December 2015 Moms
Options

3 Hour Glucose Test?

At my 16 week appointment I did a bunch of bloodwork. All came back fine except my glucose level was a bit high. They thought it was because I ate right before appointment. Had the 1 hour test on Thursday and found out today it was still high so they are having me do the 3 hour test Friday. I need to eat certain things the next three days leading up to it. Anyone else have to do the 3 hour test (probably during a previous pregnancy) and not end up with GD? If you did end up with gestational diabetes was everything okay as long as you watched what you ate?

Re: 3 Hour Glucose Test?

• Options
    I have not had GD before (I get to do the one hour test at the end of this month even though all my blood work is fine they are worried cause my BMI is high grrrr). However two of my friends did and they both just very recently had their babies. Both of their babies are very healthy and happy little ones. I think as long as you do well on you diet you will be good. :)
  • Options
    I failed the 1 hour with my 1st pregnancy and with this one (I had to do it at 12 weeks for some dumb reason - probably because of high BMI) and had to do the 3 hour. I passed the 3 hour both times. My Mama (who is and always has been tiny) failed the 1 hour with all 4 of her pregnancies and passed the 3 hour. I think a lot of people have to take the 3 hour test but end up not having GD.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Question, is this test done at 16week and anytime during your second tri?
  • Options
    I have had GDM with both of my previous pregnancies. I watched what I ate, but with the first I ended up on insulin due to my labs falling through the cracks. The second time I took Glyburide. Sometimes no matter what you do, you can't avoid it. This time the doctors cannot decide if I am or not. I failed the one hour and depends on who you talk to, I may or may not have failed the 3hr. I had to have an A1c drawn for the deciding factor. I can't get anyone to call back with thevresults. To tell you the truth, I would rather check my blood sugar 4 times a day than be in limbo. There is a diet to follow and you would monitor your sugar.
  • Options
    fmragliofmraglio member
    edited July 2015
    I just did my 3 hour. My A1C was elevated at my first appointment and I failed my one hour, but passed my 3 hour. Diet plays a huge part into it I wouldn't worry to much until they give you reason to worry :)

ETA: They made me do another A1C after I passed the 3 hour and it was completely normal. Sometimes these tests just turn out weird, but I've kind of been wondering if they mixed my results up with someone else's in the first place. Probably unlikely, but seems weird to me as an A1C is an average of your levels in the long term.
  • Options
    My OB said that the glucose test won't be done for me until around week 28.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    ksrkimksrkim member
    I had GD in my first pregnancy. Everything was fine with baby. I followed the diet and had to check my BS 4 times a day. For the the last 6 weeks, I had to go in twice a week for non stress tests and they would not let me go past my due date without delivering. Every practice might be different, I just wanted to share my experience.

That being said...I have heard of many people failing the 1 hour and doing fine on the 3 hour.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Keeping my fingers crossed everything turns out fine after the 3 hour test. Good to hear that if it does come up at GD I just need to watch what I eat.

@lupita99 Usually they have you do the regular 1 hour glucose test between 24 and 26 weeks. I'm not sure if it's odd that glucose is tested during earlier blood work or not. It was never mentioned to me during my first pregnancy so I'm not sure if it was tested early on or not.
  • Options
    I had to do the 3 hour test 7 years ago and it came back just fine. Boy was I cranky about not eating though!
  • Options
    I got told due to my BMI they will do it twice once at the end of this month and once at 28 weeks. I'm a little annoyed because other than my BMI there's nothing else to be concerned about but better safe than sorry.