November 2015 Moms

Anterior Placenta

tagmesillytagmesilly member
edited July 2015 in November 2015 Moms
So I found out I have an anterior placenta which is basically the placenta on the front side of my uterus in front of my little boy. I was wondering why I didn't feel any movement until 18 weeks and even now at 23 weeks it's not very strong. It makes me sad because this is my first child and I want to feel him non-stop and feel his every little movement :-) Every time I do feel him I treasure it though. I just can't help but wish I could feel him more! Hoping the placenta moves to a MORE posterior location. Any other new mom's in the same boat as me? On the plus side, I think I may have gotten the cutest ultrasound picture ever of him sucking his thumb with his little finger hooked over his nose.  I'm just going to have to look at this photo every time I feel sad about the lack of movement :-)

Re: Anterior Placenta

• Nov152Nov152 member
    I have an anterior placenta and haven't felt any movement at 20 weeks. I searched anterior placenta on here and it looks like there are a few other moms that have it too.
  • If you search through the threads. There has been a post already on this.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's not what my dr. or what to expect when you're expecting says. "The placenta can move into a more posterior position later on (as anterior placentas commonly do). But the good news here is that, despite those slight inconveniences, an anterior placenta in and of itself poses no risk to your health."https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/anterior-placenta.aspx
  • Sorry, I searched and couldn't find anything for November 2015 birth club... But I often have glitches on this site so maybe that was the problem.
    If you search through the threads. There has been a post already on this.

• rerawalt said:
    Hate to tell you but your placenta isn't going to move to a posterior location. It's attached to your uterus not mobile.
    That's not what my dr. or what to expect when you're expecting says. "The placenta can move into a more posterior position later on (as anterior placentas commonly do). But the good news here is that, despite those slight inconveniences, an anterior placenta in and of itself poses no risk to your health."https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/anterior-placenta.aspx
  • This is my 2nd and I have an anterior placenta also. With my first my placenta was in the back and I still did not feel consistent movement until about 24-25 weeks. At least this time I have a reason I don't feel LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • mmk29mmk29 member
    edited July 2015

rerawalt said:

Hate to tell you but your placenta isn't going to move to a posterior location. It's attached to your uterus not mobile.

That's not what my dr. or what to expect when you're expecting says.
    "The placenta can move into a more posterior position later on (as
    anterior
    placentas commonly do). But the good news here is that, despite those
    slight inconveniences, an anterior placenta in and of itself poses no
    risk to your health."https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/anterior-placenta.aspx

----

More posterior and actually moving to a posterior position are not the same thing. Your placenta is implanted. As your uterus grows it can shift with the growth depending on where it is implanted. So it could be laying more toward the top and not cushioning the front, or more toward the bottom (has a small chance of blocking the cervix). Or it may just stay right smack in the middle.

Edit: quote fail
  • mmk29 said:
    rerawalt said:
    That's not what my dr. or what to expect when you're expecting says. "The placenta can move into a more posterior position later on (as anterior placentas commonly do). But the good news here is that, despite those slight inconveniences, an anterior placenta in and of itself poses no risk to your health."https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/anterior-placenta.aspx
    ---- More posterior and actually moving to a posterior position are not the same thing. Your placenta is implanted. As your uterus grows it can shift with the growth depending on where it is implanted. So it could be laying more toward the top and not cushioning the front, or more toward the bottom (has a small chance of blocking the cervix). Or it may just stay right smack in the middle. Edit: quote fail
    I'm really sorry I didn't put "MORE posterior" into my post. How awful of me to forget one word. Now I remember why I stay off this board. Everyone is so mean and so critical. Heaven forbid this be a place for pregnant people to come and talk and not be judged.
  • It's labeled on the second page. 23 weeks and still can't feel anything. They aren't all labeled exactly what you are looking for. I have my placenta blocking the baby as a shield. After reading how people state that the baby wakes them up all through the night. I don't mind not feeling him as long as that nugget of mine has the heartbeat at the end of the day. You have to understand that people might come off as been rude or what ever but you can't tell someone's expression through a text as a response. As someone stated people look for answers through these threads. That's why they might correct you but not in anyway are they doing it in a rude way.
  • RaisingJulianRaisingJulian member
    edited July 2015

mmk29 said:

rerawalt said:

anterior
    risk to your health."https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/anterior-placenta.aspx
    ----

More posterior and actually moving to a posterior position are not the same thing. Your placenta is implanted. As your uterus grows it can shift with the growth depending on where it is implanted. So it could be laying more toward the top and not cushioning the front, or more toward the bottom (has a small chance of blocking the cervix). Or it may just stay right smack in the middle.

I'm really sorry I didn't put "MORE posterior" into my post. How awful of me to forget one word. Now I remember why I stay off this board. Everyone is so mean and so critical. Heaven forbid this be a place for pregnant people to come and talk and not be judged.

-----------

I don't think anyone was rude to you at all. It looked a little like u jumped on her for correcting something although she didn't know you didn't put exactly what you meant. There was no reason for it.

Edit: quote isn't working for me Lol
  • scw89scw89 member
    Same boat as you. I also have an anterior placenta and am carrying a boy. I'm 23 weeks tomorrow and have felt a few weak movements maybe a handful of times. Doctor said as he gets larger it may be possible for me to feel him around 25 weeks or more. I was also told it will stay anterior and should not be a problem unless it were to move downward and cover the cervix, causing placenta previa. Not likely though, anterior placenta is more of an inconvenience and sucks because you can't feel your baby as much as most moms can
  • Same boat. I will be 22 weeks tomorrow and I have only felt a few kicks. He has to kick really hard for me to feel it. Hope you start to feel more movement soon!
  • I am a STM but also have an anterior placenta. I am 21 weeks and feel my little guy often, but more rolls than hard kicks.
  • I have an anterior placenta this time, ive had posterior in my two previous pregnancies.

An anterior placenta can move to the sides a bit more but I'm afraid it won't move to a full posterior. That being said, it can take most of your pregnancy for this to happen sometimes, it's slow and delicate work. I'm assuming mine has moved to the side a bit more as at 23 weeks it's a full blown scene from Alien in there. But if you're a FTM, it may take you longer to feel it all anyway. And that's a good thing- means you have muscle tone in comparison to mine- which is completely diminished these days.

I don't think any one is trying to sound rude... The search feature is great because it will direct you straight to the ladies with experience and advice. I think some PPs have posted some links. There have been some great discussions on anterior placentas and the difference in movement patterns etc. also what @Ceridwen77 said, if someone searched this thread and thought a placenta could move from front to back- it could give them false hope!

But anyway, I can see you've edited it now and hopefully you've managed to find some good info on those searches. Very cute sonogram!
  • elbouelbou member

As someone who had an anterior placenta with a previous baby, I can assure you that just because it takes longer to *start* feeling movement, it doesn't mean that you won't be able to feel movement each and every day once baby is bigger and stronger. By the end of DS's pregnancy, there was no noticeable difference in the amount of movement I could feel with him (anterior placenta) and the amount of movement I could feel at the end of his sisters' pregnancies (both posterior placentas). I think he had caught up to their activity levels by 30 weeks or so. 

You will feel your baby lots! It just takes a little longer to notice it. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 21w, and I also have an anterior placenta.  I've felt tiny movements for a week or two, but only had the first strong kick last week.  I feel him moving around more depending on the position I'm in as well (leaning forward to use the microscope at work is a guaranteed method for me).  Don't worry, you will feel the baby, it might just take a bit longer than normal. 
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• rerawalt said:

anterior

Placentas are implanted in the wall of the uterus. They don't crawl themselves to the back of the uterus. As your uterus grows the position will shift slightly but it doesn't move to the other side. In 4 years of medical school and attending thousands of deliveries I have never once seen a placenta shift from anterior to posterior.

You will feel your baby move more once he or she is bigger and the kicks are stronger. It's not something to feel sad about.

• mmk29 said:

rerawalt said:

anterior
    ----

Missed a couple of these before I posted above. Sorry about that. No one was mean to you. Plus posting your are sad that you can't feel your baby move is really AW in my opinion. If you have a healthy baby what in the world is there to be sad about?
  • I too have an anterior placenta, I'm 22 weeks this week. I still feel little movements, although as long as she's healthy and happy in there I don't feel too upset I can't feel anything stronger.
  • I have an anterior placenta too, and I'm actually thankful I don't feel tons of movement. It will come, until then I'll enjoy my peaceful nights of sleep.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have an anterior placenta, 3rd baby and I have been feeling him bounce around in there for weeks.
  • I know how you feel - I have an anterior placenta too and it can be worrying not to feel little one moving all that much! I bought a home doppler which I use when I haven't felt movement for a while, which really does help set the mind at ease.