October 2015 Moms
Options

This is going to make me sound horrible...

So one of my good friends is going through a breakup. She was with her fiance for 2.5 years, lived together and ya know, had a whole life together. He cheated and I have been through the exact same situation, so my husband and I decided to let her move in with us for a couple months while she gets things together and we still have a spare room.

It has been 48 hours and I am already done having a roommate. I am so tired of the "well now I can start my life" comments and the comments about how "hot and wonderful" my husband and I's best friend is.

I guess it may be the age difference (4.5 years, she just turned 21 and I'm 26). And the fact that I've been happily married since 22... I don't know, I can't handle it. Luckily my husband is taking me on a birthday getaway tomorrow because I need it!

Re: This is going to make me sound horrible...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like @MariahOBrien said try talking to your friend. Possibly establish some boundaries just to make everything easier for all of you. I really struggled when I/we had roommates as well (myself in college then for about 1 1/2 years starting around 6 months after we got married because of financial reasons) but found the times I was able to be open and honest with them in a nice way things seemed to go smoother. Good luck and enjoy your birthday get away!
  • Options
    Dirty lurker here, @lanaloulittle I totally get it. I HATE having people in my space. Reading the threads on here about all the people wanting to stay with these mommas after the baby comes makes me stabby! Being annoyed doesn't make you a bad friend! The fact that you are putting those feelings aside to help her makes you an awesome friend! Especially while pregnant!
  • Options
    I'm 26 and have been married since 21 and my friend was going through this I'm sure her comments didn't bug me after 48 hours. They might have after a few weeks, but the maturity level you are referring to doesn't sound like she is the immature one unless you are leaving details out.

You are a good friend for letting her stay with you, but you have to remember this was the person she intended to spend her life with. She's not going to just get over that and not be sad, or stop saying as you say she is saying "poor pitiful me" in your time frame. You know after being married that you wouldn't just move on from your husband.

I'm glad she's saying she's excited to start her life over, not a lot of women would see it that way. I get where the first poster was coming from and trying to say, she just said it a little more straight forward.

Your hormones are going crazy so that probably doesn't help, but you did put yourself in this situation by offering your home to be lived in by someone who is supposed to be your best friend.

I did the same thing as you honestly, but I was 22 and it wasn't her comments about starting over that bugged me. It was the fact that I saw her less when she lived with us vs before she moved in and her dog was not well behaved at all. So I get where you are coming from, I do.

It sounds like you need some ground rules to take the stress off of you and be honest with her. Trust me if you aren't honest with her now it will only get worse and it's pretty sad that it's only been two days and you are already feeling this way. Just imagine it a month from now if you don't address it; it will only bug you more and get worse.
  • Options
    @lanaloulittle haha I distance myself from my friends when I'm pregnant, because they drive me CRAZY with the things they keep saying. Recently my friend financed a car and got a new place, and all I been hearing about is how she has no money, how broke she is, how she can't afford it !! I love my friends but hearing that over and over and over is too much !
  • Options
    I think we're at a stage where everything/everyone annoys us!  I would give it a month and if it's not working out just let her know.  Did you guys set a time line on how long she was going to stay?  You can always tell her after a month that you decided with the baby on the way you don't think this is the best idea and give her another month to find her own place.  You DO have a baby on the way and she should understand that and hopefully is keeping that in mind with the amount of time she chooses to stay with you.  Next time she brings up your hot friend I would say well let's get over the fiance first and maybe we'll look at trying to set you up or something!

• Options
    I agree that it's very generous of you to offer to let her live with you, and hopefully she appreciates that. Knowing that she is a guest in your home, if you need to set some boundaries that will help make her stay more pleasant for everyone I think that is very reasonable. I am an introvert as well and really value my quiet time, as much as I love DH I don't mind when he is at work so I have the house to myself some days.

I think the best way you can help her is to make sure you are both on the same page about the length of her stay and what she can/can't do while living with you, otherwise she may end up leaving early because you've made each other nuts. I think it's fair to expect her to be open to some house rules or guidelines while she's living with you.
  • Options
    I can't do roommates. And i am not the enabling type, so i get it. I had a best friend i had to cut ties with because she was always getting herself into the same mess and wanting me to help clean her up emotionally. And when i wouldn't she'd start picking apart my relationship which she honestly had very little info about because i didn't air my stuff like that.
  • Options
    As you said, you are an introvert. You need to have 'me' time. That's valid.
    Spend as much time with her as you can, but if you feel like it's draining, tell her gently, that you need a little time to be alone, because that's something you need to do. She should be understanding. Once you recharge, you should feel a lot happier hanging out with her.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would not say you are a bad friend.. And I definaltely think being pregnant could be making you more irritable than you might normally would be in this situation. Just this past week I have noticed that I have been very easily annoyed by every little thing when usually I am a laid back person (that's how I've always viewed myself anyways, lol). I'm sure my husband is wondering where the 'old me' has gone because he is the one that my mood has been directed towards lately, and for the pettiest little things!
  • Options
    I NEVER LIKED ROOMATES....That's why I never had them but in college....lol!!! I understand completely :)
  • Options
    Sometimes it baffles me when people ask or even consider to move in with a friend who has a husband or wife and baby. I would never want to be that burden or leech. You were very kind to offer that to her, but like @DeeGreer said, there's no I could do that. I had a newly single friend stay with DH and I for a month and I wanted to rip my hair out. Lifestyles change with age and experience.You are a great friend for even considering her moving in and she's lucky to have you.
  • Options
    I agree with some of the other PPs. Even offering makes you a friend. You didn't know what you were getting yourself into and neither did she. Now that she is settled, if you have not already done so, it is critically important that you talk about timelines and plans to get there. You said you need alone time... Does she not work or do you? Trust me, I know work isn't an escape, but I'm just more curious to see how feasible her moving out quickly is. Also, setting up boundaries will be important, such as meal times, is she invited or is she on her own? Does she contribute by making meals, cleaning, etc. Not only is it important for you to be there for her as a friend right now, she (as your friend) should realize she is there at an in opportune time. Yes, she didn't pick it, but she has to realize you are preparing for a child and should be making every effort to get her life started and together so as to not be a burden. Now is the perfect time to have this conversation if you haven't already. You were waiting for her to settle in and not overwhelm her at first... Right!?!? Hehe.
  • Options
    I drive my SO bananas, but we take in house guests all the time. We have a large home and I have always been of the mindset that if I can help someone and there's room, they're welcome. Over the past 2 years, we've housed at least 4 friends (none overlapped). He gets annoyed at dealing with sharing our space and I promised him after our current "stray" moves out in August, we're done.

Strangely, I am a super introvert and Husband is the extrovert, so you'd think he'd like guests and not me.

It's not easy to open your home to someone else, but setting ground rules is paramount as is maintaining your own sanity. Get away when you need to and don't be afraid to let her know when she is being a bad guest - sometimes people can get wrapped up in their own stuff and lose sight of those who are helping them.