1st Trimester

NT scan- need reassurance.

so I had my nuchal transparency scan yesterday at 12 weeks and 1 day. I was so excited. I didn't get the scan because I had any concerns but because I just wanted another ultrasound. The baby looked great. So much bigger than my 6 week sonogram and I saw the baby move and flip over. It was such an amazing experience until... The doctor came in and said my fold measurement was just outside of the normal range. At 12 weeks he said I should have measured 2.4mm but I measured 2.6mm. He said that's slightly high and right above what's considered normal. He said they aren't super concerned until it's above 3 but that not I have to meet with a genetic counselor. They are going to get my blood results and give me an overall percentage risk of having chromosomal abnormalities. I will meet with the counselor on Wednesday and get the results. I'm not considering getting the harmony DNA test regardless of the results but I have to see if insurance will cover it. I'm trying to stay calm because the measurement was only a little bit high but honestly I've been an emotional wreck. I know it's early on but I am already so attached. This is my first pregnancy. I would keep the baby regardless but want to be prepared and know what's going on. Sorry this was a lot longer than I meant it to be but my question is...Has anyone had a NT scan that the measurement was too high and went on to have a healthy baby? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: NT scan- need reassurance.

• I'm sorry you are going through this and feeling anxiety.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • There is a lot of controversy about this test. I know like 5 people personally who have been in your position and had perfectly healthy babies. I know is easy for me to say because I'm not in your position but seriously try not to worry. There is a lot of room for error in the nt scan.

• Loading the player...
  • edited June 2015
    g8trkim said:
    There is a lot of controversy about this test. I know like 5 people personally who have been in your position and had perfectly healthy babies. I know is easy for me to say because I'm not in your position but seriously try not to worry. There is a lot of room for error in the nt scan.
    It's only "controversial" to the people who don't understand it. It's not diagnostic. There aren't "false positives." It's a screening. You get odds, based on age, ethnicity, measurements of teh fetus, health history, family health history, etc. If your odds come back higher than normal, you get diagnostic testing. 
  • g8trkim said:
    There is a lot of controversy about this test. I know like 5 people personally who have been in your position and had perfectly healthy babies. I know is easy for me to say because I'm not in your position but seriously try not to worry. There is a lot of room for error in the nt scan.
    It's only "controversial" to the people who don't understand it. It's not diagnostic. There aren't "false positives." It's a screening. You get odds, based on age, ethnicity, measurements of teh fetus, health history, family health history, etc. If your odds come back higher than normal, you get diagnostic testing. 
    I didn't say anything about false positives so I'm not sure what the quotes are about. I know exactly how it works, I've had 2 kids. However, it is controversial because people get high odds when nothing is actually wrong. My point was to share with her that she is not alone and to try not to worry.

• delujm0delujm0 member
    edited June 2015
    g8trkim said:

g8trkim said:

I didn't say anything about false positives so I'm not sure what the quotes are about. I know exactly how it works, I've had 2 kids. However, it is controversial because people get high odds when nothing is actually wrong. My point was to share with her that she is not alone and to try not to worry.

---------------box---------------
    That's what odds are though...just the chance of having an issue. I mean 1 in 10 would be very high odds on an NT scan, but there would still be a 90% chance that the baby was healthy. It is in no way controversial. It's simple math and is designed to give you a good indication of people that may need diagnostic testing.
  • blsav23blsav23 member
    edited June 2015
    I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude, and I'm sorry you're worried but this is why you don't get this test simply because you "want another ultrasound". This test is meant to screen for the risk of genetic abnormalities, not just give an extra glimpse of baby. With that being said, it doesn't sound like your results are terrible. Just take it step by step & hear what the genetic counselor has to say. But, in the future, please think about testing and how you may feel if you receive less that perfectly positive results.
    I am genuinely hoping for the best for you.
    Edited for grammar*
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • AMAmom79AMAmom79 member
    edited June 2015
    I think people lose sight of the fact that an ultrasound isn't just for your to look at baby. An ultrasound is a medical imaging procedure to screen for abnormalities. Getting to see the baby is a side effect, that is NOT the reason it is done.

That being said, even though you are worried, it is probably a very good thing that you did get the screening because if there are problems, the sooner you know the better you can prepare.
  • Well for anyone that was interested and especially those of you that were being compassionate...I got the results back and I am low risk. 1-10,000 chance for a chromosomal problem so I don't have to go through any further testing at the moment.  Thank you so much those of you that had kind, encouraging, reassuring words.  This should be a positive place and when a FM needs extra support they should get that instead of judgment.  As pregnant women and moms we should be sticking together and supporting each other not tearing each other down. 
  • ali1031 said:

Well for anyone that was interested and especially those of you that were being compassionate...I got the results back and I am low risk. 1-10,000 chance for a chromosomal problem so I don't have to go through any further testing at the moment.  Thank you so much those of you that had kind, encouraging, reassuring words.  This should be a positive place and when a FM needs extra support they should get that instead of judgment.  As pregnant women and moms we should be sticking together and supporting each other not tearing each other down. 

Huh. I missed that line in the TOU. Oh,wait, it's not there.
  • ali1031 said:

Well for anyone that was interested and especially those of you that were being compassionate...I got the results back and I am low risk. 1-10,000 chance for a chromosomal problem so I don't have to go through any further testing at the moment.  Thank you so much those of you that had kind, encouraging, reassuring words.  This should be a positive place and when a FM needs extra support they should get that instead of judgment.  As pregnant women and moms we should be sticking together and supporting each other not tearing each other down. 

I wasn't passing judgement, just think it's wise to carefully consider elective genetic testing for this reason: it can cause undue worry. As pregnant women, we (myself included) get so caught up in seeing our babies that sometimes we forget that we may not love what we see.
    I am truly so happy your testing came back with positive results. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy with as little worry as possible.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  •  I have had all normal NT scans, and 2 of my babies I lost to late mc, and those 2 were likely chromosomally abnormal (DNA tests were unable to give answer as cells did not grow) I know its hard to not think the worst, but try to relax. I would opt for amnio, as that will give you more answers. Good luck and thinking of you :)