TTC After a Loss

When to trust an OPK with falling HCG?

I've always heard the rumor that OPKs will turn positive if you're pregnant, but finally saw it for myself today.

My $-store HPT is showing a faint positive, pretty much equal to my first faint positive with the last pregnancy at 11DPO. Assuming I'm falling textbook, I should be at a beta of 39, so I'm hoping for a -HPT in the next day or two.

My $-store OPK is showing a test line slightly darker than the control line. I'm guessing this is the leftover HCG triggering this? Will I be able to trust my OPKs in a couple days if my HPTs are negative?

My saliva OPK microscope shows full-on ferning, so estogen is nice and raring to go, so that's good news, right?

Re: When to trust an OPK with falling HCG?

• I use the Clearblue Advanced opk and last cycle I got 7 flashing smileys (estrogen surge) followed by a solid smiley. But my bbt chart looked like I had ovulated 5 days before that. I took a pregnancy test two days later and it was a faint positive. When I called the dr's office, they said that since it was only CD17, it was probably leftover hcg. A blood test two days later showed hcg of 7 and two days after that, it was 6. It was leftover hcg and it was dropping very slowly.

To sum up, I suggest taking an HPT after your next AF is finished. If it's negative, try the opk's. If it isn't, wait until the next cycle.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• So prior to your CD17 HPT, had you not used HPTs to track your drop?

I'm hoping to see a -HPT before my FW this month and I have a beta draw this Friday on 7/3, FF says I might O on 7/6 or 7/7, but there's really no telling.

Has anyone experienced a rise in beta HCG from retained tissue? Or does retained tissue just cause the beta to stagnate or fall super slowly?

Fingers crossed for a Snow White HPT soon so then if I start seeing a line in 2 weeks again, it might be the real thing.

I'm sorry your +HPT was lingering from the last pregnancy. I hope it clears out soon and you get your rainbow baby soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • That false positive was my first HPT since the one before my miscarriage. I had heard that you can't get AF until the hcg is gone, so I assumed getting AF would mean it was gone. Unfortunately, that wasn't true for me.

I'm sure it's gone at this point. It was 6 on June 4th. I'm pretty sure I ovulated 5 days ago.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Yep, I was reading that you can still ovulate with lingering HCG in your system, otherwise HCG would be an ingredient in birth control pills. It's actually the falling progesterone (an actual birth control ingredient) from losing your uterine lining via your period/D&C/miscarriage that triggers your ovaries to start producing follicles. So yes, you can ovulate and I assume have that trigger a period with minimal residual levels of HCG in your system.