High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

A few GD questions

I was diagnosed with GD at 9 weeks, I'm 30 weeks today. I've been on insulin since week 13 - I've seen some posts about people who will be induced due to being on insulin. Is this always the case? My doctors haven't mentioned it yet.

Also, how long after having baby is it possible for me to still have sugar issues? I was not on insulin or anything beforehand.

And I plan on breastfeeding as soon as my son is born - are there any reasons why this may not be possible? I do go back to the doctor next week but wanted some feedback from any ladies who may have experience with this. Thank you!

Re: A few GD questions

• Options
    Generally they will induce you if there are concerns with Bub being really big, if your sugars, measurements and scans have been ok then there may be no need. I was diagnosed at 30 weeks which is quite late and baby is measuring 4 weeks ahead so I am likely to be induced, but have another scan next week to get a more accurate size estimate.

Most women's sugars return to normal as soon as the placenta is delivered. They will continue to check your sugars post delivery and you will have another glucose tolerance test between 8-12 weeks post delivery.

Breastfeeding is shown to help regulate babies sugars so they will encourage you to bf ASAP!
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a diabetic. My OB always induces his diabetic and GD patients during their 39th week. He will not let us go past our due dates. We scheduled my induction probably around week 36-37. I can't answer your second question but after I had my daughter, I went back to my normal insulin levels the next morning. I ultimately had a c section, but I successfully breastfed for 15 weeks (I had to stop due to meds for a staph infection). She successfully relatched after I finished taking the antibiotics and they left my system. I still supplemented during the day but she weaned from night nursing shortly after she turned 2 years old.  I had my daughter with my in recovery 45 minutes later. 
  • Options
    My hospital typically induces diabetics at 39 weeks with the caveat that every patient is different so they may suggest otherwise depending on how you're doing. As for breastfeeding, the lactation consultant told me they will encourage it even more to help me and baby.
  • Options
    My OB is adamant that I cannot go beyond 39 weeks, they didn't let me with my first, after my daughter was born, I stopped needing insulin immediately. I did have monitoring every 4-6 months after and eventually got type 2. My daughter had no ill effects from the insulin, but they monitored us both for 3 days. I was able to breastfeed for 5 weeks, my milk supply was low though.
  • Options
    I was told that they would treat my pregnancy no different as long as I can keep my GD controlled with diet and exercise alone. I know that this isn't the case for you but just wanted to put it out there that GD doesn't necessarily have to mean an induction or CS.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am also insulin dependent and have GD. My midwife told me it is normal to induce a week early if you are on insulin during the pregnancy. They also told me there is no reason to take the baby when it is born, because I also plan to breastfeed especially during that first hour. Don't worry!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    They want to induce GD babies pretty much no matter what, because they are afraid of them gaining too much in the last week or 2. And that is valid, if they are gaining an oz a day, think of how big they can get if you wait to have it naturally. It sucks, but it is what it is. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker