December 2015 Moms

Raw Eggs

i know I know you've all heard it all and everything is going to be fine, I just wanted to run it by a few ladies. Yesterday at lunch a group of us went out to this new Italian restaurant in town. I ordered a Caesar salad and didn't think twice about the actual dressing. I ate the salad and my fried calamari and went on with my day. Then it hit me after lunch...was that dressing bottled? Was it homemade? Did it have raw eggs? Am I ok? Do I call the doctor? Do I call poison control? Lol ladies every thought ran through my head. Yes the dressing was homemade and yes it contained raw eggs...it's almost 24 hours later and I'm fine. Anyone else experience this and been just fine. I have no fever, no chills, no headache, no diarrhea, no vomiting, I've eaten two meals since then and I seem to be ok...what do you all think? Lol

Re: Raw Eggs

• My doctor told me yesterday to live like a normal person when I asked her a similar question. She said the only guidelines she sticks by is no alcohol or smoking no raw sushi and throw your lunch meat away after 5 days (she says cold is fine). Raw eggs aren't bad for you...it's the tiny risk that there might be contamination in the raw eggs...there could also be contamination in the lettuce or any veggies that you ate on your salad.

Chances are extremely high that you are perfectly fine. Don't worry about it if the restaurant is reputable and does not have a reputation for getting people sick than you probably don't have anything to worry about!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had plenty of foods from the "black list" and am just fine. I agree with everything in moderation. You will be ok:)
  • I've also had plenty of "un-safe" foods on the no-no list, and me and baby are fine so far. Although I will say, the one time in my life I got food poisoning was from undercooked eggs, but it had to have salmonella or something which isn't the case with all raw eggs. Worst 2 days of my life. Just do what you can. 
  • I accidentally ate hollandaise and had a similar freak out but I'm fine. With it being summer I would love some homemade ice cream but that usually has raw eggs in it too.
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited June 2015
    Are you sick now?

If not, you're fine. 

Raw eggs aren't a magical abortion juice. :) They just carry a higher possibility of causing food poisoning. 

If it makes you feel any better, I've eaten sushi three times, had four alcoholic drinks, eat luncheon meats and LOVE mozzarella in my caprese salad. I've even eaten fast food, something I am actually quite anti-doing. 

We're both just fine.
  • Nope it's almost 48 hours later and I'm not sick at all. Thanks ladies!
  • Thanks for this thread! I've really been missing my Caesar salads and will have one this weekend with my mind at ease.

I actually got very sick after eating a hamburger from one of my favorite restaurants. I ate half a bacon cheddar cheeseburger on Saturday for lunch...I had the worst D ever later Sat and into Sunday. I have part of the leftovers to my dog Sunday night and she hasn't felt right for days :(

I bring my illness from a burger up because nothing was on the bad list but it made me soooo ill! Guess anything can make us sick if it's not prepared correctly.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thanks for this thread! I've really been missing my Caesar salads and will have one this weekend with my mind at ease.

I actually got very sick after eating a hamburger from one of my favorite restaurants. I ate half a bacon cheddar cheeseburger on Saturday for lunch...I had the worst D ever later Sat and into Sunday. I have part of the leftovers to my dog Sunday night and she hasn't felt right for days :(

I bring my illness from a burger up because nothing was on the bad list but it made me soooo ill! Guess anything can make us sick if it's not prepared correctly.

Amen!!! That's what I freak out about - food safety as a whole - not just certain items.
  • You are totally fine. I've had so many freak outs and honestly think that my obsessive googling has caused more damage in some weird way! I ate Cesar salad the other day and never even knew it could be an issue!
  • Don't believe the people saying everything in moderation because eating anything at any given time can get you sick and harm baby simply for the fact that your immune system is weak because of pregnancy regardless of before pregnancy. I just say take caution when eating the things you know your not supposed to eat people love to rave on here about how everyone is different but don't take that into consideration when it comes to foods that are directed by doctors to avoid like "oh you ate something that didnt make you sick?" "Im gonna do the same" hellloooooo everyone is different and isn't eating the same thing from the same place. Be careful.
  • I've done a ton of research about food safety. I really recommend the book "Expecting Better", it breaks down all the do's and don'ts with the actual research behind it. Basically she said that when it comes to food poisoning, the ones that are really bad for the fetus are listeria and toxoplasmosis (can get it from unwashed fruits and veggies). The other types of food poisoning suck to have while pregnant, but they act on your body the same way they usually would.

ETA: I'm a bit of a science nerd, so I love books with real statistical data. Take that into consideration with the book recommendation, LOL
    I just bought this book because of you! I'm a stats geek and strongly believe in making informed decisions based on statistics vs anecdotes. I hate scare tactics!

@Angelface225 there's a Ted Talk you should check out. It's by Talithia Williams and it's called "Own your body's data." She talks about how doctors were pressuring her to induce her pregnancy because she was at 41 weeks and the risk of miscarriage doubles once your past your due date. Being a statistician she asked, "doubles from what to what..like 20% to 40%?" And it ended up actually doubling from .1% to .2%. So she made the decision to wait.

She has a lot of little stories like that, so if you love stats, check it out!
  • I've done a ton of research about food safety. I really recommend the book "Expecting Better", it breaks down all the do's and don'ts with the actual research behind it. Basically she said that when it comes to food poisoning, the ones that are really bad for the fetus are listeria and toxoplasmosis (can get it from unwashed fruits and veggies). The other types of food poisoning suck to have while pregnant, but they act on your body the same way they usually would.

ETA: I'm a bit of a science nerd, so I love books with real statistical data. Take that into consideration with the book recommendation, LOL
    I just bought this book because of you! I'm a stats geek and strongly believe in making informed decisions based on statistics vs anecdotes. I hate scare tactics! @Angelface225 there's a Ted Talk you should check out. It's by Talithia Williams and it's called "Own your body's data." She talks about how doctors were pressuring her to induce her pregnancy because she was at 41 weeks and the risk of miscarriage doubles once your past your due date. Being a statistician she asked, "doubles from what to what..like 20% to 40%?" And it ended up actually doubling from .1% to .2%. So she made the decision to wait. She has a lot of little stories like that, so if you love stats, check it out!

Thanks @satindawl83 ! I'll watch it today!
    Married September 2013, Excited to welcome Baby Thompson December 2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've eaten a few ceasar salads (nowhere nice enough to worry that they made their dressing from scratch!). Feta and goat cheese are the ones that keep frustrating me (feta is typically pasteurized at the store but a restaurants might be more authentic!). 

Listeria is the really bad one that can cause miscarriages or stillborns and it only takes one exposure. I've avoided lunch meat, raw/cold sushi and runny eggs for this reason...but there have been a couple big outbreaks in ice cream (never on the list for listeria...Can you imagine telling pregnant women ice cream is off limits? Would anyone gain weight without it?). 

My doctor basically said make good decisions but in all reality an outbreak will typically come from an unexpected source (implying that stressing about everything is a bigger risk to your pregnancy than most things we are told to worry about!). 

• ktc18ktc18 member
    I'm putting all the " banned foods" in my pie hole and me and babe are just fine. Live it up!