February 2016 Moms

Gender Reveal

anyone here planning on doing one?

I'm thinking of doing a cake just for the family (parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles and first cousins and one best friend - about 25 of us)

People know it's not a gift giving event, right? I don't want to seem gift grabby doing a gender reveal then having a shower later on.

We have a really cool community room in my new apt. building with a terrace, kitchen, movie room, pool table, etc and it's all cute and hipster-like lol with reclaimed wood, funky seating and colorful antlers mounted on the wall and you can rent it for 200 dollars so was thinking of doing that in mid-September and maybe getting a cool cake from cake boss or empire in nyc.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Gender Reveal

• We're not having a shower so we plan on doing a gender reveal/pregnancy announcement later this month/early next month. I am not sure what we will be doing.
  • Loading the player...
  • ^ I think what @Hbirdie means is that you are having a sex reveal, not a gender reveal. 
    me: 29 DH: 30
    Married 3.6.15
    EDD of Baby S 2.5.16

LFAF-July Siggy
  • HBirdie said:

I'm going to be honest, I would feel extremely odd going to a 25 person party in a rented room with cake if I did not have a gift in hand. It seems a little grabby to me personally.

It's really just in my apartment building (they won't know it's rented) with my immediate family.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm just not a fan, but then again, I'm team green. I do agree with @HBirdie that I would feel odd showing up without a gift. It seems to me that most people in my  hometown area who have them essentially do them for gifts.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• We aren't having one because HOPEFULLY we are team green this time.

However, if we were to find out we may do a gender announcement via social media but not a party per sey. Though Pinterest has some awesome ideas. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yeah, no. Those feel completely gift granny to me. No thanks. If you want immediate family over, have them for dinner and have a cake or something to surprise them with.
    Hey! That's what we are doing! Sweet! haha! 
    Married 3.6.15
    EDD of Baby S 2.5.16

LFAF-July Siggy
  • I want to do some sort of sex reveal when the time comes. If I do a "party" it would only be some small dinner with parents and thats it. No gifts, no large amount of people. If I do not do the "party" it will just be some cute photos that I have. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Just to be clearer my 25 people are my immediate family. My aunts and uncles are closer to siblings to me. My mom was 23 when she had me and was the oldest and I grew up in the same house as them all. For instance, one of my uncles is 35 lol. I'm 30.
    So it's who I consider to be my immediate family. We do Birthday cakes for everyone with just the same group so it'd be just another occasion with pizza and cake. I live in the city so I don't have a big house, I'll have to have them in them community room.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • RRC216RRC216 member
    I want to do one too!! For my gender reveal I am doing a cake! Something simple! Fill it with blue or pink candies! Fun fun fun! Gender reveal, Sex reveal, Call it whatever you want sweetie!

Mommy to my Angel baby Domenico Anjelo M/C 11 weeks 12/20/2014
    C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks
    BFP 6/15 /15 Due: 2/25/16

• I think if you are worried people will bring you gifts and you are being "present hungry" I would find some way to make it clear no presents are to be brought. If you are doing written invites put it on there or if your just telling everyone then I would just let them know you are not wanting any gifts just a way to have fun revealing the sex with the family.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think if you are worried people will bring you gifts and you are being "present hungry" I would find some way to make it clear no presents are to be brought. If you are doing written invites put it on there or if your just telling everyone then I would just let them know you are not wanting any gifts just a way to have fun revealing the sex with the family.
    I'd be weary of this. Technically mentioning gifts at all is bad etiquette - even to say no gifts.

We didn't want people to bring gifts for DD's birthday because she has enough stuff. It was a shit show. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• I don't think I'll be doing a reveal party. I do have a big family so I may just reveal at a get together with a cake or something cute and fun.
  • mrs3615mrs3615 member
    edited July 2015
    Yeah - when people tell me no gifts I think "ha. I do what I want".... I know sometimes that's annoying but I always feel obligated when gifts are mentioned at all.

Edit because fat fingers hit save comment too soon
    Married 3.6.15
    EDD of Baby S 2.5.16

LFAF-July Siggy
  • pai314pai314 member
    I've been to a few, know several people who have had these parties & had one myself. Yes some people brought gifts to some of the parties (mostly just grandparents) but most people don't bring gifts. People usually just enjoy getting together & they love finding out what baby is!
  • newjnewj member
    Baby showers are thrown largely with the intention of "showering" the family with gifts for the new baby. A reveal is for just that - a reveal, a surprise, the joy of having family and friends come together to celebrate the news with you. I haven't been to a reveal before but honestly, if I were invited to one I would probably ask if there was anything I could bring for the party and bring a bottle of wine! Don't feel weird about the gift thing.
  • We did reveal shower combo. we had it early since we lived far away we wouldn't have to drive when I was about to pop in the middle of the winter.

I have never been to a reveal but I would feel weird just going without anything. Can you just wait and do them together or just not have a huge party, and just have maybe your parents? Our immediate family is about that many too so for baby 2 we are definitely not having a party
  • RRC216RRC216 member
    I would maybe do a bbq, and do a surprise reveal! So they think they are coming for a bbq but really your revealing! So that helps with the gift situation!

C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks

• RRC216RRC216 member
    edited July 2015
    I want to do one too!! For my gender reveal I am doing a cake! Something simple! Fill it with blue or pink candies! Fun fun fun! Gender reveal, Sex reveal, Call it whatever you want sweetie!
    @CicchettiFamily - No, it's not the same thing. I get people confuse them (hell, I do), but gender and sex are not the same thing. One is between your ears, one is between your legs. You're kind of insulting the whole section of the population who's sex doesn't match their gender.

That said...

I think it's totally fine if you want to have one, they just aren't common here. But neither are big baby showers like they have in the South.
    I'm insulting? Just relax! Geez! It's not the end of the world! Taking a little word so personally. You research sex reveal, and it immediately corrects you and calls it gender reveal. You look it up on pinterest, YouTube, and ppl are calling it gender reveal. So that's what I have always called it, and apparently most of the internet. Sorry I'm offending you, but what I call it should not bother you. yes gender and sex are two completely different things, but that's how most ppl research the topic is "gender reveal". Have a lovely day ladies!
    @CicchettiFamily - It's still wrong and insulting to transgender people. It bothers me when people are ignorant and choose to ignore the struggles of any minority group. Just because everyone else calls it something doesn't make it right. And continuing to propagate a term when you know it to be wrong and offensive is a pretty shitty thing to do. Change has to start somewhere.
    @magnumj No need for name calling! It's quite rude!

C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks

• I thought about it but changed my mind. The main reason being that I just don't think our friends and family care that much about what sex our unborn child is. I'm sure they love us dearly and want to support us and are excited for us, but I don't really think they care about the sex of our child. Also, when I tried to think of how to host without people feeling obligated to bring a gift, I just realized they would still feel like they should and that's not what I wanted. One idea I might do is a private event with a photographer like in that Britney Spears parody pregnancy announcement (water guns spray pink or blue at mom and dad to be). I think that would be fun and I'd like to have pics to remember. Either way it's your decision. If you want to do it and you think it will be fun for your family then go for it! It's your pregnancy and life. Do what you want to do!

That's exactly why I'm not inviting friends - I don't think they'd care that much. But, my immediate family would be into it.

I guess my mom can casually spread the word that gifts aren't expected. It'd be the first time everyone would be seeing my apt so they may be more apt to bring something for the apartment although I hope they don't - I have no space lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • mrs3615 said:

We are having my dad and DH's parents over for dinner and for dessert we are eating a cake that will reveal the sex. The baker who is making it also made our wedding cake and seriously I look for any excuse to eat her cake because she is amazing. It's going to be 5-7 people (So, us, and our parents) and that's it. We are finding out with them. We don't want a big production, but we'd like to find out with some family members who will be curious to know also. It's nothing fancy but it will be fun for us. 

edit because the 5-7 number includes both sets of DH's parents, but we aren't sure if both will be free to join us. 
    Great. Thanks. Now all I can think about is eating cake.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• RRC216RRC216 member
    edited July 2015
    @Magnumj      You are calling me ignorant. I am really done with this topic. We call it 2 different things. Period! Have a good one!

C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks

• I kept trying to find fun ways to announce from the hospital with my youngest (we didn't find out with him). I never really found anything, but something I did was post on facebook that baby was here, but didn't announce gender. We had decided on Charles or Charlotte and we would call the baby Charlie either way. People had to come visit to find out. Once my family had visited we posted about gender. We also called DH's family since they live so far away and let them know. One thing I liked was coloring in either the "he" or "she" on a hershey's bar. I thought it was cute and original. We'll see if I can come up with something clever this time, but I doubt it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • RRC216RRC216 member
    edited July 2015
    @magnumj Lol, last time I checked, I never said who cares. She was asking for thoughts and ppl were correcting her. Not what she asked for. But sure, get upset. I have better things to do than get in a little argument. It's not what I come here for! Best of luck to you!

C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks

• @magnumj Lol, last time I checked, I never said who cares. She was asking for thoughts and ppl were correcting her. Not what she asked for. But sure, get upset. I have better things to do than get in a little argument. It's not what I come here for! Best of luck to you!

She was corrected and accepted it gracefully...

To respond the her question though, we won't be doing one. I wouldn't have a party for this particular reason, but if you happened to have family over for whatever, doing the sex reveal would be cool I guess. I don't live near family, so there's no point for me.
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think your party sounds like a great idea. I get the number of people - I come from a prolific hispanic family, between my husband and I the "close family" count is 17 (and that's being cutthroat).

I don't want to have a shower because I'll be a second time mom, but now that you wrote this I think that a party like this sounds like a great compromise.
    Really, it seems to me, it's an excuse to celebrate you and your family, and there is nothing wrong with that.

With regards to the gifts, I think you should do what you feel works for you and your family. Are they big into etiquette? Then don't mention the gift thing and try to bill this more as a party. If you are a close, informal bunch, I don't think it would hurt to let everyone know that this is something you are doing for them and don't want anything in return.
    As a side note, everyone sense of what one 'should' do differs. I was taught that you should NEVER go anywhere you were invited without bringing something for the host, even something small. So if I was invited, even if I knew you weren't fishing for gifts, I would bring something, because you went through all the trouble of providing a venue, food, drinks, and other entertainment for me.

Also, we did something similar in feel for our first child, only it was a meet and greet party when we traveled to Florida with the baby the first time (We live in CA now). We had already had our baby shower, and most of these people had shipped us gifts even though they couldn't attend. We were only going to be in Florida 9 days and wanted everyone to be able to meet the baby so we decided that throwing a party and having everyone come to us would be easiest. We sent out invitations, rented a public park pavilion and got food and drinks and stuff. A few people brought gifts, which we weren't expecting, but we just graciously accepted them and sent thank you notes. In the end it was a laid back afternoon where we celebrated the new addition to the family.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was thinking about doing a close family reveal too but still on the fence about it. One of the invites I saw on Pinterest says "Please join us for hors d'oeurves..." and I kind of like that because to me that says short and casual gathering. And I know my family won't bring gifts so it's not a problem here.
    My husband is an avid fishermen so I was mostly looking at the Lures or Lace theme. Anyways, we'll see.

• I plan on having one. I just think its fun and a good way to bring people together I haven't had much time to see and catch up with. Hearing everyones guess and revealing the actual sex is going to be pretty awesome! Nothing major tho! Just something small amoungst close friends and family. I really just hope I dont get to anxious