June 2015 Moms
Options

Newborn hearing test

Kbchavez23Kbchavez23 member
edited July 2015 in June 2015 Moms
I scanned the threads and didn't see anything, please point me there though if there is one!

My LO did not pass her hearing test at the hospital when she was born. They scheduled us for one 2 weeks ago and I didn't have anyone to drive me, so they rescheduled me today and I just didn't have the nerve to go by myself (the hospital they do it at is 30 mins away & not in the best part of town). They informed me that this would be our last chance and I feel horrible that I didn't make it. Any one else not do the test? My oldest daughter is 7, and I don't remember them doing this with her...

Re: Newborn hearing test

• Options

Oh, lady! I imagine this is very scary for you. My LO originally failed in the hospital but when they retested on the spot, they said his ears were so dirty, which caused the first failure (!).

Does your LO startle to noise? Do you think she does have hearing issues?

Who can you confide in, so that you can get this addressed? Don't beat yourself up, but probably best for LO if you do get this checked out. And for your own peace of mind.

Will be thinking of you both. Keep us posted. Xo

Yes she startles to noise and will move her head if I talk to her and she's looking the other way. She goes to the pediatrician at the end of the month, so I'm hoping they can help with getting her retested.

I feel like a bad mom, I should've taken her. I just couldn't get there
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh, lady! I imagine this is very scary for you. My LO originally failed in the hospital but when they retested on the spot, they said his ears were so dirty, which caused the first failure (!).

Does your LO startle to noise? Do you think she does have hearing issues?

Who can you confide in, so that you can get this addressed? Don't beat yourself up, but probably best for LO if you do get this checked out. And for your own peace of mind.

Will be thinking of you both. Keep us posted. Xo

Yes she startles to noise and will move her head if I talk to her and she's looking the other way. She goes to the pediatrician at the end of the month, so I'm hoping they can help with getting her retested.

I feel like a bad mom, I should've taken her. I just couldn't get there
    Well those are all good signs! You're not a bad mom. Let that guilt go. You had a scare and now you have a plan of action to get LO the examination needed. We all have our moments!! Keep us posted on what the pedi says.
  • Options
    I work at a pediatric clinic and we do newborn hearing screens. Its not uncommon for a newborn till fail at the hospital. The machine, at least the one I'm familiar with, is very touchy to the smallest noise. Hopefully your clinic can do it at your apointment and you dont have to go anywhere else. And I'm sure baby will pass. Good luck!
  • Options
    You're more than welcome to PM me if you want. I am an audiologist.
    They should have an OAE machine at the pediatrician's office to do the testing. And they should be able to report the finding to the state if that's what your state requires. Wish I could have you hop down to see me and I'd do it for you!!
  • Options
    Both my LOs failed their hearing tests and passed a second one. My first I had to take him a few weeks later to a place and my newborn they did a 2nd test before we left the hospital.

It's common for them to have some fluid in their ears that can cause them to fail the initial test.
    <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My LO failed on her left ear the first time they tested her, but she passed on her right ear. They told me they were going to retest her the next day and if she didn't pass, they were going to schedule for a more advanced test. The technician retested her the next day, and she passed.

My LO was moving a lot the day of the first test, and the technician said that could have been a reason why she didn't pass the first time. Im just so glad she passed. #:-S
  • Options
    mrs1374amrs1374a member
    edited July 2015
    My newborn passed in the hospital. But my 3 year old fails every doctor appointment, I don't know why because she definitely can hear. I don't think the test is super accurate.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your comments! I'm not really worried about her not being able to hear, I just felt bad for not being able to get her to her appointments.