1st Trimester
Options

Too soon to see doctor but worried it's ectopic--where to go?

canavaracanavara member
edited June 2015 in 1st Trimester
I'm 30 years old and 6w1d pregnant with my first child. It was unplanned and I just found out a week ago--so I don't even have a doctor lined up (nor do I even have a GP right now, just moved here). Had some funny symptoms to start the pregnancy... about 11 days after conception, I had what I assume was implantation cramping but it was a sharp crampy pain around my ovary so my first thought was that it was an ovarian cyst. 

Pain went away though within a few days though... and I started getting normal pregnancy symptoms like bloating, nausea, constipation, and super sore breasts--which is what led me to take a pregnancy test. 

The past couple of days though, all those symptoms went away and I've been feeling some random sharp cramps, mostly at night. They come in quick spurts and go away almost immediately. I know the pregnancy symptoms can come and go throughout the first trimester and that maybe it's a miscarriage, maybe it's ectopic, whatever the case, you should see a doc if you're worried... but... I don't even know who I should be going to see about this at this point. I feel so dumb about all of this, since I wasn't even planning the pregnancy and know really nothing :| I've only known I was pregnant for about 6 days at this point so I've been looking for an obstetrician but haven't really settled on anyone yet since I know you don't do your first prenatal visit until about 8 weeks anyway. I don't feel so strongly that it's ectopic that I think I need to go the ER... I'm not bleeding or experiencing chills, but I just feel anxious. Am I just being overly anxious? Should I wait until my first prenatal apt? Is it weird to just visit a random obstretrician just once for an early ultrasound?

Re: Too soon to see doctor but worried it's ectopic--where to go?

• Options
    My advice would be to just call an OB/GYN that you decide on and ask to talk to a nurse and tell the nurse your concerns and he/she will tell you what they believe is going on and they will guide you in the right direction.
  • Options
    Dont worry... I had cramping for the first 6weeks. Im sure everthing is fine, but either way a doctor can let you know the blood tests they run should be able to spot an eptopic even wothout an ultrasound
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cramping here too especially at night. Call your ob

Signs of ectopic would be bleeding, shoulder tip pain, and severe abdominal cramping. Try to relax we've all been there. Hope your dr allievates your concerns.
  • Options
    I had cramping from 4-7 weeks with both pregnancies, it's supposedly your uterus stretching. I also had a 5hr session of cramps so intense I almost could not stand; the only reason I remember the time frame was I had just boarded a plane to fly from Hawaii to Cali, so the whole 5hrs I was convinced it was ectopic and I was going to be dead by the time we landed. Gotta love pregnancy emotions.

If you really feel something is wrong, go to the emergency room. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    I had very similar symptoms to you and ended up going to the ER rather casually to get checked out. Turns out I was fine and I'm now 12 weeks :) It was a weekend so I couldn't go to my GP anyway. You have every right to go along to the ER, before I went I phoned the early pregnancy unit and that's what they told me to do. People go to the ER with far less concerning things than a potential ectopic. Sooner you get checked, sooner you've got some peace of mind, and nothing is more valuable while pregnant :) good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine xx
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies :) I finally buckled down and found an OB and they're going to do an ultrasound next week. Hopefully everything is okay but hearing similar tales at least helped me relax in the meantime!
  • Options
    Mousie93Mousie93 member
    edited June 2015
    Hi yes I did realise ER meant emergency room. I'm from UK and we call it A&E, accident and emergency. I was experiencing abdominal pains and phoned my early pregnancy unit who told me to go to A&E. They were incredibly helpful and supportive and gave me a very thorough examination. The doctor I saw booked me in for an early scan at the epau the following day. I do not feel like I did the wrong thing by going to the hospital, I did what was recommended by a midwife.
  • Options
    Realise I probably did come across blasé about going to hospital in my original post, but ectopic is a potentially life-threatening and fertility threatening condition and shouldn't ever be taken lightly. The midwife I spoke to before going to hospital told me they always ask people with abdominal pain of any kind to go to A&E if it's a weekend, which it was in my experience.
    Didn't mean to offend :)
  • Options
    I completely agree and would never have gone had it not been a weekend and had it not been recommended by a professional. I ended up being kept in for 6 hours while they prodded and poked, and was on an IV due to dehydration. Not the best experience!
  • Options
    Yikes! Sorry to hear you went through that! At least all was well.
  • Options
    It was because I had a fast heart rate (I was really nervous!) and every time they tried to take my heart rate and BP I would get nervous again that it would be high! Silly body haha. Good luck again, all the best x
  • Options
    Following up on this--got my first ultrasound... totally healthy... TWINS. Totally unexpected... unplanned... was on birth control pills which failed... and on top of that, I have 0 history of twins in my family :|

I'm super super super super overwhelmed right now.
  • Options
    I'm 28 weeks & I felt exactly like you did. I had myself convinced that my pregnancy was ectopic. I had very bad cramping, like I just knew I was going to start my period any minute, anyways turns out I had a corpus letum cyst, its very normal and isn't harmful to you or baby. It actually provides nutrients and things to baby until your placenta takes over. Hope this helps to ease your mind :)
  • Options
    Wow! Congratulations! Hang in there girl. Everything happens for a reason-you were meant to be a mom to those twins! One day it will all make sense. Try to focus on the good and take care of yourself!