1st Trimester

How do you handle a blabber mouth

i have only shared my pregnancy with a handful of people outside
Of family and now I have gotten a text from a friend asking about it. Never even hinted to her I was pregnant. I know who told her because we have only ONE mutual friend. The Prego in me wants to freak out on the blabber mouth. How should I approach this? I am really upset about it but I know hormones are in control these days!!!!

Best Answer

Answers

• That is precisely why I don't tell anyone, including family, early. My mom has been the blabber mouth with all prior pregnancies so she will be last to know going forward.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Loading the player...
  • I told her because she was in my house and noticed the prenatal vitamins and Prego pops. My fault for leaving them out
  • linny4linny4 member
    I would tell her to please keep it to herself from now on.
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Dating 02/04/2004 Married 08/11/2012
    TTC 08/2014 
    BFP 01/01/2015
    MMC 10 weeks 02/16/15
    BFP 06/18/2015 DS Born 02/28/2016 
  • I think she should have known not to tell anyone unless you specifically told her she could. If it were me I'd tell her straight, you can't go around blabbing about something like a pregnancy, especially in the early stages. Lots of
    my friends have gossiped about it, but that's because I've just finished university and they're all 19-22 year olds and I'm quite a novelty. I let them chatter, if the worst happens I don't mind being honest about it. But that's just me. Good luck, and don't let it stress you out :) xx
  • You can reiterate to all who know that you don't want them to tell anyone until you do.  Really that's all you can do once the cat's out of the bag.  I don't tell anyone until I'm ready for the world to know for this exact reason. 

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• hansonec said:

i have only shared my pregnancy with a handful of people outside
    Of family and now I have gotten a text from a friend asking about it. Never even hinted to her I was pregnant. I know who told her because we have only ONE mutual friend. The Prego in me wants to freak out on the blabber mouth. How should I approach this? I am really upset about it but I know hormones are in control these days!!!!

Did you specifically tell this person to keep it to themselves?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I feel like whenever you tell somebody something like this you have to realize the possibility that it will come out before you announce which is why I keep it between dh and myself until I'm ready for everyone to know.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Can you just ignore her?
  • I did tell her to not share it with anyone as I'm still early. I'm very disappointed. Luckily we do only have one mutual friend so she can't go running her mouth to more people!
  • I feel like whenever you tell somebody something like this you have to realize the possibility that it will come out before you announce which is why I keep it between dh and myself until I'm ready for everyone to know.

This. If you don't want anyone to know, don't tell anyone. Otherwise, you shouldn't expect people to keep your secrets when you don't.
  • All of the previous advice is excellent. I'd just like to add that I would personally not give this person any information on your pregnancy. That is, unless it's already common knowledge!
  • Tell her to shut her face
    I apologize for coming off as snarky. I have that tendency lol. I'm just a very straight forward, no nonsense person. Some hate me for it, some love me for it. Obviously I wouldn't say "shut your face" but something a little more tactful
  • I would find a clever way to say note taken and make sure to keep my mouth shut around her. Make sure she's the last to know. I'm finding this is helpful with SO mom who feels the need to constantly comment and voice concerns. I'm trying to set boundaries now, so when babe comes, it's not as big as issue and stresser.
  • If it makes you feel any better, my sister in law had to take me to the hospital for bleeding, and she called her husband. Her husband then told a bunch of people at work that I was expecting.... We work for the same company, and now a bunch of people know :( which is upsetting because I've been having issues with my pregnancy . If I MC, I'm going to make him tell everyone!
  • That sucks. Did you tell her to not say anything? We've only told my best friend so far because I can trust that she won't even tell her boyfriend. We're waiting until the end of this month to finally tell my brother in law and MIL because I'll be at 11 weeks so it seems safer. 

Reason I didn't tell my MIL yet is because she would be so excited and although she means well, she would blab to people as long as she thinks they don't know me or my husband, because then it's "safe" to tell because I wouldn't find out. I think she kind of misses the point of keeping it to herself in general. But if she blabs closer to 11 weeks then I won't be as mad at her. 

There are times where I just want to blurt it out, so I can understand why a friend might do so because they're excited and not thinking of the ramifications. I would send a text to everyone you've told and just say "Oh, if I hadn't already mentioned, I would really appreciate it if you keep our happy news to yourselves. We would like to wait until we are this many weeks before letting everyone know. We just want to be cautious but wanted our nearest and dearest to know right away".