July 2015 Moms
Options

Stitches vs staples for c-section

claudia3059claudia3059 member
edited June 2015 in July 2015 Moms
I just had my OB appointment and the doc told me they would use staples to close my incision. This worries me as staples have a higher complication rate and may lead to more scarring than stitches. When I asked him about that he told me if the staples are taken out within 4 days the staples will not leave any more scaring than stiches and I will only have a small thin line on my abdomen.
Please don't hate me, but I have been super lucky this whole pregnancy and I don't have one single stretch make on my belly. I also feel my stomach is my best attribute as my arms and legs are thicker so wearing bikinis is important to me.

I'm really worried about this and I'm considering switching to a different practice with more c-section experience (my hospital has the lowest c-section rate in the state) but I'm 38 weeks on Thursday.

Does anyone have any advice on scarring after c-section and how they were sutured?

Re: Stitches vs staples for c-section

• Options
    This is something new to me. I never heard of being stapled for a c section. Sounds like it could cause more infection. That's what I would be worried about.
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    The incision should be below the bikini line, no one but you will ever see it. Mine was a little over 2 years ago, stitches, and it's hardly noticeable anymore.

My husband has had multiple surgeries throughout his life, some staples and some stitches. His most recent surgery (5 years ago) resulted in staples. That scar is less noticeable than a lot of his that had stitches. In fact the only scar he has from staples that's noticeable goes from about halfway down his torso all the way past his belly button (vertical). The only reason that one is so prominent is because he experienced a great trauma and there was no time to make a "pretty incision" or staple it in a nice way.

All of that to say, your scar shouldn't be seen by the general public (even in a bikini) and I've seen both types of closures result in nice scars.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No c-section experience but I would really recommend you look into the possibility of switching to a hospital that has more experience performing them even though it's late in the game. If it were a kidney transplant wouldn't you want the place that does 1000 procedures a year vs the one that does 30? Especially with your concern about scarring.
  • Options
    I had a c-section with my first DD. Had staples, no problems and the incision is barely noticeable. Good luck momma!
  • Options
    klirwin82 said:

No c-section experience but I would really recommend you look into the possibility of switching to a hospital that has more experience performing them even though it's late in the game. If it were a kidney transplant wouldn't you want the place that does 1000 procedures a year vs the one that does 30? Especially with your concern about scarring.

This is another major concern of mine. I called the other hospital about 20 more minutes away and they told me they never use staples unless the patient is obese. I'm having trouble communicating this to my husband but I think he's taken aback by the sudden change.
  • Options
    My sister was stapled for both of hers. When she's in a bathing suit, you can't even see her scar, as it's closer down to her pubic bone below where the bathing suit sits. Good luck!
    First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I just had a csection and I got stitches, I like it better and it's more comfortable :)
  • Options
    I worked postpartum years ago and we were a small hospital. Never used staples or sutures. They always used this dissolving glue so once you're done you are done. No need to go back to get anything removed. Pts had less complications and better satisfaction. Less scaring. I would switch. Nothing wrong with staples but they just aren't used for c sections now it's old practice
  • Options
    The overall medical evidence is that there is no difference in scarring between sutures and staples- hence why staples have been preferred for many years as they are quicker and easier... The deeper layers are still sutured, the staples are just for skin. Scarring is always a risk as a number of factors can influence this. I have a nasty keloid scar from a small para umbilical hernia repair, closed by sutures, lovely and clean, initially very neat and uniform. Personally I would rather they used what is routine than try to accommodate me with a technique they are less familiar with. If I need a c section scarring is one of the last things I'll be worrying about, so many more important risks xx
  • Options
    mnknoxmnknox member
    I had a c-section with daughter in 2005 and Dr used the dissolving glue. I had no scarring or pain, in fact I was up and moving that same day and able to go home two days after delivery. However this time around even thou I'd like to try vbac my Dr really pushing for a c-section with staples. Ive voiced my concerns about the healing process (scarring and getting around) and she assured me that I may be in a little more discomfort but the scarring should be the same. Besides the scar is so very low (right above your pubic hairs) even in a bikin no one will even know its there.
  • Options
    brobinw89brobinw89 member
    edited July 2015
    I Work in the OR where our team also assists in c sections. For a while the docs were closing the skin with suture, then got introduced to the Insorb stapler. This is an absorbable stapler that approximates your tissue under the skin. It absolutely leaves a more cosmetic scare where the suture left more of a red/raised scar. I have not seen the staples they have to remove used on our c section patients and believe it is because it does not leave a very appealing scar. Also, if the facility your going to does not do many sections I would request that they close your peritoneum. It's more common now a days to do so but it also depends on that docs practice. This will reduce adhesions and make for a much easier section of you have another little one. Regardless the scar will be just below your bikini line and over time like any other scar will fade a bit. Good luck to you and I hope it goes smoothly for you both!
  • Options
    I have had 2 cs thus far, #3 to be done in a few days. I have a very low scar that is not noticeable and my ob used sutures that disolve for the inner layers and then steri strips for the outside. Hardly any scar at all!
  • Options
    I had staples with both mine thst I had so far and I barely have a scar... this time around it will be sutures.
  • Options
    Sutures and steri strips here, too. So far so good! DH has had multiple abdominal surgeries and he was closed with staples. At first you could see small white marks where the staples were, but they have faded to nothing. I think my scar will end up looking very similar!
  • Options
    I just had a c section on June 27. Baby was due July 6 but decided to arrive early.
    I got staples to close the skin. The doctor removed them yesterday and had a mirror right there to show me. I didn't see any marks at the time. They are just teeny lil staples.
    I have no stretch marks either and the c section line looks awesome!!!
    Good luck with whatever you decide!