Health & Exercise
Options

Birth Control

Hi Ladies-
Just looking to get some input. I have high blood pressure so my options for birth control are limited to the mini pill, implanon on and IUD. I don't think the mini pill is for me since I have a hard time remembering to take it. I've tried mite a in the past and didn't have a great experience but it was before I had children so not sure if it would be any different now- I had constant cramping with it previously. My doctor did recommend skyla IUD which is a bit smaller than mirena and lasts only 3 years. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with that or the implanon. Thanks! :)

Re: Birth Control

• Options

I also have a high blood pressure history and have limited options.  I do think my high blood pressure may have actually been caused by the pill as I have not had high blood pressure since I stopped taking it 3 years ago since I was pregnant with my son. I still try to be cautious and think it is best to avoid the pill, but I'm going to ask my doctor about that next week.  I had the Paraguard IUD for 2 years.  I didn't have a ton of issues, but it did make my period really long and really heavy.  Basically from 3 days to a full week, super heavy.  It was really unpleasant for a week, but otherwise fine.  It got to the point that I was sick of dealing with it and got the Mirena 3 weeks ago.  I was assured there would be no side effects, except for not getting a period maybe (Yay!).  Well 1 week later I noticed my hair felt thinner.  I checked and this is a side effect of Mirena.  I'm now going to get it out and get some sort of pill that will not impact blood pressure. I have never heard of a Skyla. I know my experience with IUDs hasn't been the best, but some people love them.  I actually wish I just kept my Paraguard in hindsight. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Have you considered a non hormone method like a diaphragm or cervical cap? It may be worth it considering all your blood issues.