High-Risk Pregnancy

Makena Question

Visiting on recommendation from October Month Club. 

Not sure if this qualifies as a high risk pregnancy question, but any answers at all would be incredibly helpful!

My doctor put me on Makena about 4 weeks ago. My first pregnancy I went into labor at 32 weeks after having hyperemesis gravidarum, spraining my hip, and developing pre-eclampsia. They were going to start inducing and had discussed it with me. The day before the induction, I spontaneously went into labor. 

I delivered my second pregnancy 2 days before my due date.

My question is this: Does anyone know what side effects can occur if you go off the Makena early? 

I've been getting more and more depressed with each shot. My last one was yesterday, and I hit a really bad place last night. I'm increasingly concerned about the reaction, and want to go off the shots, but I don't want to have anything negative happen to the baby. 

The only reason I went on them in the first place is because my doctor pressured me pretty hard about it. After my second pregnancy, I don't think it's likely I'll go into preterm labor again, and I don't have any physical reason to go early. 

Any firsthand knowledge would be awesome. I'm calling my doctor on Monday, but she's been unavailable since yesterday, and the office doesn't know when she'll be back.

Re: Makena Question

• I am 24.5 wks pregnant and have been taking the Makena shot since 16 wks.. I delivered my 1st child (13 years ago) a month early and delivered my 2nd child (4 yrs ago) 6 weeks early.. There was no reason to why I delivered early for either pregnancy.  The Dr.'s I've talked to advised me to stay on the shot because they were not sure as to what would happen if I stopped taking the shots early..  To be honest, I am scared it might trigger something if I stop now..  Sorry, I know this wasn't very helpful..
  • katanasaikatanasai member
    edited June 2015
    @tonilee80 that's precisely the reason I'm concerned! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's worried about it. I still haven't managed to get my doctor on the phone. :(  do you have the depression/mood swings?
  • Loading the player...
  • justyhjustyh member
    I would definitely talk to your doctor about it if u feel the depression is really affecting you and is uncontrollable. The nurse warned me about that being a side affect. I have only gotten three shots but have had no side affects
  • I'm trying to talk to her. :( I'm not going to stop taking the shots until I have talked to her! I'm too concerned about the baby's health for a reckless response. 
  • I haven't had any side effects to the shot so I guess I am pretty fortunate... But I would definitely consult with your doctor about your mood swings and depression...
  • I am taking the shots now because of my history of preterm deliveries. My last pregnancy I had to stop taking the shots early (32weeks per my OB) because of some side effects, not depression and within a week went into labor and delivered. I don't know if I went into labor because I stopped taking the shots or if the shots were keeping me from going into labor all along and once the medication was out of my system I went into labor. Hope that makes sense...lol
  • It causes depression? I was just prescribed Makena and should be starting them in the next week or two. What are some of the side effects you are experiencing on these injections?
  • @helskos there's no guarantee you'll have any side effects at all. I have a itchy, burny sensation at the injection site for about 24 hours after, soreness in the general area for about the same amount of time, and depression for at least the first few days after. My doctor told me the depression is unusual, though, so don't expect it!
  • katanasai said:

@helskos there's no guarantee you'll have any side effects at all. I have a itchy, burny sensation at the injection site for about 24 hours after, soreness in the general area for about the same amount of time, and depression for at least the first few days after. My doctor told me the depression is unusual, though, so don't expect it!

Thank you. I think I may opt out of the injections. There are so many risks that I feel the doctor is ignoring yhat i might be at higher risk for. The fact that you delivered your second child two days before your due date gives me some hope that there's a chance this LO will stick as close to 40 weeks as possible. My first was born at 34 weeks.

I hope that your depression subsides or that you can safely get off the injections. Please let us know how it goes when you speak to your doctor.
  • @helskos I talked to my doctor, who told me there aren't risks to quitting the injections. She's very insistent about me staying on the injections, however, and put me on an antidepressant. I have agreed to give it one month. If the depression hasn't lessened, then I will be going off the injections whether she agrees with the decision or not. I just don't like the untested nature of the makena, or the lack of available information. It scares me!

As far as the length of pregnancy, I believe the only reason I delivered early on the first was malnourishment, as I couldn't eat or drink without throwing up for the entire pregnancy. This one hasn't got any of that at all, so I'm guessing it won't be a problem.
  • @katanasai just wanted to check in to see how you are doing. Are you still taking the injections and if so have your symptoms subsided some?
  • Still on the injections. The Zoloft is actually helping quite a bit! Thanks for asking. :)