February 2016 Moms
Options

Is dental work safe?

i need another cavity filling (& I had one done when I didn't know I was yet pregnant). I also need a crown. Anyone know if this is safe while pregnant or should I cancel the appointments?

Re: Is dental work safe?

• Options
    I know people who have had crowns when pregnant. But ask the dentist of course. No x-rays obviously.

• Options
    Definitely ask your dentist but I do know routine cleaning are highly recommended while pregnant as oral health care is a large part of our overall health.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had 2 cavities filled with my son. The dentist called my OB to confirm it was ok. Just make sure you ask your OB too to make sure and make sure the dentist knows in advance as well that you're pregnant.
    #2 EDD: 2/3/16
    DS Born: 10/11/13

• Options
    I think it's all safe as long as there is no sedation. Many dentists won't sedate a pregnant woman anyway. I had a tooth pulled and a cavity a few weeks ago.
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Right around the time I got pregnant I had to go to the dentist for a broken tooth. While I was there I got x-rays and found out I needed a crown, a possible root canal, a deep cleaning and my wisdom teeth removed. I scheduled my crown for the following week and they gave me effenedrine (sp?) I developed some sort of infection and took a round of anti-biotics and ibuprofen & tylenol for the pain. I found out a week later I was pregnant. Whoops! The only thing I couldn't have done was have my wisdom teeth removed. The dentist confirmed with my midwife what I could and couldn't have. The dentist said you absolutely should not put off necessary dental work while pregnant because it could lead to more problems (like an infection that could spread to baby or an abscess etc). He said they deal with pregnant women all the time and know what is and isn't safe during pregnancy. Good luck :)
  • Options
    kkolojkkoloj member
    Right after I O'd I had a couple of implants finalized. I found out a week later I was pregnant. A couple of days ago I had the crowns put on. I did get novacaine shots when the outside posts were put in, but not when they put in the crowns. I was worried, but it was nothing. I'm glad I got everything done now.
  • Options
    Wanted to clarify that once they knew I was pregnant, they doubled up the lead shield for an x-ray and said no more effenedrine but they could give me nitrous oxide for other dental services.
  • Options
    My doctor told me on Thursday, no dentist visits until I'm 13 weeks.
  • Options
    Wanted to clarify that once they knew I was pregnant, they doubled up the lead shield for an x-ray and said no more effenedrine but they could give me nitrous oxide for other dental services.

That was basically my experience, too.  A week after I found out I was pregnant I was having severe tooth pain - I had a bad cavity with infection in an erupted wisdom tooth.  My OB said double up shields for x-ray and no epinephrine.  They did just one x-ray on the bad tooth.  The dentist was great and the whole thing was really no big deal.  If it wasn't something serious I might wait, but since I had bad pain and infection it wasn't worth the risk of it getting worse.
  • Options
    Good question, with dd I only had a cleaning but I have a couple filling scheduled early August. Might need to change those for later especially since I'm sure I would be gagging the whole time. I barely make it through brushing my teeth if I think about it too much
  • Options
    There are certain times during pregnancy that most dentist prefer to work on pregnant patients. Some will wait if it is not absolutely necessary at the time. They can double vest you to take X-rays. It is even better if the X-rays are digital as the radiation is lower than film. Also, ask them to use and injection such as carbocaine. If has no epinephrine in it. We use that at my office where I work. Make sure you get clearance with your OB on any work that you have done.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have a cleaning scheduled for next week - assuming that won't be a problem.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker