October 2015 Moms

What to buy to sleep in???

For the first couple months we won't have a nursery. Which means no room for crib. I also want her to sleep in my room for the first few months anyways. I'm not too sure about a co-sleeper... I was thinking a basic bassinet but then I seen something about a rock n play?? FTM and I'm lost... help!

Re: What to buy to sleep in???

• loveleighmamiloveleighmami member
    edited July 2015
    I read that the baby is not supposed to sleep in a rock n play, although I think that's the intended purpose? I would go with a bassinet/ cradle or a travel yard that has a bassinet on top.
  • I have heard awesome things about rock an plays from moms... But there are studies and warnings against them that I'm sure you would find with a quick google search. We are Going with a pack and play with bassinet. Baby will be in our room as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • I read that the baby is not supposed to sleep in a rock n play, although I think that's the intended purpose? I would go with a bassinet/ cradle or a travel yard that has a bassinet on top.

They aren't supposed to sleep in it overnight, similar to a swing or bouncing chair. Also, it can cause some breathing issues because the chin is on the chest. But it's very helpful for babies with acid reflux.

We are using a cradle in our room, until we transition to a crib.

We used a rock n play with DD, and she would never ever sleep in a crib or pack n play because the rock n play made her feel snuggled and held. I think it contributed to her sleeping issues.

So we won't even purchase one this go around.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going with the arms reach co sleeper. FTM so I don't have any experience with it but I have read a lot if good reviews.
  • DD slept in a Rock 'n' Play for her first weeks and it was perfect. We swaddled, too, which if done improperly can also be a problem. The Rock 'n' Play is not inherently dangerous for the baby to sleep in, but it is a matter of what your baby can do (roll over) and how they're developing that should be considered when choosing to have your baby sleep in it. We will have our next LO sleep in the RNP, too, without hesitation. 

• I used the arms reach co sleeper with my first and loved it. I did not connect it to my bed because we didn't have the straps. My cousin gave it to me after she and her sister in law used it for six babies. Anyway we basically used it as a mini crib. He stayed in our room until he was almost six months and could roll over. He was also getting too tall. He had about a half of an inch of space. Overall I don't know what I would have done without it, especially nursing him through the night. I highly recommend it!!
  • We had dd1 sleep in a pack n' play without the bassinet feature which worked really well for us. It has the feature where the bottom lining/pad thing (I guess is the best way to describe it) can be placed higher with some bars and material. I liked that it gave dd1 room as she grew but still made her easy to reach before she started sitting/standing. We plan on using the same with dd2.
  • We are doing the pack 'n play with cuddle cove (which is essentially a bassinet). I'm not sure if it will work, but we'll see!
  • We're doing the rock n play. My niece slept in hers and had no problem switching to her crib when they moved her. If it doesn't work for us we have the pnp but we're not planning on getting one with a bassinet.
  • I'm getting the arms reach co-sleeper! My sister and several friends used rock n play and loved it!
  • rue:Drue:D member
    We're using a twin pack and play with two bassinets in our room until the babies are sleeping longer stretches at night - their room is a VERY long walk down the hallway from ours and I don't want to do it a million times every night!
  • Pack and play was ideal for us w my daughter . I've heard great things about the rock n play as well. So those would be my suggestions .
  • We are using a rock 'n play as well in the beginning, my brother slept in one for the first few months (2 yrs ago now), and he had no problems from it.
  • We loved the rock and play for DD and will use it again for this little girl. Once they start turning over, they can't sleep in there anymore. The RNP is worth every single penny!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • VioletandRoseVioletandRose member
    edited July 2015
    I posted a thread a while ago about this subject and an overwhelming amount of moms said their baby was going to sleep in a rock n play. Sounded great and I was set on it. Later on I read some articles about how harmful it can be for a baby to sleep overnight in one on a regular basis and decided against it. We finally settled on the Chicco Lullago bassinet/travel crib. We'd go with a pack n play, but don't have enough space in our bedroom.
  • I've read several negative reviews on the RNP and its tendency to create a flat spot on the back of the baby's head. However, I think the older models had a hard plastic piece there, whereas the new ones have better padding. And, if we follow the "back is best" initiative then I feel like baby is going to get a spot no matter where they sleep...most go away/round out as the skull hardens. Tummy time and other positions during the day will help, in my opinion.

That said, we'll have the RNP and the Pack N Play bassinet as options before moving to crib down the hall.
  • I plan to use a Graco travel Pack N Play that simply has the bassinet inside it, not the changer and napper. I read the thread that @VioletandRose posted weeks ago about Rock N Play. I ultimately decided against it too even though it was highly recommended by a friend, whose son had no problem with it. I was a bit concerned by the reports of it leading to not only a flat head in some babies but moreover a condition where the muscles in one side of the neck become abnormally tight. This happens because the baby cannot move their head side to side the same way they can on a flat mattress.

Mostly I made my decision though on the fact that the SIDS prevention guidelines instruct that infants sleep on a flat, firm surface with only a sheet on top of it. No blankets or plush items. The Rock N Play simply, objectively does not fit SIDS prevention guidelines. (I decided against using the napper in a fancier Pack N Play for these same reasons.) It is a hammock-like construction. Not flat. It is firm in a way, but only through fabric tension created by the weight of the baby. The material is both not on a flat plane and is more plush than a sheet, posing a suffocation risk, again according to SIDS prevention guidelines. Young infants without head control should not sleep for prolonged periods of time in a reclined or sitting position because they can apparently asphyxiate (unless a doctor instructs otherwise).

I fully accept and believe that the overwhelming majority of babies sleep safely in the Rock N Play, even overnight. There are so many factors that go into safety. However, since I do know the SIDS prevention precautions, I have a hard time choosing to put my child to sleep every night in something that does not meet the criteria.
  • Mostly I made my decision though on the fact that the SIDS prevention guidelines instruct that infants sleep on a flat, firm surface with only a sheet on top of it. No blankets or plush items. The Rock N Play simply, objectively does not fit SIDS prevention guidelines. (I decided against using the napper in a fancier Pack N Play for these same reasons.) It is a hammock-like construction. Not flat. It is firm in a way, but only through fabric tension created by the weight of the baby. The material is both not on a flat plane and is more plush than a sheet, posing a suffocation risk, again according to SIDS prevention guidelines. Young infants without head control should not sleep for prolonged periods of time in a reclined or sitting position because they can apparently asphyxiate (unless a doctor instructs otherwise).

I fully accept and believe that the overwhelming majority of babies sleep safely in the Rock N Play, even overnight. There are so many factors that go into safety. However, since I do know the SIDS prevention precautions, I have a hard time choosing to put my child to sleep every night in something that does not meet the criteria.
    Well said :)
    After I posted that thread about the RnP, I also started reading up on SIDS and sleeping recommendations. I realize that the odds are slim and there's only so much we can control, but it made me paranoid. I also read about toxins emitting from crib mattresses and bedding leading to SIDS, and I changed all of my crib bedding to organic and toxin-free. I never wanted to be one of "those" moms, but if something as simple as what I choose for my baby to sleep in can mean a difference of life and death, I am willing to err on the side of caution.
  • I posted a thread a while ago about this subject and an overwhelming amount of moms said their baby was going to sleep in a rock n play. Sounded great and I was set on it. Later on I read some articles about how harmful it can be for a baby to sleep overnight in one on a regular basis and decided against it. We finally settled on the Chicco Lullago bassinet/travel crib. We'd go with a pack n play, but don't have enough space in our bedroom.

I looked up the chicco Lullago bassinet and so far it's my favorite. Very simple. And it travels which will be really nice!! Thanks!
  • We have used our Arm's Reach Cosleeper for our first 2 children and intend to use it for this LO and prayerfully one more.
  • Haha, we are on a similar train of thought, @VioletandRose! I am not paranoid about SIDS. I just think I should do everything within my power to create the safest sleeping space I can. My baby would most likely be fine in a RNP or with all non-organic materials. I just like the peace of mind knowing I am being as careful as I know how to be.

I'm curious, what mattress did you choose? I have been having a hard time choosing between a mattress that is certified low-emissions (Greenguard Gold certification), one that is made exclusively or mostly with organic interior materials and then has a low emissions waterproof barrier, or a completely organic mattress like the ones made by Naturepedic (hefty price tag there). I don't want to get a mattress, even an organic one, without a waterproof barrier of some kind, because then to protect it from baby leaks my only options seem to be mattress covers with non-organic waterproof barriers like vinyl. What's the point of an organic mattress if it is covered by a non-organic cover that can release chemicals closer to baby? At that rate might as well go back to a conventional mattress!
  • VioletandRoseVioletandRose member
    edited July 2015
    @Sballerina we got the Safety 1st Precious Angel Baby Mattress – is Greenguard Gold certified. It comes with a removable waterproof cover made of rayon and bamboo, but we also got the Serendipity crib mattress cover. It has a "toxin shield" that is supposed to block all off-gassing, is chemical-free and waterproof. Not machine washable, but you can wipe it down. Both are available on Amazon. So glad I found the mattress cover; I think I read about it here on the bump!

ETA: the mattress protector can be noisy, but I read that if you put a 100% cotton towel or muslin blanket, etc, under the fitted sheet it will stop any crinkling.
  • We purchased a RNP - but only for times when you would use a bouncy chair or something similar. We have a co-sleeper for naps and night time. I also read right on the RNP box that it is not meant for sleeping.
  • We are using a Pack n Play with the newborn top thing.  We did that with DD#1 and I really liked having her close by.  Once she outgrew the newborn part, we still used the PNP with the mattress raised up and then moved her to her crib in her room around 4 months.