July 2015 Moms
Options

Had an unexpected scare today!

bookworm7495bookworm7495 member
edited July 2015 in July 2015 Moms
Hi ladies! I hope everyone had a great weekend and 4th of July (US mommies).

I felt the need to share the experience I had today. So far, I've had a very standard and low risk pregnancy. I'm 36+4 today. I've had a lump under my armpit for the past couple of days. It's a bit concerning because the lymph nodes that it seems to be connected to can lead to some scary thoughts like cancer. I really thought it was probably just an infection due to the pain and irritation. Then, I started getting that "sick" feeling. Body aches, headaches, sore throat, etc. I also believed it might be raising my BP and had CRAZY swelling in my feet and ankles. Since I was out of town, we stopped at Care Now. They took my BP and immediately sent me to the hospital. It was 146/90 which is way higher than mine normally is.

At the hospital, I was first admitted to the ER to look at the lump. My husband and I were so frustrated because the lump seemed to be less important than trying to rule out preeclampsia. The nurses, paramedics, and the guy at registration argued for 10 minutes about where I should be put. It was so fristrating, and I felt like no one was listening.

Finally, I was moved to Labor and Delivery. Eventually my BP went down and some tests were run to rule out preeclampsia. All in all, everything is fine. However, it was very scary to feel out of control and like the hospital didn't have their "stuff" together.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening! I hope you have/had a smooth and safe delivery!

Re: Had an unexpected scare today!

• Options
    Sounds scary! Did they figure out what the lump is?
  • Options
    Aw, how scary! Are you feeling better? And did they end up ruling out the lump as well?

(One of the lymphnodes in my left armpit has also been swollen but my OB told me to was probably from either an increase in hormones or a reaction to my deodorant.)

I'll definitely be keeping you and your LO in my prayers, and I hope you start feeling better soon! God bless.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a lump/pain in my armpit too and it is basically just from retaining fluid. It went away after a day and a half. My Systolic has been high on my bp too and the nurse said it was from retaining fluid/water. It was that way for two of my appts (weekly) but was normal last week.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I'm not exactly sure what the lump is yet. I had a smaller one a few months ago when I switched deodorant. I stopped using it and it went away. This one is much bigger and more painful. I was told to ask my OB at my next appointment this week. I'm still concerned about it, but I'm just relieved that I'm home and baby is safe right now!

If I was told that it was retaining fluid, that wouldn't surprise me either! I'm walking on cankles now :)