September 2015 Moms
Options

TMI Ladies.. SORRY but i need help?!

So last week I developed a hemorrhoid an it was small so I figured it would go away if I used preparation H. But it didn't. Two days later it has gotten bigger. I can't walk, sit, stand or sleep. Ive tried Tucks and sitz bath also. I went to the ER last night and they told me what I'm using would not help it go away. I need to have it surgically removed. My question is do you think they would do it now or after baby is born?? I can't keep calling off of work for this.

Re: TMI Ladies.. SORRY but i need help?!

• Options
    Ask a doctor
  • Options
    I've read that they won't typically do surgery until after baby is born since you will likely develop more along the way. However, I'm not sure what they do in extreme cases like yours, so I would definitely check with your OB.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They do not like to preform surgery in the 3rd trimester unless it's an emergency! Feel better!
  • Options
    There are some old wives tales about raw cabbage and raw potatoes on the hemorrhoids to help with swelling/pain. I personally have never used them, but several of my pregnant coworkers have with good results. It didn't make them go away, but helped with the discomfort!
  • Options
    They usually subside after birth. But in the meantime, load up on stool softeners. The less stress u put on it. The better u should feel. Hope this helps
    Married 9/5/14
    Me:24/Hubbs:29
  • Options
    My hemorrhoids were so much worse after birth because of the strain from pushing for an hour. Like others have said, they don't like to do surgery in the 3rd trimester unless it's an emergency situation.
  • Options

They usually subside after birth. But in the meantime, load up on stool softeners. The less stress u put on it. The better u should feel. Hope this helps

Make sure to check with your doctor before using stool softeners!
  • Options
    This has been the worst part of pregnancy by far! I would talk to your obgyn to get a second opinion. My obgyn said they only remove it if it is thrombosed (blood clot in it) and he will do those surgeries during pregnancy because they are not invasive. He said it's rare that that needs to be done though and most go away after birth (but get worse during it--- which I am not looking forward to!!)

It sounds like you have done many things to help yourself so get a second opinion. I try never to sit while I'm at home, lay on your left side, use an ice pack, cut out all refined grains/other backing up agents from your diet, use a stool softener (my doctor said no stool softners are absorbed into your blood so this is totally safe) and ask you doctor to give you prescription strength cream. He told me this will work much better than over the counter.

I feel for you and you are not alone in this experience more than 50% of women get this during pregnancy.... Now to figure out how we survive it for the next two months!!
  • Options
    kkerner87kkerner87 member
    edited July 2015
    Oh, that is just  awful. I have the same exact problem. The joys of pregnancy. Mine was black and blue and so painful, I could do nothing but cry. I actually had to stand an entire day at my desk at work because it hurt too much to sit. I had my doc call in a RX cream and just used that religiously. I used tucks pads, warm (not hot) baths and stool softeners. Unfortunately, it's one those things you have to grin and bare. Mine has been there for a week and half is feeling MUCH better. I spoke to the doc yesterday and she said that surgery on it is usually more messy and painful than the actual hemi itself. She even said they will probably get worse over the rest of my pregnancy and I wanted to do an epidural free delivery and she said she does not recommend going drug free because delivery will get even more painful with all the ripping of the hemi's. =( It sucks and is very painful, but it's just one of those things that come with the territory. I hope you feel better soon. It does get better!
  • Options
    I had same issue at 27 weeks - now im 31 weeks. I had a thrombosed (blood clot) so my ob lanced it for me. It was painful but i literally thought i was losing my mind & needed relief! The day after lancing i felt better & within 3 days i actually started to feel normal again. Unfortunatly the best thing for hemis is time which i know is awful to hear in the midst of such pain. The sitz bath at least 4 times a day (i would add a lil baking soda) & americaine hemmroid cream were my lifeline for two weeks. I was like you & missed 3 days of work as i was in so much pain. This is my 2nd boy & i would take labor anyday over a thrombosed hemi! They truly are the most painful things ever. Please call your ob & discuss with them. I know it can be embarsssing but they are there to help. Sending you wishes that u feel better soon!
  • Options
    Do anything you can to avoid surgery! It's the most painful procedure I've ever had in my life. I'd do anything the dr recommends and just wait it out because the surgery is 10xs worse than the hemmroid itself. It's a good two-three weeks recovery of a muscle that you have to continue to use (so you can have a bowel movement) more pain killers you take the more constipated you get. It was awful. I spent my whole recovery in a warm bath crying. I'd never do that surgery again. Sounds simple but it's not!
  • Options
    There are these suppositories called Anusol that are safe in pregnancy. I highly recommend them. They shrink hemoroids.
  • Options
    I was in a lot of discomfort as well but I got some herbs (in pill form) from my midwife and it has made an amazing difference!!
  • Options
    The herbal pills are called Varicalm
  • Options
    I've had hemorrhoids for three years now. I got them with my first pregnancy and was one of those "lucky few" who's hemorrhoids never went away after birth. It. Was. Rough. But my OB said the surgery is crazy painful and he doesn't recommend it unless there are clots. So here I am, still rhoidded up and buying fresh care wipes (get rid of the tp) by the bulk at Costco. And Metamucil. Giant tubs of Metamucil.
  • Options
    EarcarEarcar member
    They didn't offer you a steroid cream? That stuff is generally very helpful. I'm sorry, it's so terrible and uncomfortable.