July 2015 Moms

Cervix checks painful?

I'm at the end of the July due dates, so I'm usually just playing catch up with the rest of you. I had my 36 week appointment today, and my Dr. checked for any dilating. It was much more painful than I had anticipated. I'm starting to worry that I'm just a really big baby, because no one else seems to be complaining! Did anyone else have this experience? I'm dilated to a 1 btw.

Re: Cervix checks painful?

• I've found that the first check when I was 1 cm was the most uncomfortable, the more dilated I get the easier they are.
  • NumajawaraNumajawara member
    edited July 2015
    No mama you're not the only one lol... When my doctor checked me it hurted and she said "sorry" lol... I wasn't expecting that feeling at all but maybe as we dilate more it will become less painful.
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually had my first check today when a I had the GBS swab because I was curious and I barely felt anything. I've been having braxton hicks contractions all day everyday so I just wanted to know if anything was going on. :-)
  • I was dilated today to a 1 and it hurt when he checked me. Last week he checked and it didn't hurt as bad and I wasn't dilated yet. It's a lot if pressure and very uncomfortable! I was gripping the chair and the nurse was just watching me . I was kinda embarrassed
  • I always find cervical checks uncomfortable.
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• Oh goodness, I am doing this tomorrow and no longer looking forward to it. 
  • I've been checked 4 times and I've been at 1 cm each time. It hurts every. Single. Time. When they check. The first two was a woman so it wasn't so terrible, but my male doctor has checked me the other two and WOWZA. I end up gripping the table and wincing it's horrible
  • abir12abir12 member
    My first two checks were with a different doctor and they were painful, but not too bad. Yesterday I went for my third check with my regular doctor and I almost cried! It hurt Soooo bad! I think she might have bigger hands than the other. She also said she couldn't reach my cervix and told the nurse I wasn't dilated yet when the past two checks I've been 2cm! That really did make me cry. Anyway I hope baby comes before she has to check me again! Lol
  • When my OB (a woman) checked me, she told me my cervix was "way far up there"....so she really had to force her small/short fingers up to find it- and oh man it was not pleasant either time! However, when she was out of town and the guy OB had to check me, he didn't have to reach as much and it wasn't as painful. He also had me lay with my knees/ankles "butterfly style" (Google yoga pose if you aren't sure) which really seemed to help!
  • Mine hurt when I was 1cm, but last week I was 2 (almost 3) and it didn't hurt. Maybe I was more psychologically prepared, or maybe it hurts less the more dilated you are. I'm not sure. 
  • mine HURT LIKE HELL!!! way far worse than any other normal pelvic exam, those are usually just uncomfortable rather than painful but HOLY F***! at that point I was not effaced or dilated and I hear that they hurt less when there's some progress? Not sure though. As with everything else, everyone's different!
  • When I had mine done When I was completely closed and 1 cm dilated if hurt the most.
  • Oh godthe cervix checks suck. I gripped my mans arm hard and managed to scare the shit out of him. It hurt like a mother trucker! The cramping after sucked too and I was dilated at 1 cm the first time and I also was softened.

Today was my third one and it wasn't as bad but still painful a bit but that was the stretching part to help me not go to far past my due date. I'm due Friday the 3rd. At least everything is lined up more, cervix is shorter and now a good 2 cms. So hopefully this weekend!
  • I was 1 1/2 last week and it's didn't really hurt. My OB warned my that it could be painful because the cervix is sensitive during pregnancy.
  • Sorry it hurt you too, but it is comforting to know I'm not the only one! I hope you all have safe and speedy progress from here on out :)
  • I'm getting checked for my first time tomorrow... no longer looking forward to it :|
  • I'm getting checked for my first time tomorrow... no longer looking forward to it :|

the good thing is it doesn't really last all that long @mandalynn814 ! you'll be fine :)
  • I don't think they're painful really, just uncomfortable.
  • It is ALOT of pressure, I kept thinking "please don't let me poop on the table" but it only takes 20 sec. I tell myself I can do anything for 20 sec so just make sure you're relaxed (as you can be) and go to your happy place. They're done before you know it. It does seem to get easier the more you're dilated. Plus I just look forward to see how I'm progressing :)
  • It was exciting to hear that things were progressing. It is tolerable because it doesn't last long. I don't want to scare anyone! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone
  • Man I got checked for the first time yesterday and it was so painful. Not dilated at all! Due July 29th so not surprising but no one told me it would hurt! But I had a lady with short fingers so I basically got fisted. I scheduled my next exam with a male dr that I noticed a few times ago has longer fingers so maybe it will be less painful lol. But he's my favorite dr so I was going to schedule with him next week anyway.
  • My last two hurt but the female doctors have smaller hands then my male doctor who did the first check. I barely felt anything when he did it and I wasn't dilated. The last two I was at a 1 but the third was the most painful. I think it really depends on the doctor doing it.
  • Aaaand I'm never ever getting my cervix checked.

#-o
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @Mudhappy you might get lucky and it won't be painful, it isn't for everyone :) more uncomfortable than anything better if you're mentally prepared for possible pain.
  • @mudhappy you can decline them until your in labor. My dr doesn't won't do them unless you ask.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• @gotdiesel2007 looks like I will be doing that! My midwives haven't even mentioned them and I'm 36 weeks.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • eclohoecloho member
    That's Sucks ouch! I had my 36 week appointment today and they did not check my cervix… I asked if they were going to at the next appointment and my doctor said they typically don't unless we request because it's not really a reliable indicator of anything...
  • itsrandiyoitsrandiyo member
    edited July 2015
    I was super surprised it hurt as well! But it's not something to be scared about PP's :) it's over in a couple seconds! I was also not dialated at all, and haven't been so I don't know if it feels better if your more dialted. But I'm sure when LO is actually ready and coming out we will all be wishing to have a cervix exam instead, pain wise. Ha
  • I've been getting checked almost every appointment since 30 weeks due to preterm labor. Sometimes they're uncomfortable sometimes they're not. I'm not dilated yet, I find the more I relax and concentrate on breathing out when she's up in there the less uncomfortable it is.
  • I've been checked twice and each time I wasn't dilated. I didn't find it painful so much but it's very uncomfortable.
  • Had my first one at my 36 week appointment last week. It was very uncomfortable, not unbearably painful but certainly not pleasant, and I wasn't quite 1 cm. We will see if it's any better tomorrow!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just a little uncomfortable, but no pain.
  • VTomanVToman member
    It was uncomfortable, but it wasn't exactly painful. But, everybody's different. I've been checked 3 times now, and the first time was the worst. Second time didn't hurt at all
    The third time was a little uncomfortable but not as bad as the first time. I had spotting after both my first and third checks. I felt like it was worth it so I had an idea of how things are progressing.
  • I've heard that it depends on where your cervix is located as well as how dilated you are. The more dilated, it's supposed to hurt less (which I would agree was my experience with DD). Also, different docs have different techniques and I've been told that affects things as well.
  • I had my first one today and was dilated to 1. I didn't think it was painful just uncomfortable. But like others have said were all made differently so it could be more painful for others.
  • It hurts. Tho I learned that (male) practitioners with bigger hands or longer fingers don't have to reach as high/deep. It helps if you breathe slowly through it. And try to relax.
  • Ooh yes. I've been checked 3 times and it hurrrrts. Even after dilating 2 cm, I wanted to punch my doctor. It's weird because I don't remember it hurting with my son but that was almost 9 years ago.
  • I've been checked the past 3 weeks and am barely dilated a 1 each time. It has been very painful each time. My dr did say the more you dilate the less painful it is. Just wasn't expecting it to be so uncomfortable. The things people don't tell you lol.
  • I got checked at 35 weeks because I started having contractions during a preeclampsia evaluation. It was more painful than I anticipated. I had BH that night every 5 minutes that lasted a minute for like 3 hours. I hated it....and the nurse that checked me had long nails.
  • I have never experienced pain! Just like a regular old pelvic exam