December 2015 Moms
Options

To those with home Dopplers

How often to you use your doppler? I just got mine and slightly obsessed, used it everyday for the past few days - it's awesome! 
Does anyone know if there's any risk of using it frequently? TIA!

To those who are interested in purchasing one, this is the one I got on Ebay HERE (I love it!)

Re: To those with home Dopplers

• Options
    My OB's office said fine & safe for regular use! I use mine to check on my little munchkin everyday:)
  • Options
    My OB's office said fine & safe for regular use! I use mine to check on my little munchkin everyday:)
    Oh good!!! That makes me happy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CMDDCMDD member
    Many doctors believe there is a risk as it hasn't been studied enough. My DH is a dr and says once a week is the limit for us. He's usually pretty laid back about anything pregnancy related so I've been listening to him I'm about this.
    Consider its a very loud noise suddenly all around the baby..
  • Options
    I use mine only when I'm having anxiety and think there is something wrong with the babies, which there never is. I probably use mine once or twice a week, I wanted to use it daily when I first got it but I know I would easily become obsessed with it, lol.
  • Options
    I was under the impression they weren't available for purchase without a prescription (or a medical degree). I would limit usage, as the long-term effects haven't been documented.

Babies moving away from the sound is certainly true - I had an OB visit last week, and as soon as we found the heartbeat with the doppler off she went scooting across to the other side of my uterus.
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hplunkett2883hplunkett2883 member
    edited July 2015
    I just ordered one. It hasn't arrived yet. But the one I ordered has headphones. No loud noises for baby to hear.

ETA: I plan to only use it for reassurance for DH and I between Dr visits when he is stressing over baby, not daily usage
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely limit my usage to once per week or less.
  • Options
    I just ordered one. It hasn't arrived yet. But the one I ordered has headphones. No loud noises for baby to hear.

ETA: I plan to only use it for reassurance for DH and I between Dr visits when he is stressing over baby, not daily usage
    So is the noise because of the speaker on the doppler, or the transmission? Now i'm confused. 
  • Options
    GardenMama116GardenMama116 member
    edited July 2015
    The noise is the baby hears is from the transducer placed against your abdomen.

Edited so you actually understand what I meant.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    grkgdss00 said:

So is the noise because of the speaker on the doppler, or the transmission? Now i'm confused. 

It's from the transmission. I think she misunderstood and thought it was from the speakers. If that were the case we wouldn't be able to watch TV or listen to music, which would be insane ;)
  • Options
    I used to use mine everyday, but I've figured out my little lady doesn't like it so much. Now i use it once maybe twice a week.
  • Options
    I have been using mine daily, but I have vowed to cut back to once a week.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I use mine about twice per week. I used it less in the beginning since I rarely found the heartbeat and became frustrated. I finally figured out that I was aiming too high and use it more now that I have better success. Have fun!
  • Options
    I use mine every day. My doctor said that the Doppler is just a sound amplifier. Baby will move away from touch anyways. No harm to the baby.
  • Options
    CMDDCMDD member

Lol no the noise is from how the Doppler sends sound waves into your abdomen to find the baby.
  • Options
    My doctor also said its fine so not to worry about it. I have probably used mine at most once a week but have gone a few weeks without using it cause it can actually be
    I will say though, I am 110% grateful that I have it. I have had bleeding three times this pregnancy, the last time was on Saturday and I'm 16 weeks. The first thing I did was grab my Doppler and find the heartbeat. When I called my dr and went over my symptoms she mentioned there's a chance I could be miscarrying, then I mentioned I found the heartbeat and she said that was a great sign and immediately ruled miscarriage out. (Turns out I most likely had a burst blood vessel on my cervix)
    Every pregnant woman that's had bleeding should have a doppler IMO!
  • Options
    I don't pull out my doppler more than once a week anymore. Every once in a while I can't find the HB and I worry, so I want to minimize this reaction so I limit myself, if I can't find it after 5 minutes I put it up and try again in a few days. I'm trying not to be crazy about it and work myself up over it
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    O just ordered the same one @grkgdss00 thanks for the link! I like @kristen2b idea. I know I'll use it the day I get it. And then I'll use it every Tuesday on my bump day as a treat for me and dh. 8->