January 2016 Moms
Options

Jogging stroller vs traditional

Ftm here and would appreciate any and all thoughts or experiences on using a jogging stroller vs a traditional for normal everyday use (shopping, traveling, walking).

Re: Jogging stroller vs traditional

• Options
    Jogging strollers for the most part are HEAVY. Not the thing I would want to be lugging in and out of my car. I'm going city mini GT for an all purpose (not jogging) stroller. 
  • Options
    RunnerMegRunnerMeg member
    edited July 2015
    I have a Bob Ironman stroller (for running) and a regular stroller. My jogging stroller isn't very heavy, approximately 22lbs (comparable to a full size stroller), but it is big, even folded up. And the front wheel doesn't swivel at all. It's ideal for running, but I would not want to use it for everyday activities and it would be horrendous for travel.
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a bob revolution (with a front wheel that swivels and locks) and it's not heavy at all. It takes up a lot of trunk space I guess, but it's so easy to "drive" I don't even use the other strollers I have.
  • Options
    I also have the Bob (jogging stroller) but it's not a stroller I would use for everyday use. It takes up a lot of space in the car and I think it's a pain in the ass folding it up, getting it in and out of the car. I do love it so much though, no other stroller compares in my mind. I use it for running, on vacations, big days like Disneyland, the zoo and such. That's all I need a stroller for now anyways.

When my son was younger, I kept a light slim stroller in my car for everyday use... Like the mall. It worked with his carseat, then adjusted to have him sit in it like a typical stroller (Chicco Liteway Plus). This stroller folds up so easy and it's so light. I loved it too, but comfort, smoothness(?) all that stuff ... It's all about the Bob.
  • Options
    I use my jeep jogging stroller everyday. We take long walks and go to the zoo often. I have a sedan and yea, it's tight, but it works just fine. We've borrowed other strollers to try from our SILs before and man, I can't stand normal strollers. A jogger stroller is worth the added cost to me. Try going to some second hand stores, even if not to purchase to try out and get a small feel for. We have some great second hand stores up here with a wide variety of strollers for sale.
  • Options
    mvhydemvhyde member
    I use my jeep jogging stroller everyday. We take long walks and go to the zoo often. I have a sedan and yea, it's tight, but it works just fine. We've borrowed other strollers to try from our SILs before and man, I can't stand normal strollers. A jogger stroller is worth the added cost to me. Try going to some second hand stores, even if not to purchase to try out and get a small feel for. We have some great second hand stores up here with a wide variety of strollers for sale.
    Same here. I have a Jeep stroller. We take it on hikes and jogging and just around to the park. It's not much heavier than a travel system (IMO, but you can go to a baby store and see for yourself), but probably heavier than a snap and go style system. It is a bit bulky because the wheels are big but it fits in the trunk of our sedan.  We bought an umbrella stroller when LO was able to sit up by himself that we used to travel with.
  • Options
    SovvySovvy member
    Also remember that just because it's a jogging style doesn't mean it's a true running stroller. Confusing.

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • Options
    jezygaljezygal member
    edited July 2015
    I use a traditional stroller, it's small and light weight. It's made by jeep it was only $35 I think. I had jogger stroller and hated it, I couldn't get around in stores with it and it would hardly fit in our car. We really didn't use a stroller for the first 4 months I just used a carrier, now my daughter is almost 2 and rarely uses the stroller anymore. For me the jogging stroller was a waste of money, I much prefer my cheap stroller, the only down side to mine is the handle bars are a little to low when you're jogging/walking and they don't adjust.
  • Options
    I think it depends on if you plan on going running with your baby frequently. My husband and I are both big runners and we use and love our Bob constantly - but we don't really use it for errands and things like that. I baby-wore when my little guy was small and now we have an umbrella stroller for errands which fits in the car easily. I just didn't want to get another fancy stroller bc the Bob was so expensive! But totally worth it to be able to run with my DS.

If you don't plan on running a lot, I'd get a different and lighter stroller for everyday use :)

• Options
    I have both types. On the rare occasion that I do use a stroller I prefer the jogger because it maneuvers much smoother. I like it just fine for jogging, but I'm not a runner. I've heard many wonderful things about the BOB joggers.
  • Options
    I bought the graco jogging stroller with the intent on using it often. It's one purchase that I really regret. It's way to heavy for daily use and with it being so big it's not easy to fit in the trunk. I ended up buying a regular stroller as well. If you are planning to use the jogging stroller for anything other than jogging I would go with a regular stroller.
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone! The comments and advice are very helpful!
  • Options
    6240662406 member
    I love our BOB revolution. We used the stroller that came with our travel system for the first few months but then bit the bullet and bought the BOB. Yes it's big and takes up a lot of space but it so much more durable and worth the extra money.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Options
    I have a Bob Revolution and adore it, but we kept an umbrella stroller in the trunk. Easier and more space efficient.
    1.0&2.0 7-29-11

• Options
    I use a traditional stroller. Not planning on running with baby. Planning on buying Graco again because it was so lightweight and fit in my small car well.
  • Options
    Neither my husband nor I run and yet we adore our Bob stroller. We live in a city and walk a LOT. We had the conversion bar when our son was little so we could put his car seat right on top. Now that DS is 2 we still use it multiple times a week. He prefers to walk by himself but that isn't always practical.
  • Options
    I would really only consider a jogging stroller for two reasons:

1. You will actually plan to go jogging with it.
    2. You need something more durable that will withstand gravel/trails/multi-terrain (ie not concrete) because most joggers have a bike-like tire vs. a plastic tire

Other than that I'd say skip the extra weight and large folding size of a jogger and get a traditional travel system.
  • Options
    If I'm doing anything other than the mall/grocery (tile floors), I use the jogging stroller. I bought mine 2nd hand so I didn't have to spend as much. It seems to be much more comfortable for my LO, and it's easier to push over grass, broken concrete, bumps, etc. I also have a small umbrella stroller that I keep in the car for running in the bank/donut place/things that are really quick stops. (Yes, I have 3 strollers and now a double stroller. Yes, that's more than "normal," but we use ours often.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker