2nd Trimester

Finding out the sex at 14 weeks 2 days?

jessicalee09jessicalee09 member
edited May 2015 in 2nd Trimester
My doctor has set me up a sonogram for tomorrow to find out the sex. I will be 14 weeks 2 days. I'm just wondering if any of you found out that early and if it was reliable?

Re: Finding out the sex at 14 weeks 2 days?

• taahirataahira member
    edited May 2015
    Most ultrasound techs will tell you, sex organs are not fully developed before 16 weeks. The best time to get a semi reliable answer would be between 18-20 weeks at your AS scan. I wouldn't go out buying blue or pink based on an ultrasound done at 14 weeks.
  • As others have said i wouldn't trust 14w sonogram for the sex. Might want to ask what's the reasoning behind this sonogram I doubt it is find out the sex.
  • Loading the player...
  • There's a blood test now called a Panorama that can tell you the sex as early as 9 weeks. We waited until 12 weeks so it would be more accurate, than followed up a couple weeks later with an ultrasound. Same results from both tests.
  • I found out at 14 weeks with my last two pregnancies and am schedule to go in the end of this week ( I will be 1 day shy of 15 weeks) . When I found out w the other two pregnancies there was no question that there were boy parts vs girl parts. To each their own.
  • There's a blood test now called a Panorama that can tell you the sex as early as 9 weeks. We waited until 12 weeks so it would be more accurate, than followed up a couple weeks later with an ultrasound. Same results from both tests.
    This test is for gentic issues that may be of concern. The point of it is NOT to determine sex, it is not medically necessary for everyone and should be treated as a medical reasoning. It is can Be an expensive test, if not covered by insurance and if not medically necessary.

I had InformaSeq, which is one of an increasing number of genetic screening blood tests like the Panorama screening, and was ordered for me due to being 35+ (and covered by my insurance).  So we knew at 12 weeks (well, 14, by the time lab work was processed).  We were asked whether we wanted to know the sex chromosome status as well as the other chromosomal lay of the land, and we decided to find out.  You're not likely to get a genetic panel done via blood workup unless there is a medical indication/recommendation to do so, and/or you are of advanced maternal age.  If you elect to do so and it's not deemed medically necessary, you do indeed run a high likelihood of getting billed for it. 

I wouldn't personally trust a 14-week anatomical determination...it really is too premature to differentiate at 14 weeks, though anybody can guess and have a 50/50 shot of being right. There was nothing visible for us until our 20-week scan, but we already knew, as a side effect of having a genetic blood workup done earlier. 

• I also have a scan at 14w3d because I am high risk I have a scan at all appointments. My doctor said she will look but does not want to confirm the sex until my next appointment at 18 weeks
  • Wow ! The doctors here won't tell us the sex of the baby even if they are 100% sure, they won't even tell us through the genetic blood test. The doctor says "the sex of the child is not important" so if we choose to find out we go and pay for it, after 18 weeks !!
  • edited July 2015
    I found out with all my kids at 13 weeks and all were right. A good ultrasound tech will know. I'm going on baby 5..
  • I found out with all my kids at 13 weeks and all were right. A good ultrasound tech will know. I'm going on baby 5..

Lucky guesses. Boys and girls look the same at that gestational age.
    Ok Sunrise you have stated your opinion multiple times, no need to keep trying to tell everyone else they are wrong. I personally don't care and am team green but if it worked for some people earlier then who cares. And if it's wrong a few weeks later then that's the risk the run!
  • sam301sam301 member
    I found out the second of my twins(identical) at 13 weeks.... Crazy huh! They said it was an
    85% chance but because I'm having a high risk pregnancy I've been seeing the best scan techs in the country so I don't think they would be wrong!
  • sam301sam301 member
    Don't let anyone tell you they can't tell the sex that early cause they can. It's their profession. They do it on a daily basis. That's like saying a firefighter can't put out a fire. You will find out the sex of your baby if the baby is positioned correctly
  • sam301 said:

Don't let anyone tell you they can't tell the sex that early cause they can. It's their profession. They do it on a daily basis. That's like saying a firefighter can't put out a fire. You will find out the sex of your baby if the baby is positioned correctly

If the sex organs aren't developed yet, then the trained medical professional cannot tell. That's like saying a firefighter can put out a fire that hasn't even started; to use your own analogy.
    But if they are the best firefighters in the country, they can!
    I'd like to love your post twice, but can't.
  • Don't let anyone tell you they can't tell the sex that early cause they can. It's their profession. They do it on a daily basis. That's like saying a firefighter can't put out a fire. You will find out the sex of your baby if the baby is positioned correctly
    If the sex organs aren't developed yet, then the trained medical professional cannot tell. That's like saying a firefighter can put out a fire that hasn't even started; to use your own analogy.
    But if they are the best firefighters in the country, they can!
    *** Peed pants.***
    YCSWU 

• Who cares ?!?!?! Some people just always need the last word and to be right I guess!