August 2015 Moms

Um, can I ask about your underwear?

So, true confessions. I haven't bought or worn full-butt underwear in at least 10 years. I've been a thong girl since my ass let me know it was going to be too big to be comfortably accommodated by regular panties. (I'm not a big person-- size 4 generally-- just...amply bottomed.) So I know thongs aren't gonna cut it (heh!) post-partum. Do you have a favorite brand of undies that you just love? Especially the curvy ladies? I'd hate to go buy the cheapest thing Target offers only to find out they're terribly uncomfortable just when my nethers are most vulnerable!!

Re: Um, can I ask about your underwear?

• Hmm I just bought hanes at target in a larger size than I am for post partum. I didn't want to spend a lot of money in case they got ruined. So long as you get something cotton you can't go wrong. Just make sure you don't get the full blown granny panties on accident because they go up so high they are truly worth just burning.
  • Following this...im in the exact same boat! Fat bottom girls...LOL
  • Loading the player...
  • I just got some hipsters at Victoria's Secret because they are 5/$27 right now... they're so comfy I might go back for more lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just take a bunch of the mesh panties from the hospital- they're going to charge you for them anyway. A nurse will hook you up with a box if you ask.
  • I would definitely just get whatever's cheap. Comfort isn't going to be an issue because you're going to have a giant diaper pad on, so no matter what underwear you guy, you'll probably be uncomfortable. And you'll probably leak so don't worry about what they look like either. Once your bleeding stops you should be able to go back to thongs.
  • I wear the bikini cut from hanes I just buy a few sizes up. You will need a bigger pair just because of how huge the dang pad is for after you have the baby. I mean they are gigantic. When DH and I went on our hospital tour they showed us the pad. Holy crap it's like a Bandaid for Godzilla! But they will give you mesh undies for when you have to wear it.
  • Victoria's Secret is always my preferred brand, but I did to get the Hanes pack of underwear from Target for postpartum uses.
  • I just grab some high cuts Hanes from Walmart a couple sizes up. I do high cut because of Csec recovery, regular bikini cut will likely do you just fine. Then I throw them out, chances are they get nasty post partum, and I'm back in my thongs asap, as I am "blessed" in the bottom dept...and the hips for that matter. The couple sizes up is just to accommodate awkward doughy post partum belly size.
  • Post-partum last time I got high-waisted full-bottom panties from Target (a 3-pack). Get them big and loose! Thongs and bikinis were out. I can't wear those boy short things or hipsters, they never fit right on my curves.

Go cheap and big... You won't wear them more than a few weeks. Comfort is all that matters.
  • Big butt here- Gap Body maternity underwear is a DELIGHT. Super comfy, light, stretchy, and full coverage.
  • I bought the motherhood maternity underwear and I love it! I'll probably buy some cheap ones for post partum so I don't ruin these for next time. But there is a lot of room in the booty.
  • Gap Body for me!

@kelseyrayay hahhaha a bandaid for Godzilla

• I am with @Kath1083. I went to the Destination Maternity outlet store and picked up the under belly Motherhood Maternity underwear (specifically the Hipster Panties, and the Bikini Panties). Five pairs for $25. I started out at a medium, and have graduated to an XL more recently. I've always had a big butt and wider hips. I find these underwear do not ride up, give me full coverage, and are wide enough for my hip spreading. 

Postpartum may be a different story for me. I may go with the hospital mesh undies for a while, but I am going to save this thread to try some other brands for after the baby is born if what I currently have does not work for me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just take a bunch of the mesh panties from the hospital- they're going to charge you for them anyway. A nurse will hook you up with a box if you ask.

Exactly
  • Currently still wearing my Victoria's Secret hipsters which my booty is swallowing up since my ass and thighs are where all the weight gain is (and baby obv) but I'll be getting a pack of Hanes or something at Walmart along with stocking up on the hospital's mesh panties :D
  • I totally agree with the Hanes! Stretchy, cotton, black and comfy.
  • I'm glad somebody posted about this, because I need to add postpartum underwear and pads to my shopping list lol
  • gulimzgulimz member
    I'm regularly a hanky panky kind of girl (I find them to be the most comfortable) but I've been wearing motherhood maternity underwear since I started wearing maternity jeans/skirts/dresses. For postpartum, I bought "jockey" brand soft cotton "french cut". They are absolutely horrendous and unsexy. Kind of like the small crib mattresses for pads we have to wear after birth =(
  • I just went to target and got a couple cheap packs, 1 size up, in different cuts to see what I liked best. I, unfortunately, have NO butt when not prego, so I won't even go into the styles I liked. If you're willing to donate, I'd love to have an ass someday...
  • I just grabbed some large sized, bikini bottom panties from Walmart. I myself am going cheap since I don't see the point in spending good money on panties I'm not going to wear for that long, and will probably get stained postpartum anyway. I also plan on taking a bunch of the mesh ones from the hospital after delivery!
  • pabeybabypabeybaby member
    edited July 2015

Men's briefs. There, I said it. Don't judge me. There is plenty of room in the front AND back to accommodate even the most maxiest of pads, as they are made specifically to fit all the fella's you-know-whats into them. Try it ONCE at least, bet you won't regret it.

Interesting idea! I might try the boxer briefs cuz I like the shorts type feeling. I always wear cotton or athletic shorts under a skirt or dress cuz of my larger butt and thighs anyway.
  • I bought a pack of these the other day: https://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-premium-seamless-performance-body-short-3-pack-colors-may-vary/-/A-16880440#prodSlot=_1_8

Ladies, let me tell you what. The heavens opened up when I wore these. So stretchy, SOFT, thin yet provides enough coverage. I can hike these bad boys up over my preggo belly or wear them under the bump. I haven't loved a pair of underwear so much since my first trip to VS as a teen. 
    :D
  • HulerHuler member
    edited July 2015
    https://www.target.com/p/women-s-modal-hipster-3-pack-gilligan-o-malley/-/A-15207517#prodSlot=_1_30
    I just ordered these -- I had them when I was pp with my first son but that was back in '07... I am hoping they are the same bc let me tell you, they were heavenly. I am strictly a thong girl too, but these are awesome for the first several weeks after... Soft & roomy but I still felt somewhat feminine. You can get different colors.

Of course, these were AFTER I finished my mesh underwear stash! Those cant be beat!
  • I have a followup question sort of on the same theme for the STMs who are saying what underwear was most accommodating & comfortable with the giant pads...

In those first few weeks when you were still bleeding & had the giant pads & giant underwear did you leave the house or stay home? I doubt I'll be able to fit into the pre-pregnancy jeans whose structure is better at masking underwear lines etc., but there must be something that looks ok to wear out. I'm always super uncomfortable leaving the house in maxi skirts w/ underwear lines (I only ever wear them with thongs) and I can't imagine going out with the equivalent of a diaper under there crinkling around etc. I don't want to be stuck at home either though, so I guess I'm wondering how noticeable it was to others what you've got going on down there?
  • I always grab a pack of cheap hipsters from Walmart for after each baby. Once pp bleeding is done I go out and but myself some nice new pretty panties as a treat.

My aunt got me a victorias secret gift card for my birthday and wrote on the card that it specifically for nice new underwear post baby!!
  • I wear VS briefs (whichever ones have the lace on the top) at night and post partum after I'm done with the mesh ones. I go back to a thong ASAP, which is right when the bleeding stops.

• JNOVA2015JNOVA2015 member
    edited July 2015
    I have a bigger butt, and I find boy shorts most comfortable! Any brand as long as they're stretchy!!
  • I got a donk! :D I wear boy shorts or cheeky underwear. Try either of those, Victorias secret has a MARVELOUS selection!!
  • I have a followup question sort of on the same theme for the STMs who are saying what underwear was most accommodating & comfortable with the giant pads...

In those first few weeks when you were still bleeding & had the giant pads & giant underwear did you leave the house or stay home? I doubt I'll be able to fit into the pre-pregnancy jeans whose structure is better at masking underwear lines etc., but there must be something that looks ok to wear out. I'm always super uncomfortable leaving the house in maxi skirts w/ underwear lines (I only ever wear them with thongs) and I can't imagine going out with the equivalent of a diaper under there crinkling around etc. I don't want to be stuck at home either though, so I guess I'm wondering how noticeable it was to others what you've got going on down there?

Well the bleeding is only *really* bad for like two weeks, and then it gets not quite as heavy. At that point you can use much thinner pads. So I would recommend getting some super sized and also regular pads. I also wore maternity clothes for a few months after baby was born because it takes awhile for that squishy stomach to get under control.
  • Miz_Liz said:
    Hello sexy hospital mesh underwear....oh how I cannot wait to have you in my life again. Now if only my body would look this hot in you....
    That pad is the best ;)  

• Miz_Liz said:
    Hello sexy hospital mesh underwear....oh how I cannot wait to have you in my life again. Now if only my body would look this hot in you....
    I mean, seriously.  LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!!!!! 

• Miz_Liz said:

I know!! I THOUGHT my hospital was perfect until I saw that picture and then I realized they have been holding out on me, I never got a pad like that with DS...
  • Miz_Liz said:

Miz_Liz said:

I know!! I THOUGHT my hospital was perfect until I saw that picture and then I realized they have been holding out on me, I never got a pad like that with DS...

I had 3 hospital provided sizes before I moved on to store bought. Three special pad sizes!!

Seriosily, we are amazing. And if it hasn't been said today, men could never do this ;)

• Thj417Thj417 member
    I prefer the bikini brief. As for brand I go with Hanes OR what Macy's has that are on the sexy cute side. No tightie whities for this momma!!
  • atthemomentatthemoment member
    edited July 2015
    I always went commando before pregnancy so this whole underwear fiasco has been a nightmare for me...until i went to kohls and found the most comfortable maidenform panties ever! Im not kidding- they are stretchy and elastic free and seamless and can be worn over or under belly and could work for csection scars too. No riding up and still plenty of stretch for the diaper pads! (Not to mention they arent bad looking either!)

https://m.kohls.com/kohlsopenapi/productmobile.html?productID=1729599
    DS 8/13/15 
    Blessed  <3o:)
  • I seriously.....wonder why we don't all just wear adult diapers after birth?  I have no idea how I'm gonna handle pads!!! I've worn tampons since puberty!
    BabyFruit Ticker