Baby Names
Options

Middle Name Help

We're having a girl (yay!) and decided we like Steely for a first name, but we're having a tough time with a middle name.  We came up with two that we kind of like (Rose and Joan), but I don't think we're completely sold on either one of them.  Suggestions?

Re: Middle Name Help

• Options
    Congrats!  But, Steely?  Um..... 
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    Strong-willed, bright...  It's uncommon, but it has been used before.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited July 2015
    We know not everybody is going to like it, but we've gotten primarily positive feedback from people we know.  This site shows 5 boys last year and 27 girls between 2007 and 2012.  ETA: Yes, Danielle is out.  Ray is, too.
  • Options
    She was asking for opinions on the middle name, not the first. The first has been decided so maybe contribute to the middle name or don't say anything at all??

I'm not even a huge fan of it but sheesh you girls can be rough.

Anyways, Steely sounds like an adjective when paired with Rose, but I definitely like the way a one syllable middle name sounds along with it.

Steely Rae
    Steely Maeve
    Steely Claire
    Steely Quinn
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the input, @littlebean1222! I actually do like the sound of Ray/Rae, but it reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan.  Same reason Danielle is out.  Personally, I think Steely is a very unique name and I like it, but I know not everybody is going to agree with me.  I didn't expect a ton of positive feedback because it is admittedly unusual, but I have to say I'm surprised that it's being compared to names that are completely made up and/or "creatively" spelled...
  • Options
    It's different, but I like it.

I would use an obviously feminine mn, in case people question the sex.
    Claire
    June
    Charlotte
    Caroline
    Celeste
    Lauren
  • Options
    ecmbecmb member
    I actually like Steely. What about Steely Anne? Steely Kate?

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited July 2015
    Yes, @MamaWren919, it definitely needs to be a more traditional and feminine mn, since Steely is so unusual.  Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Steely as a name... and for a girl. All I think of is Steely Dan. Sorry.

I do agree that a traditionally feminine middle name would balance it out nicely though. I like the previous suggestion of Steely Kate.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    Can't get on board with Steely. At least you're considering a nice MN so she can use that.
  • Options
    Not a fan at all. It sounds like an adjective for the MN and/or last name.
    Triple LFAF IVF Cycle:

• Options
    Oh here we go again....

Steely is not a name. Do not name your daughter Steely. Step away from Steely.
  • Options
    I just can't imagine Steely on a grown woman. It sounds ridiculous. It might be cute up until she's seven. I would use it in the mn spot if you really love it.
  • Options
    Not my style, but hey! If you like it, go for it.

My middle name suggestions:
    Alexandria
    Wilhelmina
    Magnolia (kiddingggg. Steel Magnolias, anyone?)
    Genevieve
    Lorraine
    Elizabeth
    Josephine
    Morganna
    Anastasia
    Lorelei
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    LNic5LNic5 member
    Definitely different and definitely needs a super feminine middle name. Also, I agree with pp that paired with Rose it sounds like an adjective

Steely Eloise
    Steely Adelaide
    Steely Audra
    Steely Camilla
    Steely Charlotte
    Steely Bianca
    Steely Elena
    Steely Louisa
    Steely Eliza
    Steely Annabelle
    Steely Vivienne
    Steely Aurora