Health & Exercise

Smoking While Expecting

Anyone have to quit smoking when they found out they were pregnant? Anyone live with smokers or have to deal with there significant other's smoking? Both? How do you handle it? I've heard of pregnant smokers but have never seen one with my own two eyes. I used to smoke and the first time I found out I was pregnant I was completely able to quit right then and there. The smoke made me SICK. But I'll admit this time I CRAVE everything about a cigarette almost like it's ice cream. I have given into temptation a few times and the guilt kills me!!!! Quit for over two years and now I've had a few once in a while. This pregnancy is so different than my last... Would like to know what other experiences are. Please want a judge free zone because I want to know if any one else might be going through something similar. Everybody knows how unhealthy cigarettes are.. It still baffles me how many butts you will find on a simple walk in the park.

Re: Smoking While Expecting

• I know how you feel.and I would be a liar if I said I haven't fallen in to temptation. It's hard when I honestly don't like them but the craving like all addictions are strong. What's worked for me is 1. Pin point why you want the cig. Is it A. Stress? B. social? C. Bored? Etc. Once you can figure that out learn to deal with any of those differently. I do this thing were I put it off until I finish something then I'll take another task and keep saying after this. But by the time I'm done with the 10 projects I started I'm over it. Mine triggers with stress. And my projects usually are some diy craft of cleaning and organizing. I know it's not easy it sucks really. But just keep trying. PM me if you want. No judgements here.
  • Going to TTC soon but we both smoke. I'm not planning on smoking during pregnancy but I don't want to quit before even though I know I will have a better chance of conceiving if we do quit...
  • Loading the player...
  • I used to smoke and my boyfriend currently still smokes. I've been craving them pretty bad lately too, but luckily he's got all the willpower for me. Plus, the way his face and clothes smell when he's done is enough to remind me that I REALLLLYYY don't need that inside me.
  • julie1445julie1445 member
    edited March 2015
    I smoked and quit in the first weeks i found out I was pregnant with each kid. With my first my husband and I used to smoke in the house before we had her, i had stopped but my husband still smoked in the house, i hated it so I lied and said it made me so sick and nauseous in the house so he would go in the entry way with the door to the living room shut and the outside door opened, so it still smelled but not as bad, secretly though I had to have him stop smoking near me for my health but also because I wanted one so bad and it was temptation. I still smoke when i drink when not pregnant or BFing, my husband now smokes in our garage since we moved to a new house
  • I was recently bashed on here for making a post about my pregnancy and that I quit smoking the moment we found out we were expecting, the negative was about smoking when TTC. (We had been TTC for 3 and a half years) Not only did it make me feel awful but it also made me really want a cigarette. I'm not one to judge at all, we all have our weaknesses and cravings. I've been smoke free since the 24th, even smelling one now makes me gag. Quitting cold turkey was HARD. If anyone needs someone to talk to you can PM me, I'll give all the support I can :) 

• If you can't do it on your own, ask your doc about Wellbutrin. It's better for you than smoking and my doc said it was fine to take for a month or so just to help manage the cravings.
  • I quit when I found out that I was pregnant. I hadn't been expecting to get pregnant and felt guilty for the amount I had smoked before taking the pregnancy test (due to stress it had increased from my regular intake close to when I found out). I haven't given in. I get a lot of support from my partner. The worst part has been that I still smoke in my dreams.
  • Is it safe to quit cold turkey while pregnant?
  • I quit cold turkey with all of my pregnancies. I did lose one, but it was unlikely that quitting smoking led to the miscarriage. It is hard, but can be done.
  • Smoking during pregnancy can reason tissue damage in the unborn baby, particularly in the lung and brain.  smoking, while you're pregnant, can serious problems, too. Your child might be premature or have a birth problem. Quitting smoking at any stage of pregnancy has health benefits for you and your baby.
  • I'm a beer, whiskey and tobacco type of girl. And as soon as I found out I was pregnant at 3 weeks. No alcohol. However I'm still smoking. And I just got into 6 weeks. I've cut down substantially and feel healthier already. My goal is to be tobacco free before my 2nd trimester. I eat and drink a lot of antioxidants to help counteract the effects along with exercise everyday and drinking extra water. I feel guilty but I'll snap if I cold turkey this thing. 
  • I quit smoking, which was very difficult before planning pregnancy because I always ate sweets