have been drinking the ensure since my last appt. prob every other day as its nasty but will try for every day now and to eat more!!

• Options
    @bashley3 what did they say about the AEDF? Do they know what the implications are yet? Are you on bed rest?

I did the harmony test today for addl screenings (only had them prior at NT scan and we're all normal) but I think that is why they have me coming back weekly- to check blood flow and placenta. Today they said it was great and normal. They will only check the growth measurements every other week as they said it will be more accurate then when they plot.

Glad to here most other circumstances turned out normal. Just worries me not knowing!
  • Options
    cbolton19cbolton19 member
    edited July 2015
    I hope everything is ok! Worrying about it is hard. Maybe you just have a small baby. I'm glad they are monitoring and keeping track of your baby's health though. Hoping for all the best for you guys! We just had an ultrasound at 24 weeks and they estimated that baby girl was 1 lb 7 oz and measuring right on track (she measured at 23 weeks 5 days) and the tech wasn't concerned at all. The perinatologist also said she looked great. She is still small/skinny but this is the right time for her to start putting the weight on.

ETA: We weren't given a percentage at all. As a side note I find it interesting what some techs/docs will tell you and what others won't. Just an observation.
  • Options
    The ultrasound could be off too,so hopefully you see nice, steady growth from here on. It's so hard to deal with the worry but this is exactly what all of the technology is for. Keep us updated.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!!!! Appreciate it
  • Options
    I had another growth scan at 24 weeks and baby was measuring 1 lb 6 oz and the perinatologist was happy with that saying that she was up to the 40th percentile.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My niece was always on the small side. Born at 42 weeks, she was 6 lbs! My sister is short, and its likely that my niece will never be tall- she is still on the small side for her age.

And remember, ultrasound measurements aren't exact!
  • Options
    @christina4436 The AEDF definitely isn't a good thing. She bounces between absent and intermittent... so it's better than all absent. They can't say if or when it will reverse, though. I've read some women have gone weeks and weeks. If she were a singleton, they'd just take her as soon as she reversed... but they've told us to be ready to possibly make a decision between she and her brother.

I've been on bed rest for 4 weeks with a short cervix. Nothing changed after the AEDF popped up... no diet changes or restrictions to what little (bathroom trips and a 10 minute shower) I was already allowed to do. It's just a wait and see... nothing can be done.

And like @sugarplum513 said... just an ounce difference and 40th. I think your 8th is incorrect. :)
  • Options
    @bashley3 that is scary to hear. I hope you don't have to make that choice. I guess I should do more research on AEDF as I don't fully understand how it works and what the risks are. Was the placenta blood flow normal before and then just changed at 25 weeks or you don't know bc it wasn't checked prior? He said they would check the blood flow every week but today it was great. And the growth every two weeks.

@sugarplum513 that is so strange for such a big variance. He said the percentiles are based on a new criteria (the Hadlock measurements) in the past 5 years and has seen an increase of babies classified as 'small' bc of this. I wonder if all hospitals use the same scale industry wide. He made it seem like they did though.

Obviously hoping your doctor has the more accurate number ! He basically said I was a week to week and a half behind but isn't convinced the baby is actually small or 'growth restricted' based on everything they have looked into with me this far.
  • Options

@bashley3 that is scary to hear. I hope you don't have to make that choice. I guess I should do more research on AEDF as I don't fully understand how it works and what the risks are. Was the placenta blood flow normal before and then just changed at 25 weeks or you don't know bc it wasn't checked prior? He said they would check the blood flow every week but today it was great. And the growth every two weeks.

@sugarplum513 that is so strange for such a big variance. He said the percentiles are based on a new criteria (the Hadlock measurements) in the past 5 years and has seen an increase of babies classified as 'small' bc of this. I wonder if all hospitals use the same scale industry wide. He made it seem like they did though.

Obviously hoping your doctor has the more accurate number ! He basically said I was a week to week and a half behind but isn't convinced the baby is actually small or 'growth restricted' based on everything they have looked into with me this far.

Interesting. I'm going to have to research the Hadlock measurements. Purely out of curiousity. Your baby and mine only measured a couple ounces different and I was told all looked great and she measured almost right on (just a couple days behind). Maybe there are other measurements, not just weight taken into account for that percentile. Thank you for posting the criteria! I'm going to go learn me some new info.
  • Options
    @cbolton19 no problem! Glad to hear I'm similar size to others that don't seem to have concerns. I know some of the Hadlock measurements were head circumference and abdomen. There were probably 5 in total.
  • Options
    I had my 24 week growth scan at 23 weeks + 3 days. My DD2 weighed 1lb 2oz and was in the 40-50% tile. I will be getting a growth scan every other week until I deliver.
  • Options
    That's surprising they will monitor you that often in that 'percentile'. But I guess rather be safe than sorry. Still I'm sure is anxious though waiting for each next appt like I now am!
  • Options

@cbolton19 no problem! Glad to hear I'm similar size to others that don't seem to have concerns. I know some of the Hadlock measurements were head circumference and abdomen. There were probably 5 in total.

Yup. There were a few. Though they mentioned fetal weight in the description, I didn't see it as criteria on the table with the other measurements. That is just from a quick look on my phone though (way harder to research on than a computer). Interesting. Hoping all is well with your babe. On the upside you'll get to see them some more. : )