February 2016 Moms

Tylenol???

Hello! During my first pregnancy my dr said Tylenol was safe to use. Now I'm reading these new studies that say it might not be. I know it's best not to use any medication whatsoever but I get the worst pregnancy headaches where it's hard to move, go to work, or take care of my first baby. Any tips on how to rid headaches without Tylenol? Anyone have feed back from dr about the subject? I still don't see my dr for another month. Thanks!

Re: Tylenol???

• For my first pregnancy I asked my doctor about this because my mom read an article saying not to take Tylenol.  He said obviously they recommend taking as little medication as possible, but if you have to take something, he would reccomend Tylenol.
    Pregnancy Ticker  

• kayjay44kayjay44 member
    edited June 2015
    If it's the study that came out in 2013/2014, they didn't establish causation in that study. If you read any of the interviews with the researchers, they clearly state that there is a link between Tylenol use during pregnancy and ADD (I think that's what it was), but they don't know if Tylenol causes it, if being pregnant with an affected child causes you to take more Tylenol, or if a third factor (say headaches or stress) causes both.

ETA: So basically, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I only take it when I absolutely have to.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Loading the player...
  • If you would like to avoid Tylenol try Peppermint oil. I get migraines and the oil helps better than medication. I also drink a bit a caffeine to help but I know not everyone is comfortable with that.
  • Thanks for your replies, ladies! It's hard not to stress over everything when preggo. I think I will try some peppermint oil and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion. All the best to you all
  • I get bad headaches too but luckily I'm on hiatus til the end of the month so work isn't an issue right now. I prefer to try not to take anything now that I'm pregnant. I'll put a cool washcloth on my head and try to sleep through it.
    Once I start working again, if I get that bad of a headache, I'll have to work from home. I throw up from bad headaches so I definitely wouldn't be able to stay.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My OB actually recommended a small amount of caffiene to help with headaches in my first pregnancy. It was a life saver. Just a coke or 1/2 cup of coffee would help tremendously.
  • Bohemama22Bohemama22 member
    edited July 2015
    I had the worst migrane last night, felt like my head was being split open- I used a really cold compress and it took the edge of it. I don't know if you have it in the US but there's a product called 4Head which is like a cooling stick for headaches- it's meant to be really good to use in pregnancy.
  • I had the worst migrane last night, felt like my head was being split open- I used a really cold compress and it took the edge of it. I don't know if you have it in the US but there's a product called 4Head which is like a cooling stick for headaches- it's meant to be really good to use in pregnancy.
    I'm not sure if we have that, but I use something called Biofreeze. It's like Icy/Hot, only doesn't get hot, just stays with the cold sensation. I used it for sore muscles after a bad car accident a few years ago, and then got into the habit of putting it on the back of my neck when I'd feel a migraine start to come on. Works pretty well.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Bfavors said:
    I had the worst migrane last night, felt like my head was being split open- I used a really cold compress and it took the edge of it. I don't know if you have it in the US but there's a product called 4Head which is like a cooling stick for headaches- it's meant to be really good to use in pregnancy.
    I'm not sure if we have that, but I use something called Biofreeze. It's like Icy/Hot, only doesn't get hot, just stays with the cold sensation. I used it for sore muscles after a bad car accident a few years ago, and then got into the habit of putting it on the back of my neck when I'd feel a migraine start to come on. Works pretty well.
    Biofreeze is awesome. So is Tiger Balm, which is like Icy Hot on crack.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Peppermint essential oil works great! just dilute it with coconut oil and rub on your temples
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bfavors said:

I was in a bad car accident last year too. I love biofreeze for the same reason. Also, I asked both my chiropractor and midwife and they both agreed it's safe for pregnancy.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!