December 2015 Moms

Reactions to the Baby Name?

PaperfinchPaperfinch member
edited July 2015 in December 2015 Moms
After going through lists of names with my husband, and having a hard time finding one that "clicked" with both of us, we finally decided on an uncommon gender-neutral name, Zephyr Wren. Since a lot of our family is fairly conservative with names, I had hoped to keep it a secret until our little one was born. When we announced the gender last week, of course, his family asked if we'd picked any names. My husband couldn't contain his excitement and announced it to his whole family. The next day, my MIL blurted, "Well, aren't you concerned about her being teased? I can see kids calling her "Zephyr, Zephyr, what a heifer" or something. You should just call her by her middle name, instead." 

I simply responded by saying that kids will find any number of things to tease another kid about, that is often completely out of anyone's control. The best thing we can do as parents is try to raise them to be self-confident, since bullies tend to avoid the confident ones. 

Then I told her we may consider re-naming her Bob. Or Voltore. Or Trombone. {snicker}

At the end of the day, my husband and I are the ones who will have to call her name all the time. It better be one we like. Why name a kid some common, homogeneous name out of fear of what "might" be?  

Re: Reactions to the Baby Name?

• Are you naming her Zephy or Zephyr? I had never heard of Zephy so I googled it. The first thing to pop up was urban dictionary saying it means horny.

Names can be such a taboo conversation. Your family will come around. Congrats on your baby girl.
  • That is a very unique name. I honestly really like it, it's very quirky :) As long as you and your hubby agree on it, don't pay any mind to what others say about the name you choose.

And I love what you said about raising your child to be self-confident, you're going to make a great momma :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Oops. Typo. :)
    Zephyr Wren. 
  • {facepalm} I'd never name her "Zephy." LOL

• Oops. Typo. :)
    Zephyr Wren. 

{facepalm} I'd never name her "Zephy." LOL

Oh thats good. 

But I'd still recommend Zephyrine over Zephyr. 

Zephyr was the Greek god of the west wind, so you can't really claim it's unisex. It is straight up mascuilne. 
  • Not that you're asking for the name opinion, but I like it. :)

It's definitely different, but not too out there different. If you and your husband like it, go for it. Just be prepared for more reactions like your MIL's if you plan on telling more people.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't have the most conventional name and I've grown up to be a successful adult. "Proper" names are just based by a standard of names we have heard or before. I like Zephyr Wren. Do what you think is best  (:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love it!!
  • I like your name choice! I think it is fresh and original. I am sorry your family is giving you strife, but stick by your guns!

My MiL and SisiL have already started calling the baby by one of our male shortlist names. It's so annoying! We don't even know if it's a boy or girl yet. I still love the name but everytime they say it I feel disgusted by it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got the weirdest reactions to my son's middle name Tiberius. My grandmother got so hung up on it she missed that it was the middle name and kept asking how we'd shorten it for a nickname. "We'll call him by his first name..."

This time around it's "those are different names" and my mom genuinely promising everyone they grow on you. She's particularly picky on names so it's a big deal that she loves them. It helps with her we have reasons though (and middle name for girl partly honors her). People put up less argument if there's a story, even if it's just that you liked the meaning. The first name we picked for a girl has a very strong meaning and we liked that. Hubby and I have also both gone through having the common names and it's important for us to choose uncommon ones.

@momotheflyinglemur my dad decided for himself this baby is a girl and named her Sarah (not even something we'd consider) even after being told our name choices and liking them. Someone will always do what they want regardless of your wishes.
  • Ugh, I hate the argument about kids making fun of other kids for their names. This pretty much never happened when I was in school. I feel like adults just use this as a justification for not liking names.
  • rain0831bowwrain0831boww member
    edited July 2015
    I say do what pleases you and dh. I do suggest looking into the name before naming him/her but I feel there has been a trend in different/original names. I personally like more common names but that's what makes the world go round. Everyone is different and has different tastes.
    Due 11.16.17
    Baby Girl 12.9.15
    MC 2.1.15 @ 5 W - Chemical
    MC 4.7.14 @ 21 W - Turners Syndrome

• Ugh, I hate the argument about kids making fun of other kids for their names. This pretty much never happened when I was in school. I feel like adults just use this as a justification for not liking names.
    For real, and how many school age children know the word heifer?! Unless they live on a farm or are in FFA? Seriously? I didn't know that word even existed until I was much older. hahahah
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you like the name, then I say go for it. I think even if extended family doesn't like the name now, they will eventually get used to it.
  • I love it! Some people don't really have the imagination to come up with a lovely unique name for their child so just go with plain and boring, who cares if wren sounds similar to someone who killed themselves? I'm sure bostonbaby shares her 1st name of someone in prison, and I'm sure that's not gonna make her want to change it! And who cares what it looks like on a resume? If ur child is smart enough for the job they will get it! You can't discriminate against someone because of their name, it's like saying you won't hire someone coz their a woman or fat or to tall or white or coz their hairs brown,it's stupid, if U like the name you should go for it and don't give a toss what others think x
  • stephydanstephydan member
    edited July 2015
    **Removed for TOU Violation**
  • MrsBwIVFMrsBwIVF member
    edited July 2015
    Awww man, I missed a good one today!!!!
    @BostonBaby1, are you a bit curious now about whether or not you have a jail doppelganger with your name?

Eta: you know they have super valid and constructive points when their post gets removed (HEAVILY coated in sarcasm).
  • I miss everything when I am at work.
  • MrsBwIVF said:

Awww man, I missed a good one today!!!!
    @BostonBaby1, are you a bit curious now about whether or not you have a jail doppelganger with your name?

Eta: you know they have super valid and constructive points when their post gets removed (HEAVILY coated in sarcasm).

Yes and no. I am curious as to what was said, but since I'm literally elbow deep in vomit, my curiosity is partially sated by this situation at hand (pun intended.)

* It should be noted, I am absolutely do not share my name with any convicted criminal.

And, I absolutely love the way that your sarcasm font comes across on my phone! It's hot pink and sassy and I love it!
  • Wren is super popular these days (top 1000 and climbing), so I'd say that's a non-issue for the criminal comment. Is OP's last name Scott? If not, I don't really understand the connection. You'd have to have a super unique first name to not have any criminals with that same first name. If her last name is Scott, then I guess I sort of get the pause.

As for Zephyr, I know a little girl with this name and her mom is super crunchy, hippie, etc. and it's really fine for them. The mom's name was super normal and she changed it to something unique as well that she thought fit her better. While it's not a name I'd go for, I wouldn't side-eye it either, nor would it negatively reflect on hiring for me. It's a normal word with a normal spelling, and it's more the unique spellings that bother me.
  • Sidenote - Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck's daughter Serafina is a variant on the name Zephyr.
  • Man!!! I missed the good stuff being at work today getting stuff ready!!!
  • Wren is super popular these days (top 1000 and climbing), so I'd say that's a non-issue for the criminal comment. Is OP's last name Scott? If not, I don't really understand the connection. You'd have to have a super unique first name to not have any criminals with that same first name. If her last name is Scott, then I guess I sort of get the pause.

As for Zephyr, I know a little girl with this name and her mom is super crunchy, hippie, etc. and it's really fine for them. The mom's name was super normal and she changed it to something unique as well that she thought fit her better. While it's not a name I'd go for, I wouldn't side-eye it either, nor would it negatively reflect on hiring for me. It's a normal word with a normal spelling, and it's more the unique spellings that bother me.
    Nobody has said Wren had any criminal connotation. If you read what I wrote it was that "to me, Wren is not bad but that it reminds me of L'Wren Scott who committed suicide by hanging last year," (and that story was highly publicized.)

Zephyr however, does have a criminal element connected to it. Zephyr was the code name for the Soviet spy Mikhail Mukasei who was a pre and Cold War era super agent for Russia. If the OP is a Russian nationalist then the name makes perfect sense. Personally I would choose Mikhail myself it that were the case, but to each their own. Similar to how I would not name a child Zigzag (as in the famous double Agent Zigzag aka Eddie Chapman,) but I would consider Edward.

But hey, Bob Marley named his son Ziggy so I guess there is a celebrity for every name.
  • I feel like this escalated much much farther than it ever should have... :-O