Health & Exercise

Mitral Valve Prolapse

I have known I have mvp for a very long time, probably 15 years. I typically never really noticed it unless it was around my menstrual cycle. Well since being pregnant ( I know you make way more blood and your heart pumps harder)  I have noticed the flutters, heart skipping a beat feeling a lot. I have talked to my OB who said its normal with all the extra blood flow. I had another EKG done by my family doctor and all that did was add anxiety and panic. If you don't know how to read an EKG or know what causes abnormalities, leave it to the cardiologist. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else out there has noticed worsening symptoms with pregnancy to help me not feel so 'crazy'. 

Re: Mitral Valve Prolapse

• brittnix86brittnix86 member
    edited June 2015
    Hey! I suffer with tachycardia and since becoming pregnant, this is my 4th by the way, I didn't develop tachycardia till after my first, I was like you I only noticed it during my period but now I literally think about what if my heart starts skipping or racing , I think my anxiety causes my heart to actually act up, I'm sure some could be the pregnancy but anxiety will kick it into high gear. I am on toprol for mine and have been for almost 9 years , I took it through all my pregnancies and when I have a day that it's really acting up I take an extra half which my cardiologist said was fine. I know we don't have same condition but it is close in nature so I hope this helps, I felt like I was the only one with a heart condition and worried about it all the time! Good luck, I wish you a happy healthy pregnancy!
  • According to doctors, mitral valve prolapse can be aggravated during pregnancy! https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/128914?promo_code=zfsc9o