March 2016 Moms

Pregnancy nutrition

Hey everyone! So I just found out I am expecting my second and I am wanting to eat healthier this pregnancy. Last pregnancy I gained way to much weight. I had the mentality I was preggo so I could eat what I wanted. I ended up losing 50 lbs since giving birth in March 2013 and I don't want the cycle to repeat itself this pregnancy! Does anyone have any healthy lunch or dinner ideas or recipes they want to share? Mainly lunch! I feel like I'm in a lunch rut.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pregnancy nutrition

• Man, I really need lunch ideas for work too. I've been bringing salads in a mason jar and peanut butter and honey sandwiches. We have a microwave so I also like to bring canned veggies and heat them up (green beans with garlic salt, mmm).
  • DH and I have been on a big salad kick the past few weeks. I buy a big bag of mixed greens (organic kale, spinach, and chard) from Costco. The bag is huge, organic, triple washed, and only $5.50. I've been adding some sunflower seeds, avocado, and craisins to it and dinner is served in less than 10 minutes. I'm loving how it's so healthy yet incredibly inexpensive.

For lunch, we've been doing lots of peanut butter sandwiches recently. I need some new ideas as well!
  • Loading the player...
  • I blog about whole food diets... and meal plan... and make shopping lists if you are lazy.  I don't track for calories for diet but to ensure I get enough and a baseline of my macros.  I currently eat: 100g fat, 140g protein, 80-200g of carbs depending on mood that day

Here are all my resources with more and more to come! https://realfoodchemists.com/category/weekly-menu-plans/

• I've been using the daily dozen from what to expect when you're expecting. If you don't have the book, they have it online too.
  • I am also in need of lunch ideas. I realized at lunchtime today that my emergency Subway footlong backup is no more.
  • I had rice cakes with peanut butter and banana on them today and it was really good and filling! I have been loving Paneras soba noodle bowl as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @sdemilio1231 Good call on the rice cakes! I actually have done that have been sitting in a cabinet for weeks now. I am definitely busting them open tomorrow!
  • @katy0990 when I go to subway I just ask them to microwave the meat first, then I have them toast it too. Generally it is ok to eat deli meat if it is heated to steaming.

Lately I bought homemade buttermilk biscuits from the farm market and have been having it with cheese. This week I treated myself and bought Brie (pasteurized of course). I also like to switch things up with pita chips and hummus or blue corn tortilla chips and salsa
  • I cook for 4-6 people instead of the 2 of us this leaves us left overs for lunch (also helps with portion control to pot up your lunches while plating).  If its something that can be frozen and I have extras I throw a couple in the freezer for days when I don't have a planned lunch.  I also love big salads packed with fat from avocado, cheese and homemade mayo dressing.  I think hot meat is always better on a salad so I make big batches of barbacoa or pulled pork and portion into pots to just heat and throw on salad.  (These portion pots are also easy to freeze for later).
  • @stormiewinter Thanks for the tip!