Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Baby smiles...or lack of?

My son is turning 4 months tomorrow and I've been blessed to be able to take a year off from work...so I've been home with him since birth.  He smiles at me all day long, giggles, it's the best.  My husband works A LOT so he gets some smiles, not as much as me, and as for everyone else,...my son is known as "Mr. Serious".  I don't know a lot of ppl in this area as I'm not from here...so I have to admit it's been pretty quiet for him just being with me mostly for the past 4 months.  I started taking him to story time at the library once a week just so he sees other kids and strangers but most of the other play groups in this area are for older babies (at least 6 months and up).  I am trying to meet ppl but it's happening slowly.  Is this a normal developmental thing that he only smiles at me?  I don't want to stunt him socially but aside from what I am already doing I don't know what else I can do to have him interact with others... suggestions? 

Re: Baby smiles...or lack of?

• I mean this in the nicest possible way but you are TOTALLY overthinking this. Your 4 month old is used to you and comfortable with you. That's perfectly normal and reasonable for that age. IMO, all of the socializing and classes and outings that people do with really young babies does nothing except overstimulate them! Try all that when your LO is older but now, just let him be a baby and get used to the world. I'm not saying don't socialize, but don't try so hard that you stress yourself out. Your baby is just now developing a personality so give it some time :)
  • Thanks!  I know...Im a first time mom so I overthink EVERYTHING...Im trying to be more relaxed but just want to do what is best for him.  Thanks for the insight!
  • Loading the player...
  • BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited June 2015
    Thanks!  I know...Im a first time mom so I overthink EVERYTHING...Im trying to be more relaxed but just want to do what is best for him.  Thanks for the insight!
    The fact that you care about this and are thinking of it shows you are doing a great job :)
  • Omg I'm in this EXACT SAME situation . The only difference is that my son is almost 5 months . I think it's normal . He won't laugh at ANYONE but me let alone just a small smile . It's gotten to the point where people are telling me that I should have him check because he should be more 'engaged' with them . my grandmother is pretty much bombarding us ALLLLL day because she wants him to know her . I know he's okay though because he does everything they are looking but only with me . And it's understandable because he's with me literally 24/7 AND he breastfed .