October 2015 Moms

Do people really buy $800 strollers?

2»

Re: Do people really buy $800 strollers?

• We are buying an Orbit Baby G3 travel system and it's $1000. We aren't registering for it though, we are buying it ourselves. We like the features and we can afford it. I say, it's your kid and your money, do what you want!

Just because someone doesn't want to spend $1000 on a stroller doesn't mean they can't afford it.

I never said, you couldn't. I said we can and that's how we choose to spend our money. Again I say, it's your kid and your money, do what you want.
  • I've had my heart set on a BOB since my friend had her first baby 4 years ago and she raved about it. The fact that it latsts until the kiddo is ~75 lbs and she's had it through two kids now and it still looks new sealed the deal for me. We would have happily paid for it ourselves, but my MIL decided to gift us the the BOB Revolution SE, and then my mother gifted us a Chicco Key Fit 30 and we're using the adapter for the two. All said, that combo was something like $500, but knowing it will last us well through two kids, makes it worthwhile to me! 

• Loading the player...
  • People spend that or more on a handbag, why not on a stroller? We bought a stroller that was originally $500 for $350 though, so not even half of $800. I don't see the problem though. If I were a millionaire, I'd totally purchase a Silver Cross pram :).
    I don't have anything new to contribute to this discussion (we found a Graco jogging stroller with car seat on Zulily for $300) since I think that if people want a more expensive stroller and can afford it they should get one, as it's a constant use item for some. I am more blown away that anyone would spend $800 on a handbag, I've always thought $100 was a lot to spend on a purse, shows what I know!

As @jefinley1 said we all choose where to spend our money, just because you buy one expensive item doesn't mean you are financially irresponsible.
  • I just bought a used uppababy vista on Craigslist for $280. Everything unzips and is easy to wash. Looks brand new!
  • I also think it depends on your lifestyle.  We got a Baby Jogger Summit ($600+) for DD because we knew we were cancelling my gym membership and that we'd use it for going to long walks, runs etc.  When we did the math on me taking her to the gym and paying for the childcare there ($20 a visit), it's more economical for me to have the stroller.
  • Hell no. I have a used Phil and Teds jogger that I used for my last and will be using again. It was maybe $150 used which I thought was a lot but it's so nice. My mom offered to get me my smaller shopping stroller which is the summer infant 3D Flip and it looks freaking awesome and only $129. I would maybe consider a more expensive one if I were definitely planning on having more kids though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • rue:Drue:D member
    @BrooklynBroussard I completely agree with you. I'm not going to judge anyone for how much they do or don't spend on their stroller or any other baby items - unless it somehow jeopardizes the baby's well-being - and then it's for THAT reason and not the money itself.

I will just say that I don't understand what makes one stroller $300 and another one $1100! It boggles the mind, for me at least!
  • lnord7 said:

I've had my heart set on a BOB since my friend had her first baby 4 years ago and she raved about it. The fact that it latsts until the kiddo is ~75 lbs and she's had it through two kids now and it still looks new sealed the deal for me. We would have happily paid for it ourselves, but my MIL decided to gift us the the BOB Revolution SE, and then my mother gifted us a Chicco Key Fit 30 and we're using the adapter for the two. All said, that combo was something like $500, but knowing it will last us well through two kids, makes it worthwhile to me! 

We went with the Bob Flex (for the adjustable grip to fit my much taller husband) after I had the same discussion with a friend about her revolution!! It was the only stroller they need for five years, she registered for a graco travel system and gave it up after a few months. The bob worked better for them and their active life style! We are also going with the Chicco Key fit. (The black flex is/was on sale the beginning of this week at target, can price match to BRU if it is on your registry, saves about 95 big ones and brings it under 400)
  • Yes lol. I can't fathom why either. I'm getting a graco travel system for $300 and I'm very happy!
    Which did you choose? I hate how much of a researcher I am because it's impeding the registry process. LOL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    :) visit my blog to get easy recipes & mom stuff: http://somestufforwhatever.wordpress.com  :)
  • casserole27casserole27 member
    edited July 2015
    I don't think most people buy ones that are that expensive but people definitely do.  I am more surprised by how much people spend on things like diaper bags, but then again I live in the suburbs and it's not as big of a deal to have "designer" things.  Eh, to each their own. :)

We chose a Graco Modes Click Connect Travel System (probably the same danixbanani24 I'm guessing).  I actually picked it out before knew how much it cost and am happy with the $300 price especially since it includes your car seat. 
    Oct15 October Siggy Challenge: Maternity Costumes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I do and did. The thing to keep in mind is I sell all my stuff once I have no use for it. So if you buy a $700-1000 stroller, chances you could get $500 +/- back depending on model, etc. So your cost is more reasonable.
  • We received our BOB Revolution as a gift when we had DD, and we have registered for a Double BOB for when this one arrives. I only registered for the completion discount and we are not sharing our registry with anyone. The Double BOB is quite expensive, but I have also found that the BOB strollers, and probably many of the higher end strollers, retain their value for quite awhile. I've seen 8-year-old strollers going for just $100 under initial purchase price. To me, that's money in the bank later. Worst case scenario, when we are finished having children, our strollers will at least be an awesome hand-me-down for my younger sister and husband (who continue to ask for our big ticket items when we are done!).

• I'm due oct 15, we start getting snow in November right until March/April ! We won't be purchasing a stroller till atleast feb ! The stroller were getting is around $250 it's one of the more expensive ones we have here. We have wal Mart to baby shop for bigger items, no where's else around here !
  • Embs33Embs33 member
    My friend bought a cheaper britax, for around 500 bucks ...ended up hating it bc she couldn't take long strides. She then went and bought a city select for 600+ ...loves it. Makes all the difference. I bought the vista ....can't wait to use it! Firm believer you get what you pay for.
  • No,  we went to the store and looked at a few played with them. We ended up getting chicco because it was easy to fold and unfold one handed and it was also light weight for us to load and unload in our cars. 

It all depends on what you like and what your budget fits they will out grow it fast too.

• CanadaMom17CanadaMom17 member
    edited July 2015
    rue:D said:
    @BrooklynBroussard I completely agree with you. I'm not going to judge anyone for how much they do or don't spend on their stroller or any other baby items - unless it somehow jeopardizes the baby's well-being - and then it's for THAT reason and not the money itself. I will just say that I don't understand what makes one stroller $300 and another one $1100! It boggles the mind, for me at least!
    I have two donated strollers, both different qualities, so I'll comment here - one is a Graco travel system, and it's less cumbersome, and it's what I take if I need to go shopping, etc.  The little plastic wheels are fine for that sort of use.  The second is a Quinny - about 9 years old, but that thing is a beast, and I know the owners spent about $750 for it at the time.  BUT....it has inflatable tires, spring shocks, etc.  I live on a rural road, with potholes, etc., and I'm telling you, it's a cadillac stroller on the road (but a huge clunker that I won't consider taking shopping).  The Graco would fall apart, but the Quinny will go for miles and miles and miles.  If I was buying a stroller, I'd likely spend the money on something like a BOB - suitable for both uses.  Definitely worth saving for especially if you are planning on having more than one.