January 2016 Moms
Options

Full bladder for ultrasound?

I have my 12-week ultrasound tomorrow morning. I'm supposed to drink 32oz of water prior to my appointment. I understand that a full bladder will help them to see the baby better, but how in the world can I hold it for that long?? I have the non-invasive genetic testing ultra tomorrow, and dr. said the ultra will take approx 40 min. I don't know how I will keep from peeing myself when I have been going all the time! Any advice? What did you all do?

Re: Full bladder for ultrasound?

• Options
    Weird I never had to have a full bladder for an ultrasound for my first pregnancy. In fact they usually asked if I needed to pee before they started.

Good luck!! I hope they let you pee!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am not drinking any water until right before I go into the ultrasound. During my last pregnancy, I did what they recommended and I had to pee just before the ultrasound because I couldn't hold it any longer. Then, I quickly gulped some water and it seem to work out just fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For my 8-week ultrasound I didn't have to drink any water and they found baby and heartbeat no problem! Any ideas why this one is different?
  • Options
    They had me drink 32 ounces when I went in for mine. I only got about 24 down though but had to pee before I got started so I had a super full bladder by the time they were done.
  • Options
    I don't think they need you to have a full bladder, but just be really hydrated? I don't know, maybe having a full bladder helps push the uterus to the surface. I always thought they asked you to do that so there was plenty of fluid around the baby, but now I'm second guessing myself.
  • Options
    I had a full bladder for my 13 week scan yesterday. They took once quick look and sent me to pee because the bladder was squishing the baby and they couldn't see anything. So I drank all my water, held it for the 30 minute drive there and 20 minutes in the waiting room and then had to empty it all out before the scan!
  • Options
    I drunk 1 litre of water yesterday before my 12 week scan and the sonographer wasn't too impressed because my bladder was squashing the baby... Oops!!

The letter from the hospital though told me to drink atleast 2 glasses of water 1 hour before the scan!

You can't do right, for doing wrong sometimes.
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    I do recommend trying to drink the water. For my first scan, she took images before and after I went pee and the images before were WAY better.

I was told to drink 3 cups of water 1 hour prior. Instead I drank 24 ounces starting at 45 mins to and finishing by 30 minutes to. This was perfect for both ultrasounds (at 8 weeks and 11 weeks)!
  • Options
    I have been asked to drink water before an abdominal scan to push my uterus up so they can see better. I thought that was common practice until I came on here and saw most other people don't have to do it. They've done it at both hospitals I, and family members have been seen at.
  • Options
    kgcnyckgcnyc member
    I actually just asked the ultrasound tech yesterday during my NT scan why I needed a full bladder (as I was nearly peeing myself while she pushed and prodded). She said that the water acts as a window. That the baby's sac isn't very large yet and when your bladder is full they are able to see through to the baby easier. She then moved the wand to the left and right side of my abdomen to show how dark the image was because of no water in that area. She also said this would be the only ultrasound where I would need a full bladder as the baby's sac should be big enough the next time. I am 12 weeks 3 days and it was the NT scan. Oh and I drank a bottle of water on my way to appointment and barely made it through! I recommend quickly drinking an entire bottle as soon as you check in.
  • Options
    I went for my ultrasound today and they actually sent me to empty my bladder half way through
  • Options
    You don't need to over drink. I think the myth of full bladder have people guzzling litres of water, 2 largish size glasses of water will be fine.
  • Options
    I've read that on my ultrasound paperwork EVERY time.  I've never had a full bladder and it's been just fine.  My paperwork says "nothing that would make you feel uncomfortable"
  • Options
    I have an ultrasound tomorrow too! I was told to drink 30-ounces of water an hour before. I'll do my best but I won't be able to chug it right away. I still get a little queasy.
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    I got told my bladder was not full enough. Ob was not happy! I drank 4 glasses of water an hour prior
  • Options
    I managed to drink the water and survived! Ultrasound tech said she would be gentle and not press too hard, and the second she was done she let me pee! Getting to see the baby moving all around is so cool that it almost made me forget how bad I had to go.
  • Options
    Fluid in the bladder helps the waves from the ultrasound travel to your uterus better giving your doc a clearer image.
  • Options
    I had my ultrasound yesterday, I'm 12w2d, so I was told to drink 4 full glasses (1L), I have the hardest time holding my urine, at the same time it makes me so nauseated after drinking all that water, so I ended up throwing up a lot of it on my way there, that was horrible!! When I've had other ultrasounds I've asked to pee a little because I can't hold it, and that was ok! I did get to see my little one, tears of joy :):)
  • Options
    Any time I've had an ultrasound I've had to have a full bladder.
    I've never been told to drink a certain amount, but they don't let you go to the bathroom until after.
  • Options
    Dr's get peed and pooped on all the time during delivery. So if you pee a little it will only be mildly embarrassing and you'll have a fun story for the grandkids! ;)
  • Options
    The main purpose of my 12 week ultrasound was to measure the space between the neck and spine. ( I think that is what she said) Also known as the NT scan. They pair up the measurements from the ultrasound scan and your blood work to see the chances of having a baby with down sydrome. I had to have a full bladder as well. Luckily, my baby was stubborn and didn't want to turn over so I was allowed to empty my bladder so I could jump around the room and wake up the baby. Yes, my SO and mother were laughing hysterically at my "bunny hops". I just chugged water on the way to the appointment and the ultrasound tech showed me my full bladder, it looked kinda weird!
  • Options
    I had to do the same thing. They did have me go a little bit before they started as I was ready to burst. The ultrasound was pretty quick maybe 10 minutes at the most. If needed, just ask if you can release a little to relieve some of the pressure. Oh- and mine was just done on my tummy, not internally. I did not know that so I was worried just like you! Good luck!
  • Options
    I've always had to have a full bladder for TA ultrasounds. The tech told me that the bladder when it's full can tilt the uterus to a better angle and helps get bowels out of the way for a better image. I've always been told to go to the bathroom immediately before a TV ultrasound. You don't need a full bladder for that one. I've found that drinking a couple glasses about 45 minutes before works for me, but everyone's "capacity" can be different. I'm a teacher so I'm used to holding it for a bit. Didn't bother me much. :)
  • Options
    ashs88ashs88 member
    I had my NT ultrasound yesterday. The doctor's office didn't mention to me to drink a certain amount beforehand, but the ultrasound tech said something about usually having women drink water before the 12 week scan because it helps push baby up so it is easier to see. Since the doctor hadn't said anything I just drank as I normally do through the day and  I went to the bathroom right before I left work, which was about 45 minutes before my ultrasound. We were able to see baby just fine. She also let me pee as soon as she was done with the ultrasound.
  • Options
    I have my genetic screening tomorrow and they told me to drink 8 oz of water a half hour before my appointment. 32oz seems like a lot, I was glad they only said 8, I can maybe hold it for the appointment. I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and still peeing all the time!
  • Options
    At my last ultrasound they said the same thing. I was miserable and seriously about to pee myself (especially because the twins wouldn't cooperate and move for her to measure) so after about 15 minutes she said I could go empty my bladder. Thank god! And we still saw the little ones ok. :) good luck!
  • Options
    mom32bmom32b member
    I was told to drink 3 glasses of water 1 hour before. I had to wait quite a while and i was so uncomfortable I couldn't even sit on the chair in the waiting room. It was awful. I kept looking at the bathroom and wanted to go so badly but I feared that once I was finally called in, the tech wouldn't be able to see etc. once I actually did get called in, the tech started and said "whoa, you're really full!" I told her it was extremely uncomfortable and asked if I could pee some out. She gave me a cup and said to fill it twice and I should be ok. I felt a little better but would definitely have loved to empty completely lol! All was ok though, had a perfect u/s although you could still see my huge bladder on the screen -_- I'll know for next time, NOT to drink that much!!!
  • Options
    My first ultrasound at 6 weeks I was told to drink 30oz of water an hour prior to my appointment.  I did that and it was pure torture while she pressed around my abdomen and I was literally whimpering because it was so uncomfortable and I thought I was gonna pee all over! She ended up not being able much anyway and had to go transvaginal. 

I had my second ultrasound three weeks ago at 10w5d and was not asked to drink the water that time.  We saw baby clear as could be despite my empty bladder! 
  • Options
    Ok on this subject... When I was pregnant with my second they told me to have a full bladder. Being that I had already had a child, my bladder leaked often after her birth. As you can probably guess they started pushing on my belly and I my bladder was about to burst. And that's exactly what happened. I lost control and once it started there was no stopping.
  • Options
    I had a full bladder for my NT scan yesterday, they tried for an hour and couldn't get the measurements they needed. As a last resort they let me go to the bathroom and were able to get the images! Go full and empty if needed :)
  • Options
    I had my 12 weeks scan and they said to go about usual routine and try to drink two pints before apt.. Said full bladder but not uncomfortably!
    Images were soo clear as a result! The pressing down with Doppler was tough but she kept saying tell me if you really need to go! I held it and our photos are fab!!
  • Options
    Someone may have answered this already, but the tech told me the water is not actually to take the baby's measurements, its to measure your insides. I did this at 10 weeks. She took my measurements, let me go to the restroom, then lay back down so she could continue looking at the baby and taking measurements.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had mine and they asked if I needed to go to the bathroom before we started because it lasts 45mins-1hour
  • Options

I have my genetic screening tomorrow and they told me to drink 8 oz of water a half hour before my appointment. 32oz seems like a lot, I was glad they only said 8, I can maybe hold it for the appointment. I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and still peeing all the time!

Update: I had my ultrasound yesterday and the 8oz made plenty of a window to get some great shots and all the measurements they needed. I was not uncomfortable and would suggest the approach to anyone. 8oz, 45 min to an hour before.