How long does it last? — The Bump
TTC After a Loss

How long does it last?

hi ladies,
First time posting since my loss. It's acually my 2nd loss. I had a blighted ovum natural miscarriage 8 months after my daughter was born. It was horrific. Now a year later I've had a miscarriage at 9 weeks. I had my D&C 5 weeks ago. My af came back at 4 weeks exactly with both miscarriages and was normal. But this time around my AF ended on schedule and 2 days later I've started heavily spotting each day for the past 3 days. Mostly brown but occasionally heavier red. I was so excited to finally be back to normal and start ttc but now this? Have any of you experienced this? How long did it last? Can I still ttc? My dr is on vacation for 2-3 more days! Lame!
rachajoy09

Re: How long does it last?

• Don't let this discourage you from feeling like things are getting back to normal. After some losses, the body finds the same normal, but after others, the body jumps around for a few months before either finding the same normal again or just defining a new normal. It isn't at all uncommon to have extra spotting after a D&C, and it might even continue for a while. Most doctors will recommend waiting a certain number of cycles after a D&C before trying again, because the uterine lining gets scrapped very thin in order to make sure no tissue is retained. So, be sure to wait to TTC until you talk to your doctor about your specific case. If your doctor specifically cleared you to try this cycle, the extra days of spotting probably won't make a difference. However, f you have any doubts, wait until next cycle. If for no other reason than preventing unnecessary guilt if you do get pregnant and the worst happens. It's not that you would have done anything wrong by following your doctors advice, don't think I'm saying that. It's just that repeat losses, like all losses, suck, but they have an added level of mindfuck and it is too easy to start looking for reasons to blame yourself. In the long run, waiting an extra cycle will not effect your chances of having the family you want for yourself. Best of luck moving forward, and I hope you get a chance to talk to your doc as soon as they get back from vacation.

All advice given based on lengthy personal experience.

I am not a doctor, I just have a working medical vocabulary.

Always available to answer questions about loss, infertility, and TRP.

imageimage

diannahmGhanimaAtreidesmyndihallberg
  • Thank you for your response. My doc said to wait one cycle. She also said that if the spotting lasts more than 7 days that I would need to be seen. So far the past 24 hours have been clear... So here's to hoping that's the end of my first cycle!