Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Non-Verbal 2 year old....having a hard time with tantrums!

I don't know if there is anyone else out there facing this, but I hope to find a least someone who can help. I have a completely non-verbal 2 year old boy. His hearing is fine and he follows directions, can point to objects if you ask him, etc. He makes car noises, dog noises, cat noises....but no words. He was starting to speak some when his sister was born (he was 20 months old), but since her birth, he has stopped words completely. He just points and uses gestures to tell what he wants. He also used to be very well behaved in public places, but we have had to stop going to church completely due to the tantrums every Sunday. When he throws tantrums, he screams, throws objects, pulls hair (mine, his sisters), bites the dog, and throws himself on the ground violently. We have tried every way in the world to avoid the tantrum, but they occur when we don't understand what he wants. He can't tell us what he wants, so therefore we are guessing gestures....too many wrong guesses and it's a knock out drag out. It's extremely embarrassing to take him in public anymore, so we just stay home. We bought a broom at Wal-Mart once, and it started a tantrum because we wouldn't let him hold the broom and sweep Wal-Mart's floors. We literally drug this kid out of the store screaming and kicking....over a broom. Please....someone offer me some advice. I can't take it anymore. 

Re: Non-Verbal 2 year old....having a hard time with tantrums!

• Options

ummm initially I feel the need to say don't try and stop the tantrums! If you know he can talk and he was starting to do so before DD came along it sounds like he has regressed. The fact that you are willing to guess so much gets him attention. its become a game to him...Personally I would try consistently, for a week, asking what he is pointing at. no more guessing. there will be tantrums and fights and as soon as he hurts/lashes out at you he goes to time out. Your LO sounds extremely smart. I know when we had our second our DD started tantrums...we have been consistent and noticed her improving but we still see tantrums.

im sorry you are going through all of this. Hopefully there is an end in sight!

Good luck

• Options
    Have you talked to anyone like a doctor or therapist about him being non-verbal? It very well could be because of your other child being born but I would definitely be concerned with the lack of talking and now the outbursts. Something is going on. I'd get him seen an evaluated right away.