High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

On insulin and scheduled to get induced!

jain2312jain2312 member
edited June 2015 in High-Risk Pregnancy
hi everyone
I have Gestational diabetes and on insulin and therefore have to be induced before my 40th week .. My doc has scheduled it for me on 39 weeks and 2 days..
I was dilated almost 3cm in my mid 37 week..
I hope my labor comes on its own,what chances do I likely have( because of being dilated).. Is anyone having any information about dialation and labor?
My doc says I'll be induced with pitocin.. Just being anxious to know how long does it take usually after being induced ?
And any safe tips to get labor on my own before the scheduled date?

Re: On insulin and scheduled to get induced!

• Options
    Not sure on your chances but I was induced with my second child using pitocin and my little one came about 7 hours after the start of pitocin. I'm going to opt to be induced with my next baby because everything went so well. They say to try and get labor going naturally to exercise, get your feet massaged and eat pineapple. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    Not to be a downer, but Pit SUCKS! I was induced at 38 weeks with my first, and I was not dilated at all. Took about 12 hours to start working, and about 10 hours of painful labor. Everyone is different, but that was my experience with pitocin. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    With pit, you also need to know that when you don't progress your body might just need a break from pit and then have it started back up. I had a picture perfect induction at 39 weeks. They had to back off the pit and start it up again when I was 8cm.
    Use a birthing balls, have sex, walk a lot, dance, and supposedly eating spicy food can help. Evening primrose oil capsules used as suppositories vaginally is supposed to help.
  • Options
    I was insulin Gd and got induced at 39 weeks and ended up in labour for 36 hours then a csection. I second the evening primrose, apparently ingesting works too. I have also heard nipple stimulation, and sex as well..... Believe me pit is awful, try to get it going yourself!
  • Options
    I am a diabetic pre pregnancy. I was induced at 39 weeks 5 days. I was only dilated 1 cm for weeks before my induction date. I also had a c section because after 12.5 hours, I never progressed passed 4/5 cm. That was my experience. I had an epidural within 1-2 hours of being induced so I was very relaxed all day.   
  • Options
    Should I be concerned that as a T1D MY OBGYN wants to induce me at 38 weeks? Is that too early?
  • Options

Should I be concerned that as a T1D MY OBGYN wants to induce me at 38 weeks? Is that too early?

I'm a T1D being induced at 39 weeks however the doctor said he may change that based on size and how baby is doing if needed. I think as long as they are monitoring you before deciding for sure rather than just doing it at 38 weeks, it's ok.
  • Options
    My OB mentioned inductions at 39 weeks or 38. I am going to come prepped with my blood sugars and my strong will. If there is no risk and the baby isn't super big, there is no real reason to go early..... Not that my OB agrees.
  • Options
    Actually another reason they induce is because after 38 weeks infants of diabetic moms have a higher risk of being still born.
  • Options
    I'm T1 and was induced with my first child at 39 weeks, with pitocin and I concur with the majority of the ladies here, that it was awful. However, I was not dilated at all going in and it took me about 12 hours too. Pitocin wasn't doing the job by itself and they had to insert something into me, vaginally to soften my cervix. HORRIBLE contractions until I was finally dilated enough to get my epidural. I'm hoping this time, they let me go on my own!