Toronto Babies

Midwife or Ob/Gyn?

Hi Ladies,

I'm a mom of a 2 1/2 year old and recently (as in, today!!) found out that I'm PG with #2. I'm from just outside TO and I'm really trying to decide whether or not I want to go back to my OB or to a midwife. I loved my OB...she's great! But she doesn't deliver. I'm also thinking that there might be less pressure to receive interventions with a midwife. I was induced with DD and I'd really like to avoid that as much as possible this time around.

I'm wondering...for those of you who've had both experiences...would you be willing to share your observations? Which path would you recommend? What did you like/dislike about both?

Thanks in advance, ladies!

Re: Midwife or Ob/Gyn?

• Had an ob. Next time around think I'll go with a midwife.
    felt as though the ob wasn't as respectful of my choices as I'd have liked. He kept trying to convince me to have an epidural before and during delivery. Ended up having a natural delivery.
    Depends on the individual doctor or midwife!
  • Considering this post is over a month old, I'm assuming you've figured it out, but I'll throw in my two cents in case anyone else is checking this out. 

I called the midwife clinic that delivers out of my hospital when I was 5 weeks along and was whisked right away to waiting list. I'm now well over halfway through my pregnancy, and have yet to hear about that waiting list. Of course, June could be a very busy time both for midwives taking vacation, and people having babies, but if you are interested in using a midwife, don't sit on the decision too long!

Of course, I may have been able to find a midwife if I'd been willing to consider another hospital or a home birth, but the location of delivery is more important to me than who does it. 

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Loading the player...
  • jshumrjshumr member
    U really have to call the midwife office as soon as you pee on the stick to avoid a waiting list, So id call and get app even if you arnt 100%sure you want to go with them yet!
  • jibelljibell member
    I am PG with #3 and am using an OB same as with the first two...

I considered a midwife with the second but after complications with first first decided to stick with the OB and hospital delivery route... Plus I waited too long to decide and could not find a midwife in my area...

Monkey #3
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have got a spot in Midwives collective of Toronto. Appt is on Monday. Will see.

• I am doing midwife too.
    Me-22 DH-32
    Married- 07.06.13
    BFP- 06.06.14 EDD- 02.15.15
     Confirmed missed MC- 07.22.14 
                                           Miso x 4, Finally D&C- 08.29.14                                         

• I went with my Family MD and she delivered my son.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've had a midwife for my first two and definitely using them for this one as well. The personal care, knowing that is the person who will deliver your baby for sure, gives me piece of mind. And they are all about informed decisions and help guide you through those. The best part is the after care though - they come to your house for 6 weeks after so you and baby can settle in and not worry about making it to appointments!!
  • I've had three friends' suggestions to go with midwives. Already filled out an application, as soon as I got positive test, but still waiting. Online it said 2-4 weeks wait - wow. So meanwhile, I'll see my doctor tomorrow and ask him what he would suggest. If I would need OBgyn, i still have to find a new one...waiting game sucks. :(
  • bo17bo17 member
    I wanted midwife for my first pregnancy (ended up miscarrying) and never heard back at all after filling out the form online. I have since had a 2nd miscarriage. I also found out in Barrie that the Barrie midwives have to transfer care if epidural etc is used. I am not sure I want to do natural but I figured with my history and the chance I may want an epidural that I will go with an ob since that is where I may end up anyway.
  • I would tell anyone and everyone to choose midwife (unless you have a high risk pregnancy). I delivered a 9lb 10oz baby boy without intervention. My midwife said that if an ob delivered my son I would have had an episiotomy and they would have used forceps or the vacuum. Most people were shocked I didn't have a c-section. The care they give isn't comparable to anything else. I hear stories of people with OBs where they felt rushed out of the office and didn't get their OB to deliver. With midwife, they are there for you and will never rush you out of the office and u are guaranteed to have one of your 2 midwives deliver your child. I got my primary midwife and there was another midwife specifically for my son. It was an amazing experience!
  • I had my first clinical midwife apt on Wednesday. We have a team of three ladies. I met one at the info session and a different on this time. Really loved the experience. I'm so happy I chose to go midwife, they are super supportive and help you so much. I'm looking forward to this process.
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016