January 2016 Moms
Options

Prenatal Vitamins - Might be the Death of Me...

Does anyone else's body absolutely HATE prenatal vitamins?

I was taking the One-A-Day in the beginning, but I would gag every time because they tasted so bad and were so huge, I was also having major constipation issues with them; I stopped taking them in the morning and waited until after lunch which seemed to help some, but not completely.  My sister suggested switching brands, so I switched to the Walmart Equate brand - these were sooo much easier to swallow without the weird taste, but my body hates them still.

I'm not sure if it's just prenatal vitamins in general or a certain brand, but at least every other day I either vomit them back up (along with anything I've eaten) within 15-20 minutes of taking them, or within 2-3 hours I have such severe constipation cramps that I am doubled over crying.  I'm hoping this is just a first trimester thing (I'm 11w4d), but I'm worried that it might not be.

Anyone else have similar issues?  Ideas?  I am going to mention it to my doctor on 7/6, but it has been very rough the past 3 weeks....

Re: Prenatal Vitamins - Might be the Death of Me...

• Options
    :( that sounds terrible, I'm so sorry you're dealing with that.
    My last pregnancy I didn't pick the right prenatal and they had a ton of calcium in them, so the rec'd dose was 4 pills per day. And they were nasty.
    Now I take one that doesn't have so much calcium, so it's just one (smaller) tablet.
    I'd try taking a fiber supplement to see if that helps the constipation issues. My intake nurse this time round suggested taking the vitamin with a juice high in vit C to help with iron absorption. Take it when you're feeling your best - for me that is usually after dinner. Some ladies also have better luck taking them right before bed.
  • Options
    I can definitely relate! The only thing that worked for me was taking them before bed..I tried after meals, switching brands etc. But I haven't had any issues since I switched to before bed! Good luck! Oh just keep them on a bedside table with a bottle of water for a good reminder.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    maeg66maeg66 member
    This may not be as helpful but, I bought the spring valley prenatal vitamins and then decided not to take them until I talk to my doctor at my first appointment on Wednesday. They're cheap and they have a lot of good reviews on Amazon. So personally, I haven't tried them yet to give you an answer, but a lot of people say they don't have any issues taking them!

https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Valley-Prenatal-Multivitamin-tablets/dp/B001PLHIUI
  • Options
    Mine are about the only things that make me gag but once I get them down I'm fine. I use the honest one a day. I also take fish oil and baby aspirin and have no problems with those.
  • Options
    I was also using the one-a-day brand and had the same issues you have. I switched to a gummy brand and it is much better.
  • Options
    I'm not good with vitamins even when I'm not pregnant, but I have been taking the prenatal a from vitafusion. They are gummies so they don't smell awful and pretty easy on your stomach
  • Options
    Have you thought of trying the gummy kind? Could help with the taste and nausea from swallowing them.
  • Options
    cmae6cmae6 member
    I had the same problem! I'm now on my fourth brand! I recommend rainbow lite. They are all natural and even have probiotics to help with constipation. They also have a petite size and you can take 3 tiny pills throughout the day to give yourself time to adjust. So far they have been great!
  • Options
    Yes! I agree, the Rainbow Light prenatal petite pills have been a life saver for me. I'm thinking the ginger in them actually calm my stomach when I start to feel a little nauseous. Also, the constipation was completely gone after I started taking these. The only downside is the taste, but I quickly got over that. 
  • Options
    This pregnancy has been fine but my last two they made me sick, I found taking them with almond milk and breakfast really helped. I don't normally drink almond milk but I drank it none stop with my two boys. Hope this helps.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    I take the gummy ones. I like them a lot actually - and they do not cause any sickness or anything. My doctor said that the gummy ones are easier to take. May want to try those?
  • Options
    My OB recommended gummy vitamins. It's like taking candy! And haven't had any nausea since switching to them.
  • Options
    Gummies! I also take extra fish oil and calcium in gummy form.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    I had a similar problem. I had to get mine through a prescription. We figured out I was reacting to the fish oil in the over the counter ones. I had to actually try two different prescription kinds before I found the right now. I now take it with breakfast and feel great (I mean the vitamins aren't making me sick ;)) Hope this helps. 
  • Options
    I also recommend switching to the gummies. My stomach reacts badly to vitamins when I'm not pregnant so when ms hit, I had to switch to the gummies to keep anything down.
  • Options
    maeg66maeg66 member
    How much sugar do the gummies have?
  • Options
    Mine are horribly gaggy, so I cut them in half. They do wonders for digestion though since they have probiotic and other digestive support stuff in them.
  • Options
    You might be allergic to a particular ingredient.  For example, I have a carrot allergy and the concentrated beta carotene in most prenatal vitamins is from carrots so it made me sick almost right away.  I had to turn to other supplements to complete the spectrum of vitamins needed while avoiding the beta carotene.
  • Options
    I've been taking the One-A-Day prenatals (which are actually 2 pills...the  name is misleading!) One is the prenatal (it's pink and chalky) and the other is a prenatal plus DHA (gel-MUCH easier to swallow!) I've had stomach issues with them as well, so I've been breaking the chalky prenatal in half. I take half in the morning after breakfast (don't take it without food!) and I take the other half and the DHA before bed (with a snack).  This has completely taken care of all of my "tummy trouble."  I hope you find something that works for you!
  • Options
    I take mine after dinner, as being on a full stomach helps a lot. And taking them at night is way easier too. You could also get a prenatal with no iron, that will help constipation. This is the one I take and it works well for me: https://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Vitamin-Code/Multivitamin-Formulas/RAW-Prenatal.aspx
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    I dread taking mine too! I just have so much trouble swallowing it, and the smell is so powerful. I hold my breath while opening, knock it back fast with a drink, then run to wash my hands and grab a snack to treat myself, lol. 

I've heard good things about gummies, though I heard somewhere that they're not recommended past the first trimester. I'm not sure where I heard that though so do your research first. 
  • Options
    Have you tried the gummies?? I love them! I hated my prenatals last time but love the gummies!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was throwing up 7-11 times because of the one a day prenatal. Then I switched to a different kind which also made me vomit several times a day. The I switched to gummies and now I throw up like 1-2 times a day. Made a huge difference. It doesn't have iron in it so I try to eat iron rich foods
  • Options
    Try New Chapter Perfect Prenatal! I started taking the regular multivitamin by them a few years ago after the OneADay brand made me feel nauseated when I took it. Next Chapter can be taken on an empty stomach (even the most sensitive tummies) because it's made from whole foods.
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    I've heard that iron can make a lot of people really sick, so that could be what's doing you in. You could try finding a prenatal without iron, and then working with different iron supplements (if you don't get enough in your diet).
  • Options
    TopitsTopits member
    edited July 2015
    Oh thank goodness I am not the only one! My original prenatal (Concept OB) that my Dr. gave me made me sick even before I was pregnant. I curbed it by taking it right before I went to bed. Now that I am 7 weeks and the 1st Tri symptoms are creeping up, I cannot tolerate the prenatal at all, even right  before bed. Been nauseous all week in general, but every time I take my prenatal I throw up within 20 minutes. Called my doctor this AM and they said to take children's vitamins x2 a day. Apparently 2 childrens vitamins (think flinstones) are the equivalent of a prenatal.

Little unsure about this, since it seems prenatals are in a ballpark all by themselves with the folic acid and iron and stuff.... guess I am surprised that childrens vitamins are so intense.
  • Options
    The gummy vitamins don't have iron in them, so that's something to consider as the further along you get in your pregnancy, the higher your chance of becoming deficient.
  • Options
    Rainbow Light prenatal vitamins all the way. They are plant based and have ginger in them and they are the only ones of 6 I have tried that don't make me feel sick and/or extremely constipated. You can find them at any vit shop or whole foods. Good luck!
  • Options
    ^^^ Exactly! They have digestion support. I definitely recommend them. They can be on the pricy side. I found them at CVS for cheaper than the vit shop.