August 2015 Moms

Your description of braxton hicks/contractions

i know everyones pregnancy is different but no one can seem to give me an idea of what to watch for.

Re: Your description of braxton hicks/contractions

• I didn't have any the first time around. This time around it's like a full on contraction. Stomach gets tight (meaning I can get a pretty clear idea of where her butt and knees are because they're poking out of my belly, almost like someone sucked the extra fluid out of my stomach), period like cramps in the front, and cramps in my lower back. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My experience has been:

Braxton hicks = tightening/squeezing sensation of abdomen that occurs at random

Contraction = cramp (gradually increases in pain) that goes from top of uterus to bottom intensifying as it goes and comes with a pattern

• Loading the player...
  • Mine kind of felt like a charlie horse but without the pain
  • Maybe im just not having any yet. Is it normal not to have any? My stomach gets hard but in the front sometimes but i figured the baby had just moved to the front of my belly. My doctor is always telling me to watch for them and make sure they arent a certain amount of time apart....i dont think I've had any lol which kind of worries me.
  • If your belly is getting hard in the front for a brief period of time then that is a contraction. I didn't know what to feel for the 1st time around until I had one during the ultrasound and the tech told me I was having them.

This 2nd time around they are full on and frequent. It feels like your stomach is squeezing from the inside out. Mine last about 1 minute right now. Sometimes take my breath away

When a full on contraction happens it will be difficult to walk or talk thru it. You will definitely know when that happens.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • FTM but I have the tightening tummy like PP said it's like someone sucked out the fluid from my stomach so she feels like a rock for a bit and then it goes back to being a bit more squishy to touch. It's hard to pick up on unless I'm lying down and feel my tummy during and then after - there's a definite difference. I could easily be having them when I'm out and about and have no idea as there is zero pain associated with them at the moment.
  • Same as PP - tightening of stomach to the point you have to either slow down or change positions.

• I can't tell if my stomach is getting tight but I do get a slight un comfy cramp feeling sometimes it can be a tiny bit painfull but nothing to stop me not sure if BH or not tbh lol ftm
  • My experience has been:

Braxton hicks = tightening/squeezing sensation of abdomen that occurs at random

Contraction = cramp (gradually increases in pain) that goes from top of uterus to bottom intensifying as it goes and comes with a pattern

@breezymeema7 and I are the same person.

Just kidding. But I agree with exactly how she described BH's vs. real contractions.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MissV22CMissV22C member
    edited July 2015
    My BHs make my tummy and sides rock hard and sometimes the tightness/pressure is enough to take my breath away, but they never hurt as such. I mistook mine for being the baby stretching initially, but then i realised that with one of the BHs she was kicking towards my face, so it would have been impossible for her to do that and stretch out horizontally at the same time. Mine generally come more in the afternoon, last about a minute and I'll get them for a few hours about 20-40 minutes apart.

As a pp said, I've heard that contractions start at the top of the tummy and work their way down but i haven't had anything like that.
  • I feel constant period like cramps.. Then tightening .. But the cramping pasts me pretty much all the time lately
  • I get period like cramps and my dr says that this is normal
  • I get BH often, but never feel any discomfort. Usually the only way I know I'm having one is if I'm Poking my belly trying to feel baby. When I'm having a BH, my whole tummy is hard and I can't feel with my hand where baby is. It never lasts long, but when it goes away, my belly is squishy again and I can feel baby's back and bum with my hand.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • I just got back from l&d because of severe contractions. They gave me 2 horse size pills to make it stop. It started for me at the top and made its way down. It was really intense when it got to the middle of my stomach. It's nothing like period cramps to me. It's like some one is taking something sharp and just running it down the inside of your stomach and your stomach gets extremely tight. Mine was also accompanied with nausea and vomiting plus the runs. You will definitely know when it happens. I'll put it this way I'd rather go through my kidneys failing again then feeling contraction pain.