Multiples
Options

Vehicle for 3 car seats

I'm having twins. We already have a 9 yr old and 4 month old. What kind of suv would you get or do you have?

We looked at an audi suv last weekend.
Might have to get a Tahoe or some other ginormous thing to transport the family around in. :(

Advice? Suggestions?

Re: Vehicle for 3 car seats

• Options
    Following.. I have the same question!

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    I have a Honda Pilot. Pro - it has 3 rows of seats and I believe 5 seats that are car seat ready. Con - accessing 3rd row with two car seat bases installed in 2nd row is a bit of an acrobatic feat. Con - unable to comfortably recline front passenger seat with car seat behind it. If you aren't wanting to go the minivan route (I wasn't), I would highly recommend a SUV with 2nd row Captain's Chairs. I haven't looked into it myself but I read a prior thread where posters were recommending the Chevy Traverse for this. Plus Chevy has WiFi built in - yay! You can Google "suv with captain's seats" for other cars with this feature.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have a Honda Pilot. Pro - it has 3 rows of seats and I believe 5 seats that are car seat ready. Con - accessing 3rd row with two car seat bases installed in 2nd row is a bit of an acrobatic feat. Con - unable to comfortably recline front passenger seat with car seat behind it. If you aren't wanting to go the minivan route (I wasn't), I would highly recommend a SUV with 2nd row Captain's Chairs. I haven't looked into it myself but I read a prior thread where posters were recommending the Chevy Traverse for this. Plus Chevy has WiFi built in - yay! You can Google "suv with captain's seats" for other cars with this feature.

Thank you for reply! My hubs wants an suv w the captain's chairs. Still not sure what we are going to get yet.
  • Options
    We have a Toyota highlander w/ a 3rd row. Right now I have 3 seats across one row, 2 of them are Radians so they are narrow. It's pretty tricky to get into the back-back if both seats are up, but I can make it so that only one side is up. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    We have a 2012 Honda Pilot and it still fits my 3 kids now almost 6, 6, and 7 perfectly in the middle row.  It beat a larger SUV for me and we keep the 3rd row seating down so that we have plenty of cargo space.
  • Options
    I have a GMC Acadia. It has a third row and you can either get bucket seats for the second row or a full 3 seat for the second row. I love my car the only draw back is the trunk space is a little small!
  • Options
    I know you asked about SUV's but I had to comment to say that I love my Honda Odyssey!  We have twin 4 month olds and a 4 year old.  We have the babies in the back row and the 4 year old in a captains chair.  We have removed the other captains chair because we went on a few long roadtrips and used that area for the babies to stretch out at stops.  Usually we just have that seat folded down so we can get the bucket seats into the bases.  Lots of for people and things!  We had plenty of room to haul everything we needed for a 6 day trip and actually had space to spare.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Hi! We have the 2014 Dodge Durrango. I have not had my munchkins yet, but I do drive around all my neices and nephews and all their stuff all the time. I have had a double City Select Stroller, my nephews hockey gear, two car seats, one teenager, myself and two adults.
    I absolutely love it.
    Just a thought.
  • Options
    We are split between a Highlander and Pilot. We will test drive in a few weeks to figure it out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is really useful. We had this conversation yesterday because DH has two kids from his previous marriage, so 50% of the time there will be six of us riding around! His current SUV only seats five. I will now be one of those giant car driving ladies- funny because MY current car is a mini cooper.
    Me: 36, Him: 38; 2 rescue dogs, 2 stepsons. First pregnancy ! (Eek!)

• Options
    I just got a used 2011 Pilot Touring. I plan to put the twins in the middle row leaving the outside slider for rear acess open and my 1 yr old in the back. In this model year you can use 5 latch system rear facing seats. I tried the highlander and the sienna and I wasn't in love.
  • Options
    We are also having this conversation in our house, and we have completely ruled out anything with captain chairs, because I'm not sure how you would access the third row with rear facing car seats in both captains chairs and I want to be able to reach the babies from the front seat. I do a lot of road trips on my own so I need to be able to hand back snacks & toys if we're stuck in traffic or whatever. We also have a 2 year old, so we're looking at SUVs that can either fit 3 rear facing seats in the 2nd row or 2 rear facing seats in the second row and another in the 3 row. Our plan is to put the twins side by side in the second row and fold the last seat down so that my toddler can easily climb into the 3rd row and get buckled without climbing over a seat. If that makes sense?

So far our options are Honda Pilot, Dodge Durango, GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse and Ford Explorer.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    We are having twins, plus an 8 year old in a booster, plus a 12 year old, and a 17 & 18 year old that ride with us from time to time.

We have an Audi Q7 with the 3rd row. We
    Also have a Honday Odyssey. The plan is to have the twin seats on each side of the second row, booster in the back. We won't all fit in the Audi - it's a 7 passenger. The Odyssey fits 8.

We're planning a trip to airport with luggage when the babes are about 3 months old and will have to take 2 vehicles to accommodate luggage as well.

But under normal circumstances either vehicle will work fine for us.
  • Options
    I have a 14 month old and am currently pregnant with twins. I have a large SUV, a Saturn Outlook, which is similar to the GMC Acadia. We are actually switching it out for a Honda Odyssey because it is so nice to have automatic doors when my hands will be so full! I know you asked for SUVs so I just thought I would share we are switching from an SUV to a van because for us it makes more sense.
  • Options
    I have a Tahoe. Mine seats 9 and I love it. Very spacious. I'm pregnant with my fourth. I have a 6,4 and 2 year old
  • Options
    I would keep in mind that you will have difficulty putting a double stroller and anything else in the trunk of any third row SUV when the third row is up. I have four under 3 and I test drove 15 cars (crazy!) as I really didn't want a minivan originally.  The only cars that would easily hold double strollers and even a couple bags were very large SUV's- suburban, Yukon XL or the minivan.  If you have captains chairs- if the kids are rear facing- you can't get into the third row to buckle anyone. 
  • Options
    We are looking at a Chevy Traverse. It has the largest trunk space I've found with both bench seats up outside a Suburban. Enough to get a single stroller and other miscellaneous items if needed. Plan on baby wearing for the other two of my triplets. Hopefully won't need the third seat all the time, but want to have the option. With the third row down it is great trunk space. Anyone else looked at the Chevy Traverse?