October 2015 Moms
Options

Alcohol Use and Pregnancy – Getting Help

I thought it might be useful to someone now, or in the future, to share my story.  Before I found help, I scoured the boards and the internet to find someone else going through what I was going through.  Or to find help specifically for pregnant women.  I couldn’t find anything and felt very alone.

I’m a regular poster on this board, but am using a different screen name for this post.  I am a white, college educated, upper middle class woman with a fulfilling career, a loving and supportive husband, and am a devoted mother to lovely children for whom I would give my life.  I am also a pregnant woman consuming excess amounts of alcohol. 

Earlier this week my therapist and I together called CPS (Child Protective Services) and got a referral to a program designed specifically for pregnant women using drugs or alcohol.  It is voluntary and I am at no risk of losing my children, unless my baby were to be born with signs of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which given the circumstances is unlikely but still possible.  The amount I’ve consumed is irrelevant in my mind.  It’s more than a glass a week, and less than a bottle a day.  But it’s something I’ve struggled with before and since becoming pregnant.

Alcohol abuse started when I had two back-to-back miscarriages trying to conceive my second child.  After a couple months, and with support from my husband, I was able rein things in and go back to very moderate social drinking.  I didn’t drink during previous pregnancies.  But after the birth of my last child, I suffered from severe postpartum depression, an eating disorder, and alcohol abuse.  I worked with a psychiatrist and an eating disorder program to get all three under control.  Then I became pregnant with this child and somehow I just couldn’t completely cut out the alcohol.

After struggling with this on my own and only having moderate and intermittent success in completely cutting out the alcohol use, I confessed to my psychiatrist the exact amounts I was consuming.  We adjusted my anti-depression and anti-anxiety medication and she referred me to a therapist who specializes in pre and post natal depression.  The therapist and I have worked on this, and most recently made the call to CPS to find additional help.

Being honest with myself, my psychiatrist, my therapist, and making the call to CPS was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.  But I am also having much greater success in avoiding alcohol and feel like I have the support I need going into what may be another very difficult postpartum period.

The program I’m using is 80% women under the poverty line, 60% women of color, and includes women using hard drugs, most of who are struggling with challenges I am not faced with.  But like them, I couldn’t do it on my own and needed the support of professionals and other women struggling with the same issues in order to do the best thing for my unborn child, for my family, and for myself.

I may never tell friends, co-workers, or my family what I have struggled with or the risk I have put by unborn child in.  But I am telling you, in case there is even one woman out there who faces a similar struggle.  To you, I say:  You are not alone.  There IS help available.  This does not define you as a mother, a woman, or a person.  I encourage you to keep looking to find help, even if you feel things might, or could, or should turn out okay.  Getting help will make you a stronger mother and a stronger woman.

Re: Alcohol Use and Pregnancy – Getting Help

• Options
    You are very strong for recognizing there is a problem and getting help. I'm very proud of you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glad you're getting the help you need for you and baby! Good luck with your recovery.
  • Options
    Glad you have reached out and got help!
  • Options
    So brave of you to post this. I have known someone who went through this and how hard it was for her, she did not reach out and get professional help and was very lucky to have friends and family who helped
    support and not judge her. Good luck! You can do this momma
  • Options
    You are doing the right thing and I appreciate your willingness to share your story. You are not defined by your addiction, and you will be successful if you can continue on this path of recovery with the support of those around you. I wish you the very best!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is so good for you to be sharing this for other moms and for you to admit that you need help. I commend you and hope you can get through this and baby is nice and healthy. Alcoholism is something I have never struggled with but I know depression and ppd like I know the back of my hand. It can be hard to admit that we're not perfect and need help and so many of us do need the help. So glad you are able to share your story.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The fact that you've actively sought help and are working through this is wonderful and commendable. You're amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your story.
  • Options
    I'm so proud of you for getting the help you need. I grew up with an alcoholic parent and I know it isn't easy. I'm glad you are getting the help you need Getting stuck in a rut like that with miscarriages and alcohol and pulling yourself out of it is not easy. Anything you need I am here to support you. You can do this!
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. If you ever want to chat about recovery, send me a private message. I am so happy you have decided to do the right thing and get help. :)
    CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    Thank you for sharing your story.  I wish you the best with your recovery.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing this. You never know who is reading and how much this may help another struggling mother. Good for you for taking the first step to recovery. I wish you well!

imageimage
  • Options
    Wishing you much success with this! You're taking some very brave steps!
  • Options

Best wishes for you and baby!  Stay strong you've got this!

• Options
    Thank you for sharing. Recovery is a difficult process, but you are doing it for the best reason. Not only is sharing this message beneficial for others, but I'm sure it's good to get it out even under the safety of anonymity. Best of luck on your journey♡
  • Options
    Glad you seeked help and hoping your recovery goes smooth and easy. Wish you all the best and for a healthy baby. ❤️
  • Options

Thank you for all the support!  I honestly wasn't expecting that.  I appreciate your kind words of encouragement.

• Options
    Just wanted to add to the chorus of support. We can't change past actions, but we always have full control over today's. One day, one step at a time. Stay strong!
  • Options
    You should be very proud of yourself for not only taking this brave step, but for sharing your story. Best wishes in your recovery!
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Options
    Best wishes for you and your baby as you move forward. Good for you for taking the needed steps to get everything back in order again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Every step in the right direction is a big deal, and you just took some major strides. Keep up the good work! You're showing some amazing love to your family and to yourself, for being willing to look for and accept help. Be proud of yourself, you're doing the right thing and that takes a lot of courage in situations like these. Wishing you and your family all the best in the road to recovery, you got this! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story! Your strength to take steps to recovery is so commendable and I wish you all of the best in your journey! 
  • Options
    Growing up my sister struggled hard with addiction, I seen it turn her whole life upside down. I'm glad you are making steps in the right direction, getting help is only the beginning, recovery is a long process. My sister spent 15 years of her life getting clean and now she has a fiancé, a house, new car, awesome job. It takes time but every step is worth it. Proud of you (: !
  • Options
    Good for you!!!! Thanks for sharing and good luck in your recovery!
  • Options
    Good for you! You're doing the right thing for yourself and your family.
  • Options
    happy for you , maintain strong you can do this ! :)
  • Options
    Your bravery and strength are amazing. Good luck with your recovery!
  • Options
    Hope you are doing well! Asking for help takes strength, and I really admire you. Your post here will reach others, and help them find strength as well.